Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

is there any way to separate the front seat portions in a T/A w/o removing the seat?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008 | 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Default is there any way to separate the front seat portions in a T/A w/o removing the seat?

i'm going to be getting my seats recovered with the hawks 3rd gen parts kit and i have a slight problem... my car is in the garage for the winter and i can only open the pass side door 19 inches out from the fender (i tried measuring it from the fender where it meets the door to the inner door panel and came up with ~ 19 inches)

the pass seat is right about the same 19 inches and i don't know if it will fit through the open door. is there any way i can separate the seats while they are still in the car and pull them out in 2 pieces? i know they have to be separated in order to change the cover.

any help would be appreciated... i guess if nothing else i could drive the car out of the garage and then take the seats out (i think the drivers side has a bit more room) but then how do i drive it back into the garage with no seats??? i had a crazy idea of using one of the backseat cushions to sit on to drive it back into the garage but i dont know if that would work or not (i mean put the cushion on the floor where the front seat should be, not drive from the backseat ala police acadamy)
Old 12-29-2008 | 11:51 AM
Launching!

LOL.... it wouldn't be worth it to try and take it apart in the car because there are some bolts you wouldn't be able to get to.

Just back the car out take out the seats and push it back in. If you have a steep incline and must drive it back in, just loosen the four frame bolts on the feet on the drivers side, drive it in and take off your t-top, roll down the window and pull the seat out thru the top....

seriously though think about this ,you will figure something out.
Old 12-29-2008 | 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I've been wondering how to take them apart for other reasons. I have a hole in my lower portion and my other Camaro seat has a good lower half but worn bolster. I kinda wanted to swap out the upper and lower portions to make a good pair.
Old 12-29-2008 | 01:00 PM
Launching!

Could you take them out inside the car and get them send them through the hatch? If not it really isnt that difficult to drive the car without the seats. My brother and I did it with my old third gen. Just go slow and its surprisingly easy....and funny looking.
Old 12-29-2008 | 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zdc590
Could you take them out inside the car and get them send them through the hatch? If not it really isnt that difficult to drive the car without the seats. My brother and I did it with my old third gen. Just go slow and its surprisingly easy....and funny looking.
i doubt it... my hatch shocks do not like the cold weather and sometimes will not stay up if its below 40 out...

how hard is it to disassemble a T/A seat anyway? do you have to remove the lower cover from the foam to get the foam off the seat? i thought about just disassembling the seat down to the cushions once i get them out of the car and replacing the back seat cushions myself but having the shop do the front cushions because i have to take the new covers and old covers to them anyway so they can remove the plastic accordian pieces from the old covers and sew them into the new ones. the back seat i think i can handle myself since i dont think there are any hogrings on it

and fwiw the car is backed in so there really wouldnt be a good place to push it back up into the garage... i might only have to move it halfway out of the garage since there is a porch right by the garage door which would possibly allow me enough room to open the door to remove the seat, and the drivers side would be free as well since the other half of the driveway would be on that side. i just don't know about moving the car without the seats in it but i guess if theres no steering involved and i'm only having to work the brakes and maybe the gas to back it into the garage it wouldn't be that bad. i also thought about removing the t-tops and lifting the seat out of the car with the door halfway open but i dont know how heavy those seats are

here is how its sitting right now (only covered). if it weren't for that shelf on the wall i could probably get the seat out, although i really havent tried anything yet since the new leather is 2-4 weeks away (or more since the order hasn't been processed yet)

i think theres a bit more room on the drivers side so maybe i could drive it out to remove the pass seat only and do the drivers seat in the garage but i'm not sure. And yes, there is a lot of junk in the garage

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 12-29-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-29-2008 | 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
I've been wondering how to take them apart for other reasons. I have a hole in my lower portion and my other Camaro seat has a good lower half but worn bolster. I kinda wanted to swap out the upper and lower portions to make a good pair.
there are two star (only way I can think to describe them) headed bolts that hold the upper to the lower about 6 inches up from the whole recline mechanism under neath the cover, or you can remove the whole recline assembly with the upper....

I just swapped leather power seats into a cloth non power car, and had to swap recline assemblies, so I got real familiar with seats.

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop

how hard is it to disassemble a T/A seat anyway?

i dont know how heavy those seats are
it's not hard, couple bolts/screws holding the switch cover on, couple more holding the recline assembly to the butt and back, and there are some under those plastic caps on the side where the ta seats have the plastic backing.
Last ones are the four holding the base to the seat, which you will have to move the seat track to get at or have some tools and time.

When you put them back together, dont snug anything down till all the bolts are in there holes so thread them all 1/2 way, the covers and backings and very finnicky, and there are tiny holes to find.

the seats aren't super heavy, but if you take off the t-top and roll down the window you should have lots of room to manuver the seat out.

Last edited by NebWS6; 12-29-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-29-2008 | 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NebWS6
there are two star (only way I can think to describe them) headed bolts that hold the upper to the lower about 6 inches up from the whole recline mechanism under neath the cover, or you can remove the whole recline assembly with the upper....

I just swapped leather power seats into a cloth non power car, and had to swap recline assemblies, so I got real familiar with seats.
Cool, so pretty easy to do? I havent looked at it, but I figured it couldnt be too bad.

Sorry 1995blacktattop, I didn't mean to threadjack.
Old 12-29-2008 | 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

it's not hard, couple bolts/screws holding the switch cover on, couple more holding the recline assembly to the butt and back, and there are some under those plastic caps on the side where the ta seats have the plastic backing.
Last ones are the four holding the base to the seat, which you will have to move the seat track to get at or have some tools and time.

