Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Starting a self-employed job.. few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a self-employed job.. few questions.

So the plan is to start a self-employed job where i wash cars in the neighborhood. I'm a full time student in college and just need some extra cash.

When i say wash it, it would most likely consist of wash outside, wheels, vacuum inside and some armor-all. Not a super detail but not a just a rinse..

I plan on charging 30-35 bucks per car. Wax is optional and would cost 10-15bucks more..

I have a few concerns/questions on what I'm going to do...

Black cars have obviously been a bitch to clean, how do i deal with waterspots? I know that washing in the shade helps, but what if thats not an option?

Also for waxing... I probably would end up using a liquid wax, apply it then buff it.

Clean wheels and add tire wet...

Vacuum inside and clean it up

Are my prices reasonable? I accounted for the luxury of not having to leave home to do it..

Any tips/advice?

Any tools/products you recommend me getting? or procedures i should use?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

go mobile. way more business. At our shop when the mobile "detail" guys come around they usually have a table full of keys for washes. they range from 25-40 depending on which guy it is.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Launching!

mobile? What exactly do you mean?
I plan on going mobile throughout neighborhoods.. going to them for the washes but are you talking about something else?
Old 09-17-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Usually a mobile guy will bring a water tank.. soaps. wax. pop up tent. and all his tools for a good quick cheap detail.

He will go to the office manager ask to hook up to the water and do his car free if he will let him get the water and try and get some business.

So he gets to fill up his water tank super cheap and he can wash a bunch of cars (hopefully) at a office or complex and he can get some cash.

win win.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I would be more worried about uncle sam...
Old 09-17-2009, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Uncle who??? Cash is your friend!!!!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Launching!

a friend of mine did something like this. full detail is where the money is at. he also layed pinstripes, fixed cloudy headlights, polished wheels, minor body work. he now has a shop and doesnt take home as much money due to his overhead. He repaired interiors too. fixed torn seats and carpet, fixed windshields as well. he did a lot of work for the local used car dealers.

Last edited by mxmccarter2401; 09-17-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 09-18-2009, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
What uncle sam doesnt know wont hurt him..
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forget about the "Uncle", cash is king. My business is mobile, per say. I have been lucky enough to hook up with a few shops and now most of my clients have multiple cars. I just go to their house and use the water and electricity. Thought about buying a water tank years ago, but never had to. I do have a generator, but only use it at a few places. I bought a large rolling box from Home Depot that stores most of my supplies, towels, etc. If you do a good job, your business will pick up fast. I have a full time job and detail on the side and am busier than I want to be. I have had to let a few go because it was just too much. Thought about hiring somebody, but I'm not interested in doing that. All of my clients say it would be good to hire some help as long as I still do their vehicles. I understand their concern. I do not have time to fix or go behind someones work. Get some good car wash, wax/polish and some microfibers and get to cleaning. Add more items as you can. I used to wax/polish by hand. Then I found out about the Porter Cable. Best money I ever spent. Anything that will cut your time down is money in your pocket. My only overhead is the gas and the products that I use. Like stated above, having a shop gets expensive fast. With detailing its much easier to stay mobile. Your prices look okay, just don't cut yourself short. Word of mouth travels fast, good and bad. I see your from Houston, let me know if I can help you in any way. This passed summer about killed me. Temp. at 100+ with 100% humitity. Good Luck