Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

94 Formula - H4 HID Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 94 Formula - H4 HID Swap

Well i got my HID Conversion finished up today and its fits about as good i can get it for now. Still a few small things but its in and looks SEXY 8) I used a 6,000k (clear) HID kit along with a pair of H4 Conversion 4x6 housings i got fromy my local aftermarket parts supplier. They went in with ease and it was only the housing that made my life a bitch. The housing didnt have anything for the HID bulb to fasten or lock into place. RETARDED but what can you do life goes on and i just siliconed them in place so they wont move around. All in all its a very easy conversion and sure beats those old nasty yellow tinted stock sealed beams.

Here's a Pic of the Kit:

Here's Pics: (My dads t/a for stock reference)

Here's Mine After:

Old 05-02-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love T/A's, but hate how they look with the lights flipped up, particularly LT1's.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

got any night shots?
Old 05-03-2009, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Night shots are coming dont worry... i was out last night and these things are a million times better then stock i can actually see at night. Funny thing was alot of people werent to happy with me following behind them as i havent adjusted them to proper height and they are pointing up and hitting the back windows and rearview mirrors. They are extremely bright so before i get myself in **** i gotta adjust them down a bit so there more on the road. Needless to say for what it cost and the modifying to get them it was well worth it. Pics to come...
Old 05-03-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Now for the pic's everyone is waiting for the "Night Photoshoot". Went to the local public school to snap some pics. My camera sucks at night so i dont need the comments LOL. Did the best with what i could so here goes...

Here's With My LED Reverse Bulbs...

Old 05-03-2009, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you mount the HID ballast boxes? How long did the install take? Can you PM me the info on where you got the kits. I have the housings already for my '95 TA. Thanks
Old 05-04-2009, 12:52 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Holy crap.... that beam pattern is HORRIBLE. Please stop using those. You basically have high beam all the time! You're blinding everyone! You shouldn't be lighting up the second story windows like that.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:59 AM
On The Tree

where did u get the leds from
Old 05-04-2009, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can find HID kits anywhere these days and if you have the housings already thats all you really need to get them plus a little tweaking and modifying. Took me about an hour to get everything in mounted up. I mounted the ballasts on the back of the headlight assembly or you can just zip tie them off to one of the harness's so its not hanging.

The beam pattern is fine its just i havent aimed them properly so instead of lighting up the 2nd story they should point more on the road. Not a big deal but yeah people get pissed when i have the lights aimed at there back window . But all in all from stock to hids its a huge improvement and not only looks better i can actually see at night.

The led reverse bulbs came from my local parts store they were 20 bucks and work really well since i have limo tint and cant see nothing backing up.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by 95mysticta
The beam pattern is fine its just i havent aimed them properly so instead of lighting up the 2nd story they should point more on the road.
No, seriously that beam pattern is bad. You'd have to aim those steeply down to not blind people too badly. So steeply that you'd have a big pool of light right in front of the car and not much distance which negates the reason for getting HID in the first place. This is one of the worst I've ever seen (1998-2002 Camaros are better than this... heck the look great compared to this and I think they're bad too).
Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Guess ill not bother posting on this site again when someone ***** all on your thread. I could not honestly not give two ***** how bad the pattern is as long the point of doing this is having lights that work 100x better and look 1000x better then stock. Ill go put them back to stock just for you.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

That's not the point. You can have great lighting and not blind everyone out there.

I'm not posting just to be an ***. I'm sorry if you think I'm an *** (I guess I can come across as such). I'm trying to help.

You're current setup has the beam pattern of a super bright high beam all the time which is bad for the safety of others on the road. Someone coming in the opposite direction will be temporarily blinded from those headlights and you will flood the interior of the car in front of you.

Depending on where you get an inspection, you wont pass for two reasons: bad beam pattern and lack of an actual high beam. You might even get a warning or ticket if the police in the police in the area are sticklers.

You may say "I don't care", but think about the person coming in the other direction who can no longer see where they are going and may lose control of their vehicle.

If you want to keep those housings and make an attempt at a somewhat passable beam pattern, you can try Casper shields. Either buy them or make them.

The ones in that picture are intended for D2S/D2R bulbs and won't work with your kit, but that's what they look like.

Alternatively, you can paint a stripe on the bulb capsule like on a D2R:

You still won't have high beam, but the beam pattern will be more controlled.

I'm not sure how much any of that will help though. I think its just poor housing design. You could also try another housing.

Sorry for being rude earlier.... that beam pattern just brought back memories of being unlucky enough to be on the receiving end of all that light before. Sometimes my answers are a bit curt. Hopefully this post was more informative.

Last edited by VIP1; 05-04-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats post i want to hear... not that your lights look horrible Were all on here to help each other not to hate on each others new mods.

Wouldn't painting the bulb cause it not to work like any standard bulb... once grease from your hands gets on it will burn out? I like the shield idea ill look into it.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Thats post i want to hear... not that your lights look horrible Were all on here to help each other not to hate on each others new mods.
Sorry, it was a knee-jerk reaction.

Wouldn't painting the bulb cause it not to work like any standard bulb... once grease from your hands gets on it will burn out?
Yes and no. There is a way to do it, but it involves high heat paint. I'm not exactly sure how to do it. You might want to research it further. I remember seeing a post on it on HID Planet's Forums. If I can find it, I'll post it.

I think the real problem is those housings though. They are producing a narrow conical beam which is good for a long distance high beam but bad for a low beam where you want more light in front and to the sides. See the triangular shadows in the beam to the sides? That shouldn't be dark.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here is a thread on painting and making glare shields:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43832

This thread has a pic of a kit with a built-in shield:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=43820

Here is a pic using a better H4 housing.
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17001
(scroll to end)

More discussion:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40052

More on Casper shields for D2S/D2R bulbs
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27444
(Unfortunately that shield won't work for you, but the pics should give you and idea of what they look like on the bulb.)

If you do some searching, you can find how to make your own shields.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would def look into correcting the beam pattern a bit as these do seem a bit out there. You may even be able to getaway with installing a different H4 housing and keep your original HID kit. I would prob. recommend the casper shields as well.

Here is a link to an old HID kit I had which worked reasonably well and had a somewhat decent controlled output. The output pics are on the 1st page if you scroll down a bit. No projector but I was by no means blinding anyone.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...cs-no-56k.html
Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well i corrected them today so instead of aiming at the rearwindow or roof of the car infront of me its right on the rear bumper. Definetly helped out alot for sure i just dont how far the beam pattern should go out in front of the car. I think i may have went to far down... i havent really paid attention to my friends cars that have them. I just know they definetly hit the ground and not the second story of a building like in the previous pics. Im looking into the shields for mine and possibly different housings. I hate the projectors its look to bug eyed for me and the ones in the pics from the link are nice. Mine are reflective which has alot to do with why my lights are so damn bright.

Quick Reply: 94 Formula - H4 HID Swap