Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Camaro Gauge Cluster Needles?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Camaro Gauge Cluster Needles?

I have a 98 T/A.Will the gauge cluster needles out of a camaro fit in my T/A?From what I have seen they are red,right?What about the weight?If so what years?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as long as the Camaro is a 98+ they will work. the older needles have different bases and are not interchangeable. weight is not an issue, they will work just fine
Old 11-24-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

You just want a different color? Pull your needles off, the color the needles light up is whatever the back is painted. Carefully sand the back, and paint(just the back) whatever color you want(paint marker works pretty well here). You can also leave them clear if you so choose.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sman
You just want a different color? Pull your needles off, the color the needles light up is whatever the back is painted. Carefully sand the back, and paint(just the back) whatever color you want(paint marker works pretty well here). You can also leave them clear if you so choose.
its more complex than that if you want the needles to light up right
Old 11-24-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

How do you do it properly? It'd be awesome if it was that easy!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

It will throw the calibratioin off if youpaint them.Are the needles in your gauges red?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry for the ...

Originally Posted by InfernoTA
I have a 98 T/A.Will the gauge cluster needles out of a camaro fit in my T/A?From what I have seen they are red,right?What about the weight?If so what years?
Like hitman said, if you have an LS1, you need LS1 needles. Weight will not be an issue. Also, you cant sand off the color, the needles are molded that color (in LS1's).

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
as long as the Camaro is a 98+ they will work. the older needles have different bases and are not interchangeable. weight is not an issue, they will work just fine
100% true.

False for LS1's, but true for LT1's.

Originally Posted by LadyDriven
How do you do it properly? It'd be awesome if it was that easy!
Lol, tell me about it. I'm actually reproducing needles for LS1's. Here's where you can find pics of them... on 6litereaters website. http://6litereaterdesigns.com/forum/...hp?topic=952.0

Originally Posted by InfernoTA
It will throw the calibratioin off if youpaint them.Are the needles in your gauges red?
No you wont throw off the calibration, but you can't paint the undersides of LS1 needles to make them change color...only on LT1's (and they aren't interchangable between cars. So far we've got about 12 different colored needles to choose from.... with more coming everyday!

Hope this helps.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Staging Lane

ok, i now know 98-02 camaro needles will work.will somebody please tell me if they are red.
Old 11-25-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, '98-'02 Camaro needles are red plastic. They're not just painted red or have a red backing.

Last edited by Sommer86; 11-25-2009 at 12:31 AM. Reason: oops
Old 11-25-2009, 12:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks
Old 11-25-2009, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I can take mine off, sand them down, and repaint them since it is a 95? Mine are faded as hell, I would love to do this.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by madhatter
So I can take mine off, sand them down, and repaint them since it is a 95? Mine are faded as hell, I would love to do this.
Correct. Just be careful. And FYI, unless you put a reflective white coat on AFTER the color, you probably wont get them to light up as well as they did before you "fixed" them. Probably.

Oh, and I did hitmans needles a while ago as I experimented with LT1's...maybe he'll post a pic.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by madhatter
here are mine Sommer made for me, a second, better designed set is in the works.

Day shot

Night shot. In person the needles are brighter and the cluster lighting isnt spotty like it is in the pic. this was taken with an iPhone

Quick Reply: Camaro Gauge Cluster Needles?