Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Bulb to LED List

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turbotransam09
anyone know how to get the hvac bulbs out of their sockets? i cant seem to pull them out.
Get some super sticky tape (like Gaff tape, duct tape or Gorilla tape, not scotch tape, lol) and wrap it around the exposed part of the bulb. Make sure it's really on there and then pull it out. You're basically making a pull tab for the bulbs.

Should come out rather easy. Or use a "bulb puller tool".
Old 09-16-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by green28
So is it a big deal if the 4410x9 Festoon LED Bulbs in the rearview mirror and the Fixed Loop Festoon Bulb in the dome light stay very faintly lit when the lights are off?
I just so happened to walk by my car last night in the dark garage and noticed this too, IMHO nothing to worry about, its so dim its surely cant suck down much voltage.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by green28
So is it a big deal if the 4410x9 Festoon LED Bulbs in the rearview mirror and the Fixed Loop Festoon Bulb in the dome light stay very faintly lit when the lights are off? As soon as both ends of the bulb made contact they are dimmly lit, enough that I wouldn't notice unless i was looking for it. This isn't going to prematurely burn out the bulb or run down the battery would it? I wouldn't think but this is my first time dealing with LED's so I had to ask.
I actually only got one mirror LED in, could not get the second one in because I bumped one of the metal holders and could not get it back in place so gave up on it last night. Also couldn't get the door lights out, but read through the thread and found some tricks I'll have to try tonight.
Yes they will stay very dimly lit. I think this is because filament bulbs need a certain amount of current to overcome the resistance of the filament and make them illuminate. LEDs require much less, so the residual current that is there from the battery just being connected is enough to cause them to illuminate. I doubt this will drain the battery any more than normal since that current is there with normal bulbs, it just doesnt cause them to illuminate. As for the life of the leds, Ive had mine in for about 2 1/2 years and they havent even dimmed even with the slight current they draw.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry if this has all ready been addressed, but is there a fix for the passenger side door panel LED light being dim. I would like to have the brightness of the driver side door if there is a fix for the problem.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Great Thread!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:08 PM

Anyone know the size LED replacement for the radio controls on the steering wheel in a TA?
Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

This might be answered already in this thread, but i went to superbrightleds site and looked for the replacements for the brake lights/front/rear turn signals and it says "DO NOT USE WITH GM DRL" do they say that because it wont work without resistors? but if that was the case why dont they say "must have resistors" instead of dont do it...my question is what happens if i do it? anyone done it?
Old 01-08-2011, 05:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to bring this thread back up as i know it's been beat to death. I am wanting something a little brighter for my license plate and from what i understand the WLED-x5 is what i need? Also, I wanted to get an LED reverse bulb and saw this one a few posts back:

Originally Posted by ec_nova
just ordered a complete interior set and some kickass reverse LED's ( i have 5% tint need all the light possible lol) will post pics when it's all installed

this is the reverse LED I will be using

Is this the right one i'd need? Also is this on superbrights website or is this from someone else? Thanks guys!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Veteran

^^lol Those won't fit in your reverse housing.

These are your best option for reverse lights at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs-...ht_1810wt_1163

Also, using a led strip will make the lighting more even on the license plate vs. having just one bulb. I used this strip for my license plate:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flexible-Car-Str...#ht_2901wt_903

Last edited by Ls1CamaroGuy87; 01-08-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ls1CamaroGuy87

Also, using a led strip will make the lighting more even on the license plate vs. having just one bulb. I used this strip for my license plate:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Flexible-Car-Str...#ht_2901wt_903
I didn't think so but someone in a previous post said it was do-able. So does the LED strip just splice into the wiring that is there for the regular bulb? Are you satisfied with it? Thanks for the links and help!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

You can splice the strip on the existing wiring. I am satisfied with mine. Like I said, the lighting is more even vs. using a single bulb. Just keep in mind you will need to use some type of glue or double stick tape to mount that particular strip as it does not have any adhesive. There are SMD strips on ebay for about the same price that are brighter and have adhesive for easy mounting.

There is no way the spider LED is compatible with our reverse lights, it barely fits in the brake light section, which is larger than the reverse section. It is also not the best LED choice for the brake lights for that matter.

Last edited by Ls1CamaroGuy87; 01-10-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

not sure if i missed this...the new LED Lights from that i got seem to be loose in my rear view mirror, they are round compared to the ends of the stock more oval/square to be nice and tight, i have a TA, any idea on how to keep them from being so loose??? they fliker sometimes when going over pot holes >:{
Old 01-11-2011, 07:22 PM
TECH Veteran

^^Use some silicone, like RTV brand. Just put some on the bulb or in the socket (obviously not a ton) and re-install. Since LEDS don't produce much heat, the silicone will hold them in there for as long as you like. OR you can get a different set of bulbs from a different source, but silicone is a better method IMO.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: or you can bend the little contact wires on the bulb or socket so it will be more snug. I had to do this to some of my gauge LEDS.

Last edited by Ls1CamaroGuy87; 01-11-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

silicone for real?? lol sounds funny but i guess i might give it a try...i ordered the led lights from superbrightleds.com
Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BirdMan96
Anyone know the size LED replacement for the radio controls on the steering wheel in a TA?
For those wanting to do the steering wheel controls, I used a 3mm LED. For those with a camaro, if you want them to match the white LED with bluish white color, you will need to put the blue rubber cover onto the LED. For those wanting blue just use a blue LED etc.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are these the lights ur using? I saw ur pic of em on fquick. Wondering if they are as bright as they look cuz its dark as **** in my apartments and cant see **** when im backing up at night...

Originally Posted by The Guz
For those wanting to do the steering wheel controls, I used a 3mm LED. For those with a camaro, if you want them to match the white LED with bluish white color, you will need to put the blue rubber cover onto the LED. For those wanting blue just use a blue LED etc.

What resistors are u using? Any pics of them installed?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM
TECH Veteran

The ones pictured in my fquick were recently swapped for the ebay ones I posted. The newer ones are slightly brighter.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

The ones pictured in my fquick were recently swapped for the ebay ones I posted. The newer ones are slightly brighter.
What I was getting at is can u actually tell they are on when u reverse?
Old 01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
TECH Veteran

^Yes. I wouldn't use them if I couldn't tell they when they are on. I have 5% tint on the rear window, so it is somewhat difficult to see with any bulb. These are slightly better than stock, but nothing dramatic.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrismikeb
Are these the lights ur using? I saw ur pic of em on fquick. Wondering if they are as bright as they look cuz its dark as **** in my apartments and cant see **** when im backing up at night...

What resistors are u using? Any pics of them installed?
I did one set andI want to say that I either used 470 ohm or 560 ohm 1/4 watt resistors. I dod not ahve a picture at the moment of them on. the only downside is that they are a little dimmer with the rubber cover on them. I forget what brightness I went with but you can get some brighter ones. Also when doing these mae sure the LED is facing straight up so the light points to the writing on the buttons.

Quick Reply: Bulb to LED List