Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing driver SS seat to add padding.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009 | 03:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Removing driver SS seat to add padding.

I would like to take out my SS seat with power buttons and pull off the upholstery. I don't want to ruin it but I just want to add more padding inside the seats. How should I go about taking off the fabric on the seats? I searched the forum but found nothing.
Old 03-29-2009 | 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

just drop it of at the upholstrey shop
Old 03-29-2009 | 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

^^I agree.
Old 03-29-2009 | 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd rather do it myself if I can, why should I take it to a shop? Is it that hard to do it all?
Old 03-31-2009 | 02:02 AM
TECH Regular

I redid mine. It's easy to disassemble the seat, the covers are held on to the foam by velcro. Don't be scared, I didn't hurt anything on mine and my *** feels less sore with more padding under it!
Old 03-31-2009 | 04:07 PM
Launching!

SS502...what did you use to do it? memory foam or regular auto foam? i looked at a few options a while back at a craft shop. They had all sorts of foam, but nothing like OE density
Old 03-31-2009 | 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1-mex
just drop it of at the upholstrey shop
x2.....
Old 04-01-2009 | 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oberth1
SS502...what did you use to do it? memory foam or regular auto foam? i looked at a few options a while back at a craft shop. They had all sorts of foam, but nothing like OE density
I had the same issue...i'm not sure what type to get.
Old 04-01-2009 | 08:39 PM
On The Tree

I added some new foam to the back of my driver's seat, and replaced the cover. The back of the seat is super easy to strip down, just yank off the tab on the back and pop the big clip securing the bottom of the cover and it just pulls off with a little effort.

Here are some pics.

I scored some nice memory foam to try to add a little extra padding and lumbar support.

So, I started by closing up the hole in the right bolster with some spray adhesive. Here you can see the extra foam I added in the lumbar area.

I also wrapped the metal frame for the bolsters with some foam to help prevent it from punching through the leather if my glue fails. I figure this might also built up the bolsters a little, which I kinda think these seats need.

Foam back on the frame.

New cover installed

The covers match better in person, especially after I cleaned the lower part. The cover wasn't relaxed so it looks a little wrinkled. I thought about pulling the lower cover off and adding some extra foam where you can tell its broke down, was just too lazy. This isn't a permanent fix, I just needed something to get me by before I re do the whole interior. The lower part is a little more involved to strip down than the back, you just have to unbolt quite a bit of stuff. It isn't rocket science, and I wouldn't expect spectacular results adding extra foam to the factory setup, but my seat is quite a bit more comfortable. I wish I had done the bottom of the seat because it is pretty broken down.
Old 04-06-2009 | 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude thank you, as soon as the weather clears up I will get started on it! I like the extra foam added to the sides of the bolsters. As a matter of fact my support poles are starting to poke me there so I may do that as well.
Old 04-28-2009 | 12:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just completed adding padding, I took a slightly different approach. I added flame retardant craft foam over the existing pad since the memory foam was a bit pricey. I had to glue my seat foam back together since it was torn all down the right hand side. I used gorilla glue which held extremely well...but I should have used far less because it made the foam very hard after I applied it. I put foam on the back as well as the side bolsters so now my seats are filled out much more than before. Now i'm actually gonna enjoy my long trips to see the lady. Thanks again for the tips on a very easy and enjoyable fix!
Old 07-06-2009 | 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's now July and unfortunately it looks as if my Gorilla glue or foam has ripped, so I guess i'll pull her apart and try again.

Quick Reply: Removing driver SS seat to add padding.