Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

An update on the Edelbrock coil covers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look kinda outta place to me. Makes it look like a Mustang motor like Brain mantioned. Hopefully they don't hold in enough heat to cause premature coil failures. I'd be a little wary of that since they are cast Aluminum & won't provide any real airflow over the packs. I wondered the same about the Jeg's covers too.

They don't look very big in that other pic from Edlebrock b/c they have a big single plane intake on there taking away from the focus on coil cover size.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Hopefully they don't hold in enough heat to cause premature coil failures. I'd be a little wary of that since they are cast Aluminum & won't provide any real airflow over the packs. I wondered the same about the Jeg's covers too.
Do you suppose GM did any testing to see if the factory plastic covers on the Corvette application would hold excessive heat into the coils?

I don't see this as much different than the OE covers on the Corvette, or any other manufacturer's ways of covering the engine to 'hide' crap.

Of course the plastic won't 'hold' the heat like the aluminum would tho, ...
Old 01-15-2009, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
Do you suppose GM did any testing to see if the factory plastic covers on the Corvette application would hold excessive heat into the coils?

I don't see this as much different than the OE covers on the Corvette,

Of course the plastic won't 'hold' the heat like the aluminum would tho, ...
Your entire post contradicts itself, LOL. No GM probably didn't b/c they just slapped a little flimsy plastic piece on there. They did not intend for them to be covered by a cast aluminum cover.

I'm no coil pack expert & I figure they designed them to withstand some heat of coarse, but the question is are they designed to withstand elevated temps higher than normal after the car is shut off & sitting there heat soaking more than normal due to large cast aluminum covers over the packs.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:42 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm really not too concerned about the heat issues. At max, the car gets driven for 17 miles to work and less than 1000 miles a year.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:47 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

As for the heat issues, look to the turbo guys. They have some elevated under hood temps and I haven't read or heard any issues. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I'm just not too concerned with it. The car isn't a daily driver, and if all of them die, the car will sit till I replace them.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
As for the heat issues, look to the turbo guys. They have some elevated under hood temps and I haven't read or heard any issues. I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I'm just not too concerned with it. The car isn't a daily driver, and if all of them die, the car will sit till I replace them.
Well then since it's not a daily drive it shouldn't matter. And for the turbo guys, yea they see higher under hood temps, but their stuff is also all open not covered with things similar to these covers, so it's not exactly a apples to apples comparison.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Abear said on their website that they did heat testing on the coils and that they can stand up to A LOT more heat than they will come into contact with.

I was under the impression that if things get that hot in there, the coil pacs are the least of your worries.

Originally Posted by hlaalu
who was that one guy on here who made a custom set? they look like those. btw, how do those bolt on? or what do they bolt on to? they add a nice touch to the engine, and looks good hiding all those ugly wires and crap
I am not sure if I am the guy you were refering to or not, but I made a similar set, I painted them gold, like the old school moroso valve covers. These look good, I think if this was around when I did mine I would have gotten these instead. My only problem is the logo, I would prefer not having one at all. Maybe that will become an option if you can't grind it off.

BTW I did run into the same issue with the fuel line. Same thing with the dip stick on the other side.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Your entire post contradicts itself, LOL.
I wasn't trying to argue with myself about it, ...,
I was simply stating the GM & a lot of manufacturers cover the engine area with miscellaneous covers. So I don't think heat should be an issue.

Although, ..., (& here's where the contradiction comes in?), since these are aluminum where-as the factory ones are generally plastic, these may retain more heat than the others?

Simply a statement/question.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

If any heat becomes an issue, it's going to melt the plug wire first before it would impact the coils. Plus, the max temp is ~220 degrees, hot yes, but not product failure heat.

As for grinding off the logo, I might, I haven't gotten that far in the thought process yet. If I do, I'll grind off the FAST logo on my intake as well. It's the reason I bought the as-cast versions, because I didn't want to be grind on a polished set or powder coated set.

I have no concerns about grinding them either. It's aluminum and should come off pretty easily.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:27 PM
11 Second Club

my underhood temps have increased tremendously with the Twins but i havent had any issues with coils failing.
Brien knows what hes doin....im sure if there was an issue with heat he would have thought of that before purchasing these.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks for the props Rick....

Here's some more pics for those inquiring about how they work and what they look like....
As you can see here, the surface is pretty rough, so grinding these down isn't a concern to me, it'll come off pretty quickly with a grinder. If you look at the setup, the coils are spaced out just like stock, which brings up another thought. What about all the people who place them right next to each other under the cowl? They never report any heat issues. Coils naturally get hot from charging and discharging.

LET THE HEAT CONCERN GO.

Onto the pics...

Here's the backside...
Old 01-15-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep us up to date. And the pics coming
Old 01-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Banned

To the top. Any update
Old 01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

I really like these. I believe if you put some kind of finish to them, instead of the cast look it will be fine. You just need something to compliment them. I wonder if these will fit truck coils with the 6liters?? Anyone? Looking forward to seeing this project.......
Old 01-19-2009, 06:16 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Sorry guys, nothing new... My 2y/o son was rushed to the hospital Saturday morning with respiratory distress / pneumonia and I'm home now taking a quick break before going back. I haven't slept since Friday, so who knows when I'll get back to this project.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

hope all goes well with the little one Brien.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:33 PM
10 Second Club

hope all gos well also... btw covers are verry nice!
Old 01-21-2009, 07:20 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Thanks for the well wishes guys. We came home with Gav last night, man it's nice to be home. He's on breathing treatments every 4 hours, and now my 5 month old daughter is getting the same cough.

It may be a while before I get any time on this, but I will keep everyone up to speed.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM
Banned

well kids before cars.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:56 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well, I got a couple hours today to tinker, but it was too cold outside to fool with pulling the car down off the lift, especially since it's going to snow this week and be in the single digits overnight....

So I worked on removing the logo from both sides. A grinder, then some 100 grit is as far as I've gotten. I'm not sure I'm going to go too crazy since I'm going to paint these, and a few coats of paint and a little bit of sanding in between coats will get rid of the as-cast look.

Here's the first pass on the driver's side with a grinder.

Here's the passenger side after the grinder and 100 grit on a palm sander.

And another angle of the passenger side...

Unfortunately, I'm not too motivated when it's freezing outside and I've got to juggle cars around to get to the t/a. I'm putting together a shopping list to pick up NASTY fuel rails which are polished billet. I'm going to go all black for the AN fittings and it should look good.

Quick Reply: An update on the Edelbrock coil covers.