Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HID Ballasts Location??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HID Ballasts Location??

Hey, just ordered some 6k HIDs, and just was wondering where the best place is to mount the ballast? I heard they get hot and all so I want to make sure they last a long time and dont create any fires.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I put my ballasts on the metal "ledge" behind the headlights high beams. No issues for 6 months now.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
I put my ballasts on the metal "ledge" behind the headlights high beams. No issues for 6 months now.
Thats the black stamped metale that holds the headlight assembly?
Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

No, more towards the center of the nose. It is body colored (at least on my car it is). I think it is part of the radiator support and the stuff that holds the washer fluid res. The metal headlight bracket has two nuts that holds it to the car and also the bumper support mounts there too, just in front of those bolts is a flat spot...

I can try and get a pic later.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

This is where I have my low beam ballast mounted on each side

And this how the fog light ballast
Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Sam, if you wanna come over one day/night, i'll show you were mine are mounted....and if your ballasts are getting "hotter than hell" stay away from those ballasts...Mine get up to 75 degrees or so...if that warm.

Sparky up there has the right idea. I'll also show you how i mounted mine to aviod extra holes and a cleaner look.

Mine we're $86 shipped and made in the USA, yours?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sommer86
Sam, if you wanna come over one day/night, i'll show you were mine are mounted....and if your ballasts are getting "hotter than hell" stay away from those ballasts...Mine get up to 75 degrees or so...if that warm.

Sparky up there has the right idea. I'll also show you how i mounted mine to aviod extra holes and a cleaner look.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I havnt physically bought them yet, I was just about to then remembered this so I wanted to ask before I bought. He wants $150 for them. How are your for $90? I was looking for a little more expensive one thinking it will be a little better.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I forget where mine were made. The manufacturer is Xentec.

The slim ballasts are the better choice - like what Detoxx has - they are digital, not old analog, and are smaller, more efficient, produce less waste heat, and generally are more reliable than the fat analog ballasts.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted mine on the bumper support, close to the intake to cool them some.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sommer86

they are illegal to manufacture in the USA. if you got them from ebay they say USA distributor, or ballast made in USA

i have mine mounted off of the radiator support. i bent the supplied bracket and hung them there
Old 04-28-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

HIDs illegal to manufacture in the USA? Since when?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Launching!

Thats wierd, I wonder why. 35 watt 55 watt bulb? Will my car be able to handle one of those?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Your stock bulbs are 55W so the wiring could handle it. However, 35W HIDs are much brighter than 55W halogens.

You need to match the ballast with the bulb though, don't believe you can get any ballast and hook up a 55W HID bulb and expect it to work.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:42 AM
Launching!

Ok, I was looking at a site and it had a 35w one and a 55w one so I was just curious. And I want to make sure I get the digital ballasts? Not analog.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

HIDs illegal to manufacture in the USA? Since when?
heres the original discussion, at the bottom it also says they are not allowed to use the term "off-road use only" and unless your running a D based bulb are illegal to manufacture

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/Shih.3.html
Finally, in a subsequent e-mail, you asked whether our regulations require HID lighting systems to include "auto-leveling" and washing systems, similar to those incorporated in vehicles sold in Europe. The answer is no. FMVSS No. 108 does specify aimability performance requirements under paragraph S7.8 of the standard, but that paragraph does not require an "auto-leveling" capability. The standard also does not contain any requirement for a headlamp washing system.

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html
Based on a review of the H1 light source specification filed in the Part 564 docket (#3397), it is apparent that the Thunder Beam HID Conversion kit is a significant redesign of the H1 light source. At the most basic level, an H1 light source incorporates an incandescent filament in which light is produced by a metallic wire coil heated to incandescence by an electrical current, whereas the HID conversion kit’s light source incorporates a discharge arc to produce the light and requires a ballast for operation. Thus, in order to comply with paragraph S7.7 of FMVSS No. 108, the Thunder Beam light source must comply with, inter alia, the dimensional specifications for the metallic wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location, and the ballast would need to be a design currently on file for use with an H1 light source. Complying with the dimensional aspects of the H1 light source appears to be an impossibility considering that the wire coil filament and the electrical connector are not a part of your design. Furthermore, there are no ballast designs on file for use with an H1 light source. Thus, your company’s HID conversion kit is not a design that conforms to the Standard and could not be certified as complying with FMVSS No. 108, nor imported into or sold in the United States.

