Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Removing side molding. Do i need to repaint?

Old 02-18-2010, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing side molding. Do i need to repaint?

I think my car will look better with the side moldings removed. Although, the molding is on very tight...I'm curious what is under it...I'm thinking it will have a thick different color line across the car...Has anyone done it? Do you just remove the molding off the side, or is there a special way to do it?

Also, i'm thinking about removing the side formula logo as well and keep everything clean white with the black side markers. I think it will look nice. Sorry about the bad quality phone pics.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

nothing special is required at all. just get some thick fishing line (VERY easy to use), and slide it under and break a line in the adhesive, and slowly work your way across the trim. once you separate it enough you'll be able to pull the trim off the car.

once you've got all the trim off, thats when the actual hard part starts. a heat gun/hair blow dryer will be a HUGE help. just heat up the adhesive, and then with your fingers just rub it off. this was the longest part of the process for me.

once you've got it all off get some goo gone, goof off, or some other adhesive remover and clean up the residue left behind from the adhesive.

unless your car has been painted (without the trim being removed) you will have the same color underneath.

give your car a wash, and admire the new look. (same process for the letters). i'm SO glad i removed the moldings/letters on my car. its so much cleaner looking.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

The sides have been painted...It used to have pin striping from the previous owner...Dammit. I'll have to take it to a paint place i suppose...Sigh...Not sure how they will match a line though.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

you should probably just leave them on then. i highly doubt it'll look good just painting the stripes alone. seems like you'd have to paint a lot more than just the stripe to blend it good.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah they'll have to paint the whole door probably and blend the fender and quarter panel. Please take off the rear formula sticker its the biggest one I've ever seen on the bumper lol
Old 02-18-2010, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dont people just usually wetsand off the pinstripe...?

Why dont you just do that?
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bigj2717
Yeah they'll have to paint the whole door probably and blend the fender and quarter panel. Please take off the rear formula sticker its the biggest one I've ever seen on the bumper lol
^this.

never been a big fan of the formula decal. the sound of the car alone should be enough to set it apart from the firebirds to anyone who knows about these cars.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

I like the formula decal.

If the owner only had pinstripes removed, then the car probably hasn't been repainted. You can remove pinstripes without paint work.

The other thing you have to worry about when removing trim is if your paint is faded, because the paint underneath won't be. It shouldn't be a big deal with a white car though.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SuperSport346
If the owner only had pinstripes removed, then the car probably hasn't been repainted. You can remove pinstripes without paint work.
true. if its just pinstripes, you may be able to work with that. i didn't read that right.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

I personally like the side moldings, when I bought my car it didn't have any side mouldings so I put them back on
Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

it took some of my paint off all the way to the primer.
but i didnt use a heat gun.

my advice is heat it up for awhile then peel it off slowly
Old 02-20-2010, 12:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SuperSport346
I like the formula decal.

The other thing you have to worry about when removing trim is if your paint is faded, because the paint underneath won't be. It shouldn't be a big deal with a white car though.
Most likely it would be faded...I don't imagine it being the "exact" same color. So essentially, I need to choose whether or not I want to repaint the sides of the car...(I probably will)

Personally, I like the formula decal because it's different. I took the font style from the firehawk and made it bigger. The formula bumper is so narrow, the sticker makes the car look a bit more mean from the back and draws less attention to the width. It looks pretty cool in person and i haven't really heard any complaints...
Old 02-20-2010, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

honestly, i've never heard of ANY one having problems with the color under the strips not matching simply because of fading. i would not worry about that at all.

i'm not sure 100% on details, butyou can sand away stripes. if you just do that (wetsand the stripes off) and then buff it all, you can probably have it looking like the pinstripes were never there. i'd try to find more info on this before anything if i were you. i really don't see any reason you'll need to repaint anything since all of the white paint is factory paint.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

I highly doubt you'll have any issue with the color not matching. Unless your car has sat out in the sun all of it's life, then you probably shouldn't be too concerned. White doesn't fade much anyways...
Old 02-20-2010, 01:46 AM
TECH Junkie

I'd get a hood that doesn't have such distinct *** rectangles for the ram air scoops before removing side moulding lol
Old 02-20-2010, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

whats the font name for the 'formula' decal?
Old 02-20-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

^post up some pics with the hood.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing side molding. Do i need to repaint?