Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

SEM, Which one???

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SEM, Which one???

I know what color, that isn't the problem. I am looking to dye my dash, steering, et al, but I ran across what looks to be a problem. I looked at the "Color Coat," but online at some stores, it says "this is not a dye." I thought certainly the "Color Coat" was what I wanted.

Am I wrong?
If so, what SEM dye do I want?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 PM
9 Second Club

For reference...
Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Door panel surrounds complete:

These are the SEM products that I used:

Old 02-20-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

get the Duplicolor vinyl paint at Advance or Autozone.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

I've seen too many people have amazing results with the SEM brand. Anyone know if it is the "Color Coat?"
Old 02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

It doesnt really matter . Vinyl is not porus like cloth material and therefore cannot be dyed . Vinyl dye is generic term used in the industry , when in reality all things reffered to as dye for vinyl is just a topcoat . SEM products are about as good as your gonna get in a rattle can . Also if u want a more matte finish like when the car is new , they also make a matte(satin) clearcoat . Landau black comes out a bit shiney , the satin black is a bit better but still comes out a lil shiney .

Option 2 .... Any automotive paint store will stock Dupont , ppg ect. interior paints and will have a color sample book to look at that is searchable by year , make , and model of almost any car made . Pick your color , and they can mix it with the proper flex additives ect . If you dont have a paint gun to spray it , the same paint shop should sell a kit that consist of a glass jar and a aerosal cannister that screws on top of it . That will allow you to spray the paint the paint shop mixed . Its a sweet option for small stuff if u want more options than a rattle can can provide .

To get it to last make sure its scrubed clean soap and water and rinsed then use a plasic adhesion promotor for the plastic panels and vinyl prep for the dash .
Old 02-21-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
It doesnt really matter . Vinyl is not porus like cloth material and therefore cannot be dyed . Vinyl dye is generic term used in the industry , when in reality all things reffered to as dye for vinyl is just a topcoat . SEM products are about as good as your gonna get in a rattle can . Also if u want a more matte finish like when the car is new , they also make a matte(satin) clearcoat . Landau black comes out a bit shiney , the satin black is a bit better but still comes out a lil shiney .

Option 2 .... Any automotive paint store will stock Dupont , ppg ect. interior paints and will have a color sample book to look at that is searchable by year , make , and model of almost any car made . Pick your color , and they can mix it with the proper flex additives ect . If you dont have a paint gun to spray it , the same paint shop should sell a kit that consist of a glass jar and a aerosal cannister that screws on top of it . That will allow you to spray the paint the paint shop mixed . Its a sweet option for small stuff if u want more options than a rattle can can provide .

To get it to last make sure its scrubed clean soap and water and rinsed then use a plasic adhesion promotor for the plastic panels and vinyl prep for the dash .
Awesome post man! You answered pretty much every question I've had regarding SEM and painting the interior.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LT4vert

Good information. I would strongly suggest going with option 2. I used SEM Landau Black like everyone said, but it was WAY too shiny and wasn't even close to matching. I also tried Duplicolor Flat Black Vinyl Paint, but it was only slightly better than the SEM. I decided to go ahead and paint the dash with SEM Landau Black anyway since I had a spare Ebony dash (yes, I was too lazy to take the dash out). The pictures are dark so you can't really see the difference, but the dash is painted with SEM Landau Black and the passenger door panel is Ebony. The Ebony color used in our cars has a brownish tint to the black that you just can't find in a rattle can.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

I used the duplicolor on my car and loved the results, its held up great to the elements so far!
Old 02-21-2010, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

It all depends on how much shine you like . If you really wanna attain a matte finish like a new car , go with option 2 . Use Dupont interior paints . And then follow up with a top coating to Dupont Velvasheild . Velvasheild is clear topcoat you can have mixed to be flat or satin . This is the stuff VW/Audi and alot of other manufactures use on their plastic and vinyl interior parts . Its very scratch resistent and creates a surface thats soft to the touch . Cool stuff .

Like alot paints , I wouldnt mix . Should u choose to use velvashield , I wouldnt spray it over a rattle can paint for fear of it reacting wrong and bubbling or orangepeeling .
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
9 Second Club

Wow, just wow. I have had helpful posts, I have seen helpful posts, but HOLY ****. This takes it!
Thanks for the info. I'll be heading to the automotive paint store this week!
Old 02-21-2010, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing! I am about to do the same with my dash, console and doors. I found ebony parts for most of the rest of the car. Please update on the brands, paint codes, and results with photos! Also, please ask what the acceptable temperature range is for spraying. We are lucky to get highs in the 50's lately.
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2010, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

White01Formula, thanks for the photo. Did you paint your steering column? If so, what did you use? Did you paint your air conditioner vents? Same question.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transsam
Wow, just wow. I have had helpful posts, I have seen helpful posts, but HOLY ****. This takes it!
Thanks for the info. I'll be heading to the automotive paint store this week!
Nother hint to u . Since your going black , if your retaing the stock airbag steering wheel . Your Pontiac air bag and air bag coil and grey radio control buttons will work perfectly with a 95-99 Monte Carlo steering wheel . Its straight black and could be had leather wrapped . The rim is thicker too than the puny Pontiac rim . Spray your Pontiac airbag cover black in the same manner as the dash , swap the radio controls over n there ya go . This is the same wheel used in the 00-02 Camaros difference being the Camaro verison is Ebony and not straight black .

96 Monte Carlo steering wheel

Last edited by LT4vert; 02-21-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

man that dash and door panels up there look bad ***.

Why couldn't they just do these damn things in black, I can't understand why manufacturers do tan and gray.

Quick Reply: SEM, Which one???