Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Windshield Tint

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i am thinking about just getting a strip now since i can't decide.lol.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 5% all around and 20% on the windshield,

took these in the garage right now. sorry there are so many I just wanted to give a good idea of the differences with windows up or down and inside the car as well.

windows down

windows up

I would never just tint a strip... it keeps the car SO much cooler in the summer with the whole thing done. Plus it's funny when you pull up somewhere and just sit in the car and NO one can see in, even with the sun shining on it in the middle of the day. haha.

Last edited by Oso SS; 07-09-2009 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

osso. that is very dark. i'd love to get that but around here cops won't go for that.hehe. I am definately leaning towards the 35%
Old 07-09-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drove by 2 cops this morning, a few last night... they don't give a **** here. It's Arizona and I think they all understand because of the heat.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

thats not the case here. these cops have nothing to do i guess. i just don't see why they bother people with tint when they can be sitting downtown catching drug sales in plain view. makes no sense to me. the 20% is to dark for me cause i do drive sometimes at night but not much so i would like to see.hehe
Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm bumpng this thread because I'm throwing around the idea of tinting my windshield also. I have 35% on the sides and rear and I like it a lot. It's light but I had 20% on my last car and it attracted some attention. 35% seems to be a happy medium and with the windshield done 35% I think it'll make it slightly darker.

I also wanted to add; you can't really judge the tint from pictures. I've worked on several cars that had the windshield tinted, I'm going to guess they were between 35-50%, and I didn't even know they were until I got out of the car. I will admit though, 20% on the windshield seems a little too dark haha.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^you had 20% on the sides with nothing done to the windshield, and you got attention. so you downgrade
to 35% and still nothing on the windshield, and get no attention. if you add to what you have that will make
every other window darker, mot just the windshield. so if you are worried about getting attention from police, i
wouldnt recommend it. a light tint on every window can equal a darker tint on some windows... 50%
might be a better option.

i have 15% on the sides, 5% on the hatch, and t-tops painted and i get no light inside as it is, except when the
suns hitting the car head on. ii may do a simple 50% on the windshield just to prevent the light from coming in
a little more. personally, i'm not really worried about getting a ticket, mainly because i have my windows
down ALL the time.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 01-11-2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't do it, like others said its asking for trouble, there is almost all downfalls to it except looking cool and lights at night are dimmer. I know a guy local who has a bright blue 03 cobra he has 5% all around and 20% on the windshield, he doesnt drive in rain or at night period it's like friggen spraypaint. Getting sides and rear done is one thing because you still have light coming in from the front, but with the entire car tinted it darkens everything MUCH more.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

^exactly. thats not something you shouldnt do unless, like you said, 1) you dont drive at night, 2) dont drive in rain, 3)dont drive daily drive the car, cause that would definitely rack up some tickets, or 4) if you live in some rediculously hot state like AZ where they let you slide with the dark tints everywhere.

Last edited by crimson_bird; 01-13-2010 at 03:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

+1 on getting it done. My Tahoe has 20% on the windshield and 5% on the sides and back , its pretty bad ***. I do have a little trouble backing up at night without rolling my windows down. You'll probably want to invest in some HID's it'll help and look cool as hell and there's nothing like driving a bad *** car when no one can see you but then again if you're worried about cops stay away from it. Cops don't mess with Firefighters where I'm from.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
^you had 20% on the sides with nothing done to the windshield, and you got attention. so you downgrade
to 35% and still nothing on the windshield, and get no attention. if you add to what you have that will make
every other window darker, mot just the windshield. so if you are worried about getting attention from police, i
wouldnt recommend it. a light tint on every window can equal a darker tint on some windows... 50%
might be a better option.

i have 15% on the sides, 5% on the hatch, and t-tops painted and i get no light inside as it is, except when the
suns hitting the car head on. ii may do a simple 50% on the windshield just to prevent the light from coming in
a little more. personally, i'm not really worried about getting a ticket, mainly because i have my windows
down ALL the time.
Why do people think that going to a lighter tint is "downgrading"? I actually asked for 20%, but it's clearly lighter than that. I know the tinted windshield will make the rest of the windows look darker, I stated that in my post. I also don't drive this car nearly as much as my last one with 20%.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

dude I just got 5% on the sides and back 2 days ago. Just very minimal stock tint on the windshield. Lemme tell ya....i have to roll down the windows when im drivin at night to take corners. I am now glad the guy wouldnt do my windshield 5% lol. I would have been so fucked. cant see ****
Old 01-12-2010, 11:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Grifter
Why do people think that going to a lighter tint is "downgrading"? I actually asked for
20%, but it's clearly lighter than that. I know the tinted windshield will make the rest of the windows look darker,
I stated that in my post. I also don't drive this car nearly as much as my last one with 20%.
sorry for my wording, i didnt mean that in a way saying that it is worse. i meant that as in you are going down
to a lighter shade. thats all. i actually did the same exact thing on my camaro which was my DD for the past
3 1/2 years. it had 5% on the back, t-tops painted, and 15 on the sides, and it got A LOT of attention, probably
about 7 warnings before finally getting a 250 dollar fix-it ticket. i chose to fix it ($0) and then re-tinted it, but
i went with 35% instead so i wouldnt get as much from the police.

