Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Oem hid's

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oem hid's

Would oem hid"s from a newer vette work on my 2000 z28? or how about other stock hid's from a escalade, lexus rx400 ect.?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They could but you would need an adapter harness to convert to the HID components of the oem vehicles. Additionally, you non hid factory housing will not accept a oem hid lamp.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

would the hid lamps fit into those projector headlights they sell on ebay with the halos?
Old 02-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Banned

No they won't fit into those projector housings. There are a couple different ways you could accommodate an OEM style HID bulb into a camaro headlight housing.

A) Silicone those bitches in there (not recommended)
B) Buy a set of projectors that fit the bulb, and retrofit the projector into the housing (check HIDplanet.com)

You'll also have to build or buy a custom wiring harness that will plug into your stock bulb connectors and have a ground along with a positive battery connection. A lot of the guys on hidplanet.com will build you a custom wiring harness for a price .

If just want HIDs, check sponsors or ebay.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The projectors on ebay use either an H3 ("ok" light output) or H1 (much better output) bulb. So to use those, you'd just get an H3 or H1 retrofit kit. I have H1 projectors in my car, with an H1 retrofit kit, and it has been working flawlessly for well over a year.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Banned

h3 projectors are basically fog light projectors...great for headlights...not
Old 02-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys

i just don't want a cheap set that id go out on me soon... & i like how on the factory hid's change color as they're coming at you
Old 02-07-2010, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bay Area Y2K_Z28
Thanks guys

i just don't want a cheap set that id go out on me soon... & i like how on the factory hid's change color as they're coming at you
OEM hids are certainly going to be more reliable than a kit however there are some good kits out there with decent reputations.

The color change you see from the oem stuff is simply the cutoff from the factory projector. Some aftermarket projectors will give you this effect are you go past the cutoff point.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
OEM hids are certainly going to be more reliable than a kit however there are some good kits out there with decent reputations.

The color change you see from the oem stuff is simply the cutoff from the factory projector. Some aftermarket projectors will give you this effect are you go past the cutoff point.

oh ok, what do you mean by cutoff? do you know of any good aftermarket projectors with this effect?

Quick Reply: Oem hid's