Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

hid's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
ok or you can keep talking about information some one else posted for you, about a headlight you have never seen in person. if you wanted to be an technical about everything on the road why dont you just go into the general performance section and tell people not to remove their catalytic converters because they will hurt other peoples ears. if your going to bitch and moan about a product you have never seen in a camaro in person, then how can you give out information about it

you started the argument telling him not to do it. im simply saying he should.

your conversion isnt even finished yet,
Been done for a week. Would have been far sooner If it was an issue and i had not second car. About 2 days of real work would do it.
mine cost me $50 and ten minutes and it produces a great pattern that isnt blinding to oncoming traffic
Keep telling yourself that. Better yet. PROVE it. park 25-30ft from a white wall and show us your low beam pattern. Until then I will always maintain HIDs in any halogen housing = BAD blinding pattern. BTW that is also the position of the NHSTA. It was the reason for the massive crackdown on those companies importing the HID kids until they got slick and just branded them "For Off Road Use Only". Which prevents the goverment from doing much of anything to them. Now they can only go after users.

see them all over town and they dont bother my eyes
I doubt you know what your seeing. There are HID Reflector designs out there and those are likely what you see.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Why can't you, or why shouldn't you, "jam" them into stock housings?

Just curious as I was thinking about this upgrade and have never heard this before. Thanks.
imagine everyone passing you at night having their high beams on, but they are twice as bright. thats what will happen if you put the in your lows. anyone who puts HIDs in stock housings is a cheap *******, and theres no getting around it.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by VIP1
WOW.... I hope you don't drive anywhere near me. I've seen a similar truck with HID in the stock Halogen Reflector housings and damn that sucked. Owe my eyes.
Lol actually I don't have the stock headlights on my truck they are some sylvania replacements that were made for hids but they still are not projector lenses. To each there own I guess.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
imagine everyone passing you at night having their high beams on, but they are twice as bright. thats what will happen if you put the in your lows. anyone who puts HIDs in stock housings is a cheap *******, and theres no getting around it.
That will be me until I find projectors I like.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marksboy7
Lol actually I don't have the stock headlights on my truck they are some sylvania replacements that were made for hids but they still are not projector lenses. To each there own I guess.
There are HID reflectors out there so if that is what you have replaced your stock housings with thats cool. light should be decently controlled.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova5
Been done for a week. Would have been far sooner If it was an issue and i had not second car. About 2 days of real work would do it.
Keep telling yourself that. Better yet. PROVE it. park 25-30ft from a white wall and show us your low beam pattern. Until then I will always maintain HIDs in any halogen housing = BAD blinding pattern. BTW that is also the position of the NHSTA. It was the reason for the massive crackdown on those companies importing the HID kids until they got slick and just branded them "For Off Road Use Only". Which prevents the goverment from doing much of anything to them. Now they can only go after users.
i will try to take some pictures like that for you shortly, they look like semi circles against the wall from that distance

none of the kits are branded off road use only because they still are deemed unfit for use. just an FYI as im sure you know your projector housings are still illegal

I doubt you know what your seeing. There are HID Reflector designs out there and those are likely what you see.
yes im sure all of these guys running lifted trucks go through the effort of making a hid conversion when they are buying their chrome altezza's off ebay

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
haha ok well everyone who buys silverstar ultra's is a dumbass because they blow out every 8 months and cost the same price as a h.i.d. kit. i drive through the sticks at night and still i have NEVER had anyone flash their high beams at me.

just an fyi there is still a huge difference between the low beams and high beams. low beams are merely semi circles for the bottom half of the road and the high beams are still for the top half. no that doesnt mean that my HID kit isnt producing better light output, low beams are still 2x as bright as silverstars, the high beams just have a better pattern from the headlight housing to display the most light over the most possible area

even with my hid kit my high beams are still 2-3x brighter because they have a more disperse pattern.

i understand you guys are working for the greater good, but the camaro healdights still are the very best units for a plug and play h.i.d. kit. i gave the local hid distributor a ride in my car and he admitted that hes never seen such a good cutoff from stock healdights

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-23-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i will try to take some pictures like that for you shortly, they look like semi circles against the wall from that distance

none of the kits are branded off road use only because they still are deemed unfit for use. just an FYI as im sure you know your projector housings are still illegal
If they don't brand them as Off-Road use Only then the NHSTA may start chasing them again. ORO markings make pretty much any lighting you want to install acceptable as when your running around in the dirt or fields, maximum lighting without concern for highly controlled beam pattern is what those folks are really after. thats why the Off Road marks let them get away with importing into the USA. I could take a 300watt incandesent bulb. mount it into a bowl reflector and use that if i wanted to offroad. ORO=Unfit for road use. But when 4 wheeling or such There is no real worries about other drivers. encounters are minimal and many kill their mega light bars when facing other drivers.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

chrysler kid, I've seen and been blinded by enough HIDs in reflector housings of various types. I can literally stand in front of my car with projectors and not get blinded because the light is projected where it should be.

