Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

headlights and HID's who? what? and where?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights and HID's who? what? and where?

I have a 2001 camaro i tried really hard trying to get the hazing off of them. in fact i tried for 2 days, sanded, buffed, didnt like it. sanded, buffed, still didnt like it, did it again just not looking as good as i want. so im thinking of buying new headlights but dont know which ones to buy. and today i went to go look at what bulbs r in my fog lights and broke the bulb.

first question. what kind of headlights do i buy ive seen these ones with like a black surround those look nice, but how well will they work with the HID's

second question where do i buy the headlights, does anyone have a perfered dealer? any horror stories

third question where do i buy the HID's again does anybody have a perfered dearler?

r the fog light bulbs available in HID's i think it would look really nice if i got all my lights to be HID's
Old 08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

I'll answer your last question. You can get HIDs for your fogs. I did in January for my TA. Your fog light bulb should be a 894. I bought my slim ballast kit on ebay for like $90 or something, and work great. Better than the HIDs that the PO had put in my GTO. https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ghts-hids.html There's the thread that I made when I installed them. I'll let a Camaro owner answer the other questions, since I never installed HIDs in my Camaro when I had it.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

the ones with the black surround are most likely halo's. and to answer one of your questions, hid's work very well with halo's bc they have a projector for the bulb. if you just buy a factory headlight and use hid's, the light is going to scatter on the lense and **** a lot of ppl off lol. BUT, it's completely worth it and i'll never go back to non-hid bulbs. you can pm me if you would like to know one of the best places to get quality hid's.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to clarify, not all halos have projectors. The single halos are just stock housings with a halo piece in front.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:12 AM
Launching!

I wish there was a company that made a projector headlight without the LEDs and halos for our cars.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:25 AM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Great Thread Guys, I am very interested as well about HID's. I have the black halo headlights you speak of in my 99 Z28. I bought them off ebay for 1xx something I cant remember, I am not the biggest fan of the headlights though. It is hard to keep the sitting level and pointed correctly down the road.
Originally Posted by majeskyb
I'll answer your last question. You can get HIDs for your fogs. I did in January for my TA. Your fog light bulb should be a 894. I bought my slim ballast kit on ebay for like $90 or something, and work great. Better than the HIDs that the PO had put in my GTO. https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ghts-hids.html There's the thread that I made when I installed them. I'll let a Camaro owner answer the other questions, since I never installed HIDs in my Camaro when I had it.
Awesome thread, I checked it out and was woundering how hard was it to install the HID's? and how much would you say an entire kit for the headlights and fog lights run?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:17 PM

ok i know that projectors make better headlights cause i want to go HID's but where do i buy them? who here has delt with some one that is realiable?

and how many different projectors r there? and truthfully not a fan of the halos

and what HID kit do i buy and where?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Great Thread Guys, I am very interested as well about HID's. I have the black halo headlights you speak of in my 99 Z28. I bought them off ebay for 1xx something I cant remember, I am not the biggest fan of the headlights though. It is hard to keep the sitting level and pointed correctly down the road.

Awesome thread, I checked it out and was woundering how hard was it to install the HID's? and how much would you say an entire kit for the headlights and fog lights run?
When I ordered my HIDs, I followed 98 WS6's write-up/opinions on brand, and have not been disappointed. https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-trans-am.html That is a pretty good write-up that he did for us Pontiac guys, and I used the seller he suggested on ebay for my kit. I think they were $88 shipped, and took about a week to arrive. I don't think they were the Xentec, as non of the actual hardware was labeled, but they still work great.

Quick Reply: headlights and HID's who? what? and where?