Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clay Bar

Well spring is almost here and I'm going to try my hand useing a clay bar. It's gonna take awhile I'm sure but anyone have any advice?
Old 02-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep the surface of the car wet and mix the bar often.. oh yeah dont drop it in the dirt. lol
Old 02-21-2010, 04:32 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah just be careful not to drop and keep surface wet with detail spray and do it in the shade. And if your cars paint is not in real bad shape it doesn't take as long as you might think. IMO. You will love the way the paint feels afterwards.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LeftySS
Yeah just be careful not to drop and keep surface wet with detail spray and do it in the shade. And if your cars paint is not in real bad shape it doesn't take as long as you might think. IMO. You will love the way the paint feels afterwards.
i would so have to agree on how it feels. its awesome almost soft, if i could describe it.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kool_chic2
i would so have to agree on how it feels. its awesome almost soft, if i could describe it.
Yeah and then after you polish and wax.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:44 PM
Launching!

So would detail spray be better than water? I was told to wash the car with Dawn soap too. said something about it helps remove the old wax build up?
Old 02-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95BlkBird
So would detail spray be better than water? I was told to wash the car with Dawn soap too. said something about it helps remove the old wax build up?
i would use the detail spray. not sure on the dial soap. sorry
Old 02-21-2010, 04:53 PM
11 Second Club

Well the clay should remove alot if not all of the old wax. But I wouldn't use dawn just because car wash soap is suppose to have agents and help wash the dirt off without scratching kindof makes the surface slick for the dirt to slid on, if you will. I would probably wash again after clay just to hit it again and to get any clay residue off that might get left behind. That should get the surface pretty clean to polish and wax.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:56 PM
11 Second Club

Yes, use detail spray. I just use one of the clay kits you can get at the local parts stores. It comes with the spray and a MF towel.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Well the clay should remove alot if not all of the old wax. But I wouldn't use dawn just because car wash soap is suppose to have agents and help wash the dirt off without scratching kindof makes the surface slick for the dirt to slid on, if you will. I would probably wash again after clay just to hit it again and to get any clay residue off that might get left behind. That should get the surface pretty clean to polish and wax.
i know that when me and my finacee did the ta and my saturn last summer. i think we washed them by hand with car wash soap then used the clay bar and washed and waxed. it was awesome. cant wiat to taclke my camaro with it when it warms up and not going to snow no more...
Old 02-21-2010, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I typically dont waste detail spray on claying . I mix in spray bottle either 1 of 3 things . Plain dawn mild dishsoap/water , Optimum no-rinse/water or meguires all purpose cleaner/water . No preference , all 3 do serve the same purpose . After claying I re-wash the car and then have a bottle mixed with 91% alcohol/distilled water I mist on and wipe off with a microfiber on each panel before polishing or compounding so the surface is 100% free of any waxes . If u simply just clay with a detail spray then go right to polishing or compounding your working with a surface that has waxes left behind from the spray .
Old 02-21-2010, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I typically dont waste detail spray on claying . I mix in spray bottle either 1 of 3 things . Plain dawn mild dishsoap/water , Optimum no-rinse/water or meguires all purpose cleaner/water . No preference , all 3 do serve the same purpose . After claying I re-wash the car and then have a bottle mixed with 91% alcohol/distilled water I mist on and wipe off with a microfiber on each panel before polishing or compounding so the surface is 100% free of any waxes . If u simply just clay with a detail spray then go right to polishing or compounding your working with a surface that has waxes left behind from the spray .
Yeah the dawn soap is probably a good idea for claying. It would be alot cheaper. But I guess I am just **** and will just use the detailer. No more often then you will probably clay anyway, plus it comes with the kit. Might as well use it. But I do like the distilled water and alcohol spray just before polish. What water/alcohol ratio do you use?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

What water/alcohol ratio do you use?
50/50 . Yea I like too , it gives you a true indicator of the paint condition before ya move on to the next step .
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
Launching!

So as far as keeping the area claying at the time wet, as long as the bar is going over the surface smooth its fine? Or do I keep the area soaked at all times?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go to Pepboys, there is one that comes with the biggest bar - I forgot the name of it. It's in a blue box with a blue character on it. It is a 1.0 gram or something while the others are .80 grams. I take that and cut it in half - no reason to use the whole bar.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:57 PM
11 Second Club

So as far as keeping the area claying at the time wet, as long as the bar is going over the surface smooth its fine? Or do I keep the area soaked at all times?
Just keep it wet enough so the clay is not sticking to the paint. You will know when you get started. It really isn't that difficult and as long as you don't bare down on the paint you really can't mess it up. When you get started you will feel the roughness and like magic it will start to get smoother.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah claybarring is a must atleast twice a year. When you bring it out and when you put it back in. The surface just feels emmaculate when you're done.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Awesome. Looking forward to doing this. Thanks everyone
Old 02-21-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

i will definitely clay bar my car soon. just trying to figure out how to remove the swirls and scratches..lol.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
i will definitely clay bar my car soon. just trying to figure out how to remove the swirls and scratches..lol.
wash
clay bar
meguiars 105 with orange pad on meguiars dual polisher (g110v2)
meguiars 205 with black pad on meguiars dual polisher (g110v2)
wax with nxt 2.0

and you will love the results

Quick Reply: Clay Bar