Case closed.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Addict

If they don't brand them as Off-Road use Only then the NHSTA may start chasing them again. ORO markings make pretty much any lighting you want to install acceptable as when your running around in the dirt or fields, maximum lighting without concern for highly controlled beam pattern is what those folks are really after. thats why the Off Road marks let them get away with importing into the USA. I could take a 300watt incandesent bulb. mount it into a bowl reflector and use that if i wanted to offroad. ORO=Unfit for road use. But when 4 wheeling or such There is no real worries about other drivers. encounters are minimal and many kill their mega light bars when facing other drivers.
go back through some of the old argument threads. there are letter from the NHTSA to a dealer who requested to use them as offroad use only, and his claim was declined because the design does not conform to oem specifications. the law was designed to protect people who buy used cars form getting faulty equipment, not to save people's eyes. the NHTSA hasnt put in any new legislation, the intention was to keep deisgns that do not conform to factory specifications out of cars that could be sold

off road use only is about as valid as the DOT symbol on the box that came with my kit. it may pertain to the ballast in some way, but not the bulb or for its intended use

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
chrysler kid, I've seen and been blinded by enough HIDs in reflector housings of various types. I can literally stand in front of my car with projectors and not get blinded because the light is projected where it should be.

Case closed.

i can stand infront of my car with the headlights on and stare in them aswell. get on your knees to pattern level and you will still get blinded by the high light output from your projectors.

the only argument you have to the projectors is light scatter and the camaro headlight doesnt produce hazardous levels of output. it still has a good cut off, so please inform me how a properly aligned headlight with a hid bulb with minimum scatter is any less blinding above the cutoff level than a projector? ITS NOT your still putting out high amounts of light below the cutoff level. with the scatter shield, and only a curved reflective backing (unlike the typical dome shape) the camaro headlights have an acceptable cutoff level

if you dont have the proper cutoff level in any projector housing your still going to blind people.

please tell me where in my picture you see evidence of high amounts of glare and in proper cutoff? my friend has a dakota with absolutely no cutoff in the patter, and if it wasnt for his headlights being completely glazed over and yellow it would be very blinding, but lumping a headlight with a good design into that category is like me saying that a gun can kill you so everyone should buy knife's.

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-23-2009 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

heres a picture showing a horrible projector setup on an sc300. there still seems to be no cutoff level to the output of light

Mazdaspeed 3 with HID kit in factory projectors. still more glare than my camaro

AND by far the WORST retro fit i have ever seen, these projectors have no blocking plate and scatter light everyhwere!

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-23-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

im not arguing that a hid bulb in a non projector housing isnt dangerous, im arguing that the camaro headlight is not dangerous

here is a picture that shows how stupid bright a hid bulb in a halogen housing can be, look at the glare on the ceiling!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

go back through some of the old argument threads. i can stand infront of my car with the headlights on and stare in them aswell. get on your knees to pattern level and you will still get blinded by the high light output from your projectors.

please tell me where in my picture you see evidence of high amounts of glare and in proper cutoff?
Why don't you get a picture of your car in pitch dark, front and side view and your HIDs ON w/ stock camaro headlights.

I tell you what, I'll do it for you.

Here is my car w/ HIDs and STOCK camaro headlight housing. The HID is 6000 K.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Scattered blinding light anyone?

Now here is my new HID projector headlights, the same 6000K but H1 style instead of stock size bulbs.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I see alot of useless rambling from C-Kid to try to hide the fact he can't produce the pictures requested.

BTW C-Kid ALL digi-cameras hate headon shots of light sources like headlights that are surrounded by darkness. the CCD and CMOS chips just can't handle it and makes everything look like it has serious glare. Which is why I want you to get output shots against a white wall. Once the lightsource is surrounded by some other light as well, the CCD isn't so overloaded and can handle the brighter source in a scene far better.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

I see alot of useless rambling from C-Kid to try to hide the fact he can't produce the pictures requested.

BTW C-Kid ALL digi-cameras hate headon shots of light sources like headlights that are surrounded by darkness. the CCD and CMOS chips just can't handle it and makes everything look like it has serious glare. Which is why I want you to get output shots against a white wall. Once the lightsource is surrounded by some other light as well, the CCD isn't so overloaded and can handle the brighter source in a scene far better.
i posted the pics, did you not see them?
Old 04-24-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bene
Why don't you get a picture of your car in pitch dark, front and side view and your HIDs ON w/ stock camaro headlights.

I tell you what, I'll do it for you.

Here is my car w/ HIDs and STOCK camaro headlight housing. The HID is 6000 K.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Scattered blinding light anyone?

Now here is my new HID projector headlights, the same 6000K but H1 style instead of stock size bulbs.

i think i see bigfoot in those pictures. the light poles are producing just about the same amount of glare in your background. the camera is so blurry its just taking everything in as glare. your standing above the cutoff line, how about you get a little lower and see if your camera stars blurring photos from glare.

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-24-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i posted the pics, did you not see them?
You haven't posted any pics that fit the request. I said against a white or similer wall at about 25-30ft. Not from in front of the car at 45 degrees off and standing up in the only non-glared spot you could find.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i see bigfoot in those pictures. the light poles are producing just about the same amount of glare in your background. the camera is so blurry its just taking everything in as glare. your standing above the cutoff line, how about you get a little lower and see if your camera stars blurring photos from glare.

You didn't see the point. I didn't have to go lower to take pictures of the car to see the glare of my HIDs w/ stock headlights and I took the pictures with the HID/Projectors lights with similar angle, standing up.

I didn't have to take the pictures a little lower because as you can see, the cut off line is already below the tail lights and the side view mirror not like the HID w/ stock headlights you would see hot spots EVERYWHERE behind my G35. Honestly, my camaro is parked upwards on the incline so cut off line is actually lower than that.

Also if I took them both kneeling down it would be pointless. It's like looking direct into the sun.

And how can you say the picture of the HID w/ stock headlights blurry? LoL. I can read the freaking letter in the pictures. The only thing blurry is the lights of the moving car and the glare of the street light which is BRIGHT to begin with.