Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dash LEDs super easy, plug play

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dash LEDs super easy, plug play

I've been looking for LEDs for the dash since I swapped the overlay. I found this site that has a plug in LED. Super simple! You need 5 of them.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ct=CAR#WLED-x5

p# WLED-xHP High Power LED bulb

I love it, BUT the after market overlay doesn't look good. Yes its bright but it looks blury. I don't dive it at night, yet but its a COMPLETELY different story with my OE cluster! Super nice!

This sucks, I have a day time cluster I like and now a night time. Here's a pic of the OE cluster.

I did buy separate LEDs and soldered them into the HVAC plugs. That part isn't that easy.
Attached Thumbnails Dash LEDs super easy, plug play-dsc01370.jpg   Dash LEDs super easy, plug play-dsc01379.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your should try p/n WLED-xHP6 they work alot better with the gauges. they look like this.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

THAT's cool!!!

I see you also have the same type of overlay I got. Do these get rid of the blury look??

Also how do those fit? Do I have to solder them in?? Square peg round hole comes to mind....LEt me know, I'll then put these lights I just got in my LT1 cluster and use the ones you say in the LS1...
Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by firehawk#682
your should try p/n WLED-xHP6 they work alot better with the gauges. they look like this.
Unfortunately they also cost a whole lot more.

Do the other ones look blurry on stock overlays or only on aftermarket or what?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RyanSws6
THAT's cool!!!

I see you also have the same type of overlay I got. Do these get rid of the blury look??

Also how do those fit? Do I have to solder them in?? Square peg round hole comes to mind....LEt me know, I'll then put these lights I just got in my LT1 cluster and use the ones you say in the LS1...
There plug and play just like the other ones no soldering and you can still use the dim function.

Here is what mine look at night its a crappy camera but you get the idea
Old 07-23-2009, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Ohh yeah now I see. I just thought they were larger. So do yours look blury?

I went with white not red. Most new cars are white and I love how the vette cluster is.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

no there not blurry at all. I went with red bc i like read in the car and its not hard on the eyes. How ever i did an led swap on my truck and i put white in there and i like it too.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:04 AM
12 Second Club

I wonder why mine looks blury, I don't know if its the white making it that way.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

nice lights im thinking about getting some blue ones
Old 07-26-2009, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wait, can we get something straight here for people that don't know (myself included).
So this WLED-xHP bulb (1 of them) is plug and play and changes the color of the entire cluster minus the odometer?

I ask because I really like the white clusters on the new Mercedes. I was wondering what it would take to change the cluster/odometer/hvac to white.

Last edited by Shockwave179; 07-26-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for sharing..Sub<<<<<
Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ryan......Did you say you bought White LED's and are using those currently? I notice how differently your gauge color in the cluster look compared to the odometer as opposed to Firehawk...Trevor's looks. He has a uniform red across the whole cluster area.

From what I understood from Mark that the McNord gauges had no color on the overlay so I'm curious as to if you used white LED's why it's showing up as pink/red?
Old 07-26-2009, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

First, the low light setting on the camara gives it that pinkish color in the pics. ITS RED...

Also, the pic in my sig is my custom overlay and the pic I showed is my stock cluster with LEDs in red.

As I said in my first post. The stock cluster looks so clear at night, my overlay in white (in sig) has like a blury look to the #s.

I'm going to buy another set, I can put these in LT1 stock cluster and go with the ones with 6 LEDs. I hope to get that clear white look as in the new cars. I want the vette look to my cluster this is why I modded a C5 bezel on to my TA bezel.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

First, the low light setting on the camara gives it that pinkish color in the pics. ITS RED...

Also, the pic in my sig is my custom overlay and the pic I showed is my stock cluster with LEDs in red.

As I said in my first post. The stock cluster looks so clear at night, my overlay in white (in sig) has like a blury look to the #s.

I'm going to buy another set, I can put these in LT1 stock cluster and go with the ones with 6 LEDs. I hope to get that clear white look as in the new cars. I want the vette look to my cluster this is why I modded a C5 bezel on to my TA bezel.
Ok so it's the white balance setting on your camera throwing the hue off in the cluster. I thought you were showing how your new cluster looks at night. Can you post a pic of your new overlay at night please then so we can see the blurriness. Did you ask Mark about the problem you're having? Mine look blurry but I have the McEwen's and never lined up right. Since the McNord's are a direct replacement I know that wouldn't be an issue. I have ordered a set from him so I'll be anxious to see if I might have the same problems
Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shockwave179
Wait, can we get something straight here for people that don't know (myself included).
So this WLED-xHP bulb (1 of them) is plug and play and changes the color of the entire cluster minus the odometer?

I ask because I really like the white clusters on the new Mercedes. I was wondering what it would take to change the cluster/odometer/hvac to white.
There are 8 total lights (that are plug and play the rest you have to solder) you can replace with LEDS in the cluster. 5 of the 8 are your back lighting for the gauges which is what every body changes when the get mcnords so you don't have the stock incandescent yellowish looking bulbs. I used these LEDs (WLED-xHP6) because of the 360 light they give off not hot spots.
Then 2 of the remaining 8 are your turning signal indicators to tell you which way your blinker is on. So you can put any color led you want them to be. I put mine red or amber i think. The last bulb of the 8 is your headlight bright indicator which i changed to blue of course bc thats what its suppose to be. For the turning signal and high beam indicators i used these leds (WLED-xHP).

Now i just changed the 5 black lighting ones at first to (WLED-xHP6) and i could still operate my dimming switch. When i changed the last 3 (turing signal and high beam indicatiors) to these leds (WLED-xHP) i lost my dimming switch. Its not really a big deal tho there are the right brightness for me.

On last thing the leds are from superbright thats where the part #'s are from im using. the x in the number changes to what color you get so for intense if you got cool white the P/N would be WLED-CW HP6, if you got red like me it would be WLED-RHP6 and so one with the different colors. Now i hope i didn't confuse anyone.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:38 PM
12 Second Club

I hear what you mean. I'll post a pic of the cluster in my sig.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks Good Man! Dam thats a lot of miles...
Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 AM
12 Second Club

Yep at 185k when I bought it, I made a few passes after I bought it, put in LTs, catback & tune. Ran 12.98 @ 107. Not too bad and never smoked. NOW you know why I went 408 and T56. I changed EVERYTHING under the car. So its close to new.

Just changing the 5 guage lights to LED.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just ordered 5 WLED-xHP6 in cool blue. Gonna keep the stock bulbs for the turn signals and high beams. goodbye old burnt out yellow lights!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Yep at 185k when I bought it, I made a few passes after I bought it, put in LTs, catback & tune. Ran 12.98 @ 107. Not too bad and never smoked. NOW you know why I went 408 and T56. I changed EVERYTHING under the car. So its close to new.

Just changing the 5 guage lights to LED.
Dam Man, That was still some pretty good passes for the miles. I bet the 408 is a blast! Have any track pass videos with the 408?

Quick Reply: Dash LEDs super easy, plug play