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/kim.ztv.html

HID conversion kits are illegal if any item in the kit does not comply with Federal requirements for vehicle lighting equipment. Please read the letter carefully and apply our analysis to the components of the kits you are selling. If one or more of these components does not comply with FMVSS No. 108, then you should cease the sale and distribution of this equipment. Your failure to do so could make your company liable for civil penalties for violations of 49 U.S.C. 30112(a). If your company manufactured or imported noncompliant HID conversion kits for resale, your company is required to notify this agency, dealers, purchasers, and owners of the kits and to remedy the noncompliance in accordance with 49 U.S.C. 30118-30120 and 49 CFR Parts 573 and 577. I should advise you that we know of no HID conversion kit that can be certified by its manufacturer as complying with FMVSS No. 108.

NHTSA 43-04
Tuesday, October 19, 2004

NHTSA ILLEGAL LIGHTING CRACKDOWN CONTINUES

Continuing its crackdown against manufacturers and suppliers of illegal lighting equipment, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) today announced its decision that high intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits produced by a Texas company do not comply with federal safety standards.

The owner of ASTEX USA, a supplier of aftermarket HID kits, was ordered to conduct a recall campaign and provide a no-cost solution to the customer. The company is based in Dayton, TX. When installed in a motor vehicle, the HID kits “can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists and others,” NHTSA said in its decision.

To date, NHTSA has investigated 24 HID conversion kit suppliers; all investigations have resulted in recalls or termination of sales.

“These illegal lights are a potential hazard to those who share the road,” said NHTSA Administrator Jeffrey Runge, MD. “And we will continue to pursue those offering them for sale and violating the law.”

Companies that sell, import or manufacture non-compliant equipment could face substantial civil penalties, NHTSA said.

Update: May 3, 2007:
NHTSA Cracks Down on Aftermarket HID Conversion Kits

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is targeting high-intensity discharge (HID) conversion kits for enforcement actions. NHTSA has concluded that it is impossible to produce HID conversion kits (converting a halogen system to HID) that would be compliant with the federal lighting standard, Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 108. The noncompliant kits frequently include a HID bulb, a ballast, an igniter, a relay and wiring harness adapters. The NHTSA believes this equipment presents a safety risk to the public since the kits can be expected to produce excessive glare to oncoming motorists. In one investigation, the NHTSA found that an HID conversion headlamp exceeded the maximum allowable candlepower by over 800%.

Under FMVSS No. 108 Section S7.7 (replaceable light sources), each replaceable light source for headlamps must be designed to conform to the dimensions and electrical specifications for the headlamp source it is intended to replace. For example, if an HID kit is marketed as replacing an H1 light source, then it must match the H1's wire coil filament size and location, the electrical connector size and location and the ballast design for use with an H1 light source (which is impossible since there is no ballast). Consequently, companies that are manufacturing HID light sources (e.g., D1S, D1R, D2S, D2R, 9500, etc�) with incandescent light source bases (e.g., H1, H3, H7, H8, H9, H11, H13, HB1, HB2, HB3, HB4, HB5, etc�) should be aware that this light source design would not be one that conforms to FMVSS No. 108, and could not be imported and sold in the United States without violating Federal law. (The importer is treated as the manufacturer and subject to the same fines and penalties that apply to a domestic manufacturer.)

NHTSA has also determined that a commonly used disclaimer "for off-road use only" has no legal meaning and is not recognized by the agency as the manufacturer, importer and retailer are not in a position to control use once a product has been sold. Any equipment offered for sale which is covered by FMVSS No. 108 (headlamps, taillamps, side markers, etc.) must comply with the standard.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...t-fines-5.html

also i dont believe anyone on here is running the 55W kitt hid that DDM tuning is selling. They come with the 55w ballasts
Old 04-28-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

So to make it more clear, HID bulbs are NOT illegal to make in the USA, except for the rebased ones. That makes a little more sense... please don't confuse the issue with a sweeping generalization.

Thus your HIDs are illegal because they are rebased in halogen housings that produce excess glare.

Mine I suppose technically are as well, being H1 based, but being in a projector housing makes the light output proper and non-glaring.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

So to make it more clear, HID bulbs are NOT illegal to make in the USA, except for the rebased ones. That makes a little more sense... please don't confuse the issue with a sweeping generalization.

Thus your HIDs are illegal because they are rebased in halogen housings that produce excess glare.

Mine I suppose technically are as well, being H1 based, but being in a projector housing makes the light output proper and non-glaring.
yours are still just as illegal as mine my friend.
and unless he has a custom setup running a D based bulbs his lights probably were not manufactured in the USA, this whole thread is about hid kit so me saying hid kits are illlegal to manufacture in the usa con still be valid since the kit contains the ballast and the bulb, as where a D bulb would already have a factory ballast

and the glare output by the camaro headlights is still within acceptable levels for most drivers, however you can argue whichever way you want

do i really need to argue in every single thread about hid's. its getting redundant.

Last edited by chrysler kid; 04-28-2009 at 10:04 AM.

Quick Reply: HID Ballasts Location??