When you put them back together, dont snug anything down till all the bolts are in there holes so thread them all 1/2 way, the covers and backings and very finnicky, and there are tiny holes to find.

the seats aren't super heavy, but if you take off the t-top and roll down the window you should have lots of room to manuver the seat out.
what do you mean move the seat track? are there bolts you can't get to or something? i'm assuming you aren't referring to the 4 bolts that hold the seat to the floor of the car since i'm assuming you remove those 4 first? speaking seat removal, what else is there to disconnect? i think i read somewhere that there is a plug for the power as well as some sort of air hose, where are those located?
Old 12-29-2008 | 10:12 PM
Launching!

what do you mean move the seat track? are there bolts you can't get to or something? i'm assuming you aren't referring to the 4 bolts that hold the seat to the floor of the car since i'm assuming you remove those 4 first? speaking seat removal, what else is there to disconnect? i think i read somewhere that there is a plug for the power as well as some sort of air hose, where are those located?
here is a pic for refrence...https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-lsx-p...cessories.html

the seat track moves which moves the seat foward and back, so if the seat is all the way back then the track is covering the bolts in the front underneath the seat and vice versa. It's just difficult not impossible to remove the seat track from the seat, if the bolts are covered because you can't put a socket directly on the bolt, you have to use a wrench which makes 1/4 turns and takes awhile.
The four holes you see in the top of the seat frame are where the bolts are and the tracks are right underneath that.......don't get your fingers in the way when you release the seat slider...it hurts :o

There are four bolts which hold the seat to the track in addition to the four nuts that hold the base to the floor. It would be in your best interest since you have a power driver seat to stop it somewhere in the middle when you unplug it, so you can access the bolts from both sides.The power plug is a clip connector right underneath the seat thru the carpet and is attached along with the air lines for the bolster to the air pack which is attached to the underside of the passenger seat.

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Cool, so pretty easy to do? I havent looked at it, but I figured it couldnt be too bad.

Sorry 1995blacktattop, I didn't mean to threadjack.
yeah it's easy just takes some time.

Last edited by NebWS6; 12-29-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-29-2008 | 10:33 PM
11 Second Club

In my opinion, i think you might make this more difficult than this needs to be.. I personally don't like being stuck working inside the car, there's not enough room, and it's easy to drop something and lose it. Your best bet is to probably just back it out, take out the seats and put down a box/crate to drive it back in. Whatever you do, good luck

I was thinking about the hatch idea too haha.
Old 12-29-2008 | 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

here is a pic for refrence...https://ls1tech.com/forums/non-lsx-p...cessories.html

the seat track moves which moves the seat foward and back, so if the seat is all the way back then the track is covering the bolts in the front underneath the seat and vice versa. It's just difficult not impossible to remove the seat track from the seat, if the bolts are covered because you can't put a socket directly on the bolt, you have to use a wrench which makes 1/4 turns and takes awhile.
The four holes you see in the top of the seat frame are where the bolts are and the tracks are right underneath that.......don't get your fingers in the way when you release the seat slider...it hurts :o

There are four bolts which hold the seat to the track in addition to the four nuts that hold the base to the floor. It would be in your best interest since you have a power driver seat to stop it somewhere in the middle when you unplug it, so you can access the bolts from both sides.The power plug is a clip connector right underneath the seat thru the carpet and is attached along with the air lines for the bolster to the air pack which is attached to the underside of the passenger seat.

yeah it's easy just takes some time.
i'm pretty sure i don't have that under my seats??? i only have power lumbar and bolster...the actual moving of the seat is manual on both sides so i'm guessing i would be able to move the seat back and forth outside the car if need be.

i wish i could find a step by step how to for disassembling the seats with pictures. i think the upholstry kit comes with instructions but i'm guessing they won't be very thorough.

how much would an upholstry shop charge if i took them the front seats with the new drivers seat back foam and paid them to change the leather? i was quoted $100-$150 for the sewing of the side pieces and am wondering if i might be better off just taking them the front seats with the new seat upholstry and having them do it. i would probably still do the back seat myself since it appears to be pretty easy.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 12-29-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-30-2008 | 08:30 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

I do not see anyone suggesting to lower the window and remove the T roof. Put a couple towels or blankets down on the door to protect and it should come out no problem. Just a thought.
Old 12-30-2008 | 09:09 AM
Launching!

i'm pretty sure i don't have that under my seats??? i only have power lumbar and bolster...the actual moving of the seat is manual on both sides so i'm guessing i would be able to move the seat back and forth outside the car if need be.

how much would an upholstry shop charge if i took them the front seats with the new drivers seat back foam and paid them to change the leather? i was quoted $100-$150 for the sewing of the side pieces and am wondering if i might be better off just taking them the front seats with the new seat upholstry and having them do it. i would probably still do the back seat myself since it appears to be pretty easy.
if you have both manual tracks then you should have it pretty easy, move the track all the way foward, take out the 2 bolts, then move it all the way back and take out the other 2. I have no idea how much an upholstry shop would charge....never had any work done.
If you have any ? shoot me a pm

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
I do not see anyone suggesting to lower the window and remove the T roof. Put a couple towels or blankets down on the door to protect and it should come out no problem. Just a thought.

Old 01-06-2009 | 08:26 PM
TECH Junkie

ok i got the seats out with the car in the garage by rolling down the windows and taking of the t-tops and then pulling them out twords the back of the car.

now does anyone know how to disassemble the front seats?
Old 01-07-2009 | 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Post 6 & 9 tell you how to separate the top from the bottom.
Old 01-07-2009 | 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

i'm kind of stuck now on a couple things and i havent removed the seat from the base yet cause i'm afraid to do so without removing the 2 things im stuck with (i did already take out 1 of the bolts that hold the seat to the frame though

i also can't get the little seat release thing off the back that moves the seat forward when you want to get into the back

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 01-07-2009 at 03:18 PM.