Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

What's your Zaino "Method"?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's your Zaino "Method"?

I want to give Zaino a try so I purchased Z5, Z2 and instead of Z6 I opted to spring for Z8 Grand Finale.

To be honest I have used some very good waxes (Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax) and some very impressive Sealent/Polishes (Klasse High Gloss Sealent Glaze) and the only reason I never tried Zaino to date is the inconsistencies I see people using in the application process.

My car has been re-painted, wet sanded and buffed and already has a very good shine, just wanna see how far I can go!

Should I do:
Z5,Z2,Z8
or
Z5,Z2,Z5,Z2,Z8,Z2,Z8
or
??????????????????????

Old 07-29-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

After I do a good buff job when im just starting out I start with AIO. Then CS or Z8 or both but you if you do both they told me to wait a day to let either the CS or Z8 cure whichever you started with. Then after ever couple washes or b4 a long road trip Z2 just for up keep. So.....

AIO, CS, next day Z8, then up keep with Z2 or,
AIO, Z8, next day CS, then up keep with Z2.

Z16 on tires, plastic trim and t-tops whenever it looks like it needs it.

Unfortunately I havnt used Z5, or Z6 yet

Last edited by coxta; 07-29-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have gotten Z6, that is the gloss enhancer during the polish process. The Z8 is more of a quick detailer say after you wipe off some dust you can spray it down real quick.

The Z6 you actually spray into your applicator as you are applying Z5,Z2 to keep it moist.

Personally here is what I would do.

Z5 w/Z6
Z2 w/Z6
Z5 w/Z6
Z2 -ZFX w/Z6 - Apply in same day
Z2 -ZFX W/Z6 - Apply in same day
Z8

now with what you have

I would do

Z5
Z2
Z5
Z2 - wait 24hrs - if you don't have ZFX
Z2 - wait 24hrs - if you don't have ZFX
Z8
Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did what SOMSS1LE suggested except with Z16 as a top coat since I don't have Z8.

It's also nice to use Z16 between coats. Not sure about doing the same with Z8 though.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

It can be as simple or complicated as you choose to make it. Most make it more complicated than it is.

After the car is washed, clayed, and polished (for swirls) - I apply two coats of Z5 Pro for dark colors or two coats of Z2 Pro for light colors. I give it a final wipe down with Z8.

I wash as needed and finish with Z8. Looks great and stays protected for months.

It's as simple as that for me.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

I use the ZFX activator, so I can put more than one coat on per day. This is what I do, straight from their website.
Layer Z-5™ PRO Show Car Polish as necessary to hide minor swirl marks, defects or spider webbing.

• For maximum gloss, follow Z-5™ PRO Show Car Polish with one or more coats of Z-2™ PRO Show Car Polish. Z-2 will provide an even higher gloss finish than Z-5. Always use Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray or Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal between each and every coat of Z-5 and Z-2.

• Maintain with Z-7™ Show Car Wash and Z-6™ Quick Detailer or Z-8 Grand Finale Spray Seal as necessary.
I use Z6 rather than Z8 because it's cheaper, and I normally wipe the car down with detail spray before applying the first layer.

So I guess you would do Z5, wipe with Z8, Z2, Z8,.... keep layering with Z2 or Z5 not putting more than one layer per day w/o the ZFX activator, no more than 3 per day w/ the activator, and always make sure your final layer is Z2. The more layers you have on the car, the deeper the shine.

I really don't know how important it is to wait a day before applying a new coat w/ or w/o the ZFX. I think it is all a little silly, but I follow their guidelines and use ZFX. All I know is the results are always stunning and this stuff is extremely durable.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

O.K. Thanks guys, sounds like a lot of good advise. I think I've got it and yes, I guess you can make it as complicated or simple as you like.
I sprung for the Z8 to use in place of the Z6 so we'll see how it goes.

I'll layer the products going for the ultimate shine!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
I did what SOMSS1LE suggested except with Z16 as a top coat since I don't have Z8.

It's also nice to use Z16 between coats. Not sure about doing the same with Z8 though.
I believe Z16 is the tire shine/dressing, I'm sure you meant Z6 hence my thread, it can get a little confusing!
I'm not entirely sure myself about substituting Z8 for Z6.

BTW I have to hijack my own thread and ask your impression of the new cam. I am very jealous!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As stated before the Z6 is mostly for keeping your applicator pad moist as you are putting the Z2,Z5 onto the pad.. You spray a little bit of Z6, then apply to the pad either the Z2 or Z5.. It also helps to spread it out much further.. I'm not sure you can use Z8 in the same way as it's designed to be more of a final coat after everything else or a "quick detailer" type thing.. I don't believe it gloss enhances during the polish process like Z6...

I would email that question to Sal at Zaino and see what he says.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled this from the Zaino site, I should have just got the Z6 as well but from the sound of it I should get a good result.
As a side note, I have been very happy with the "Ice" detail spray by Turtle Wax!

Do I use Z-8 or Z-6 between coats of Zaino Show Car Polishes (Z-2 PRO, Z-3 and Z-5)?
Either Z-6 or Z-8 will achieve fantastic results. For our more budget conscious customers, outstanding results have and will continue to be attained using Z-6 prior to each application of Zaino polish. We’re spoiled; we use Z-8 all the time.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a testimonial I pulled as well :

Z8
My previous car had 63 coats of Zaino on it. I used Z-2, 5, & 6 religiously and had no plans to change. I decided to bite the bullet and try Z-8. I am completely blown away. Terrific stuff and I feel it is easier to use than Z-6.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DriftR
As a side note, I have been very happy with the "Ice" detail spray by Turtle Wax!
I would not suggest using Ice detail spray (likely silicone-based) with Zaino sealants at any time. It's likely to cause bonding issues with future Zaino applications.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool, there you go.. I still need to pickup some Z8 but haven't yet.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I would not suggest using Ice detail spray (likely silicone-based) with Zaino sealants at any time. It's likely to cause bonding issues with future Zaino applications.
Good to know... I believe you are right, it is silicone based.
Thanks!
Old 07-30-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 862 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftR
Here's a testimonial I pulled as well :

Z8
My previous car had 63 coats of Zaino on it. I used Z-2, 5, & 6 religiously and had no plans to change. I decided to bite the bullet and try Z-8. I am completely blown away. Terrific stuff and I feel it is easier to use than Z-6.
Just for the record, there is no way anyone had 63 coats of Zaino on a car-it won't layer that many times. A couple coats of Z5P or Z2P and top it off with Z8 occasionally and your car will look incredible.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I Zaino'd the car today. I simply used Megs Ultimate Quick Detailer first (to wipe off any dust that has accumulated on my ten minute trip) after this UQD I threw on a coat of Z2 followed by Z8. I would just use Z5-Z2-Z8 DONE*unless you have ZFX then you can do multiple coats.

My only question to the rest of the guys using zaino is if Z8 can be used to remove light dust in between washes?

Quick Reply: What's your Zaino "Method"?