im really not sure of the point of what you are saying... you bumped this thread for people to tell you what they
think about you doing your windows. i said no because it will put you back into the situation where you were
getting attention.

oh, and even though i didnt originally mean that the lighter tint is a downgrade, i do actually feel that
way (appearance wise). i like the way the tint looks on my T/A much more than the camaro. although the camaro
doesnt look bad at all, just not as good. just like i love the way the red camaro posted ^way up there looks,
but i would NEVER do that to a car i drive more than twice a week during broad daylight...

Last edited by crimson_bird; 01-12-2010 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

my old truck was 5% all the way around winshield and all it was like driving at night all day,never drove it at night cause tailights werent legal well for that matter the whole truck wasnt
Old 01-13-2010, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really like the look of the tinted windshield, but I might not like the view. HOW IN THE HELL DO THEY TINT THE WINDSHIELD WITH THE DASH SO DAMN BIG?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

you guys are crazy to tint the front windshield. just lower the windshield banner more. I have 5% ttops/rear/windshield banner, aand 15% on the sides.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Grifter
I'm bumpng this thread because I'm throwing around the idea of tinting my windshield also. I have 35% on the sides and rear and I like it a lot. It's light but I had 20% on my last car and it attracted some attention. 35% seems to be a happy medium and with the windshield done 35% I think it'll make it slightly darker.

I also wanted to add; you can't really judge the tint from pictures. I've worked on several cars that had the windshield tinted, I'm going to guess they were between 35-50%, and I didn't even know they were until I got out of the car. I will admit though, 20% on the windshield seems a little too dark haha.
check out posts 17 and 19 to see 97ramsst's car. he said he has 35 all the way around, so that'll give you an idea. the windshield adds a lot to the overall darkness.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

sorry for my wording, i didnt mean that in a way saying that it is worse. i meant that as in you are going down
to a lighter shade. thats all. i actually did the same exact thing on my camaro which was my DD for the past
3 1/2 years. it had 5% on the back, t-tops painted, and 15 on the sides, and it got A LOT of attention, probably
about 7 warnings before finally getting a 250 dollar fix-it ticket. i chose to fix it ($0) and then re-tinted it, but
i went with 35% instead so i wouldnt get as much from the police.

im really not sure of the point of what you are saying... you bumped this thread for people to tell you what they
think about you doing your windows. i said no because it will put you back into the situation where you were
getting attention.

oh, and even though i didnt originally mean that the lighter tint is a downgrade, i do actually feel that
way (appearance wise). i like the way the tint looks on my T/A much more than the camaro. although the camaro
doesnt look bad at all, just not as good. just like i love the way the red camaro posted ^way up there looks,
but i would NEVER do that to a car i drive more than twice a week during broad daylight...
No worries, I hope I didn't come off as being pissed. I bumped this thread just to get some more input.

I have a couple friends that after seeing my car with the 35 they want to go lighter. I like the dark tint, but I think going lighter still gives it a clean look.

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
you guys are crazy to tint the front windshield. just lower the windshield banner more. I have 5% ttops/rear/windshield banner, aand 15% on the sides.
In my opinion banners are the ugliest things ever. It's almost as ugly as mirror tint...

check out posts 17 and 19 to see 97ramsst's car. he said he has 35 all the way around, so that'll give you an idea. the windshield adds a lot to the overall darkness.
Thanks. ramsst's looks perfect, that's why I'm leaning towards 35%.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZexGX
If you're only worried about heat (probably not) then 3M makes a film called Crystalline. It's a light or even clear tint that is designed to block heat and UV rays. I want to get my windshield done with that stuff since I live out in the desert, and cops can't tell it's there.
That sounds like a good product
Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
You know that there are marks on both sides of the windshield glass (they look like a "T") that are there to mark the lowest LEGAL line of a strip or banner. It would get a ticket just as easy as a tinted windshield. Now if you had a 50% or 35% tinted windshield with a 5% strip, it would throw off a cop and you could just play off the windshield..."Is it TINTED?? Heck NO, Officer! Isnt that illegal!! Only thing I did was add that 20% strip up there." Oh, and always roll your windows down if its not raining as soon as you get pulled over, it'll show officers that you have nothing to hide with your side tint and most will let it slide.
Swat

Quick Reply: Windshield Tint