Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

So what can "I" do for a cleaner shinier car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what can "I" do for a cleaner shinier car?

Okay, Im sick of the swirled looking paint job and those fine clear coat scratches. I used mother paint cleaner on some of the surfaces with pretty good success but you can still feel the scratch. I am no body work/detailer. But what can I use at the operator level to "wax" or really clean up my car? I heard Zaino works wonders but when I go to their website they have 50 different products to use.

I bought turtle wax ICE liquid polish which I will use this weekend, but is there anything else I can use to really bring out the shine? The car spent alot of its life in a garage with the previous owner so I know it can still really shine.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EDIT: Before I really suggest everything below, let me ask, how is your paint's finish? Light swirls, heavy swirls?

Get these:
http://www.tropi-care.com/Porter_Cab..._p/tcpc-10.htm
http://www.tropi-care.com/Menzerna_S..._p/men-sip.htm
http://www.tropi-care.com/Swirl_Cutter_p/tc-8.htm
Wax/sealant of your choice.

Clay bar
Porter Cable 7424 w/ orange pad, Menzerna Super intensive polish
White pad w/ Tropicare swirl cutter
Blue pad w/ Tropicare Sealant xP/Or another Carnauba wax.

That'll get you started if you really want your car looking good on your own. Nothing you can do by hand will be easy and provide amazing results. I've been able to get near perfect finishes with just Menzerna on an orange pad, and then on a white pad without using swirl cutter. But the choice is up to you.

Last edited by 98 WS6; 10-07-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

The swirls arent bad, its mainly when I chamoi the car in direct sunlight and the water evaporates to fast. But my main concern are those tiny little clear coat scratches. Yeah I know Im nit picky like a crazy **** when it comes to my TA
Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 PM
11 Second Club

Don't worry, I am too. The best advice I could give you is what I posted above. If they're light swirls, the swirl cutter alone on a white pad could do the job. It's always nice to have a Porter Cable and a variety of pads & polishes laying around, that way you can always take care of your cars.

But, if you want, you could order some swirl remover, and try it by hand and see what results you can get. I've also heard a lot of people use Meguiars Scratch-X by hand with great results, but I've never tried it.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porter cable all the way!
Old 10-07-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Proper prep is 90% of the finished result.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Thumbs up

I had a PC but got rid of it and went to a Flex 3401 , awesome machine, I just tonite used my Flex and hit the car with some Danase Wet Glaze for a show this weekend, my wife walked in as I was finishing up and said "the car looks darker, deeper, what did you do, its looks like glass"... So tomorrow night I will apply one coat of Pinnacle Sovereign Paste Wax

These products are considered boutique products because you really cant walk in anywhere per say and get them, mostly detail supply companies.

Suggest you do some reading over at http://www.autopia.org, its a car detailing forum, and alps @ http://www.detailerscafe.com too
Old 10-08-2009, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

Where do you live, army?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Removing those scratches and other blemishes(see but can not feel) is part of a multi-step process to restore the gloss and clarity of the paint surface. If you can feel the scratch with your fingernail, it is unlikely to remove it safely without removing too much clear coat material.

After a thorough washing to remove loose surface dirt and road film, it starts with the use of the clay bar to remove the dulling contaminants that contribute to a low luster clear coat. After the clay bar, machine polishing offers a faster and greater degree of improvement as compared hand attempts.

Using a machine whether it's the Porter Cable or FLEX is determined by how much patience one has for seeing improvement in the paint quality. The cost effective PC provide safe, consistent results for all experience levels with its use. The FLEX provides about 50% more power than the PC at top speed. Using the different density foam pads and polishes provide a range of results using scratch removing compounds to non-abrasive wax protection and sealant.

Feel free to contact me with any questions and I'll can give you some options to choose from for your detailing needs. You can reach me anytime at steve@tropi-care.com or the toll-free number below.

Steve Pasztor
Old 10-08-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I recommend ther Porter Cable, I have a Black Car and use it all the time, That and some ZAINO...... Also recommend going to WWW.Autopia.org. and do some research. Anybody that wants to take good care of their car, needs to visit Autopia.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default finish paint

Originally Posted by usarmyz28
okay, im sick of the swirled looking paint job and those fine clear coat scratches. I used mother paint cleaner on some of the surfaces with pretty good success but you can still feel the scratch. I am no body work/detailer. But what can i use at the operator level to "wax" or really clean up my car? I heard zaino works wonders but when i go to their website they have 50 different products to use.

I bought turtle wax ice liquid polish which i will use this weekend, but is there anything else i can use to really bring out the shine? The car spent alot of its life in a garage with the previous owner so i know it can still really shine.
claybar works great
Old 10-26-2009, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I used Route 66 Exotic Coatings Scratch and Swirl remover with a PC and it does wonders. You should check them out www.rt66wax.com let them know your from LS1tech and he'll give a discount.
Old 10-26-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

im going to tackle this also just ordered Menzerna polishes an orange white and blue pad and a bunch of zaino z5 and 8 wish me luck this stuff adds up quickly lol
Old 10-26-2009, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

I stick to clay baring meguires and then meguires tech wax.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Another vote for the Porter Cable! I did the Meguiars 105/205 combo to my wife's 2000 Ford Focus and made the paint look new again (minus the deep scratches that can't be buffed out).
Old 10-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Launching!

As said before:

Call or e-mail Steve - best advice and service if you want to go all in for a full detail swirl slight scratch removal.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
I had a PC but got rid of it and went to a Flex 3401 , awesome machine, I just tonite used my Flex and hit the car with some Danase Wet Glaze for a show this weekend, my wife walked in as I was finishing up and said "the car looks darker, deeper, what did you do, its looks like glass"... So tomorrow night I will apply one coat of Pinnacle Sovereign Paste Wax

These products are considered boutique products because you really cant walk in anywhere per say and get them, mostly detail supply companies.

Suggest you do some reading over at http://www.autopia.org, its a car detailing forum, and alps @ http://www.detailerscafe.com too
I 2nd the Flex. I just finally used mine (purchased last Dec) and some Menzerna polishes on my TA and the results were astounding. My car was swirled up pretty bad. My combo ended up being SIP on a white pad, then 106FA on white to finish up.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
TECH Regular

By far the best thing to use is Adams detailing products
http://www.adamspolishes.com/

If jay leno uses these product on his multi million car collection...its should be damn good.
ive used everything on the market nothing compares to, value, simplicity, and results!!

Quick Reply: So what can "I" do for a cleaner shinier car?