Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

People who have covered their plastic interior with leather...

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am putting my project on immediate hold. If you can do this with the material you are using, which is one way stretch, then I am moving back to a different material that I like considerably better and is cheaper than the AllStretch. Please Please Please wrap your pillars and make it work. I have another fabric in mind that I LOVE with similar stretch characteristics to what you are using. GOD I HOPE it can be pulled off!
Old 02-25-2010, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by transsam
I am putting my project on immediate hold. If you can do this with the material you are using, which is one way stretch, then I am moving back to a different material that I like considerably better and is cheaper than the AllStretch. Please Please Please wrap your pillars and make it work. I have another fabric in mind that I LOVE with similar stretch characteristics to what you are using. GOD I HOPE it can be pulled off!
What material are you using ? Im pretty familiar with all the brand types . I decided to go straight black on my interior so the panels I wrapped with endurex are out . Ive got a few more samples(all the endurasoft lines and ultraleather brissa) to check out before I make the big purchase , but I think Im pretty set with Ultratech 7000 . Have Gulf Fabrics send u a sample of Ultraleathers( thats the brand name ) Ultratech7000 in sable( black) . Not sure how picky u are with shine , I wanted a really flat finish like in the higher end cars . It just looks good like that . This stuff is sweet . Flat finish , thinner than anything Ive seen , like thin as cloth with the backing , and it rated very high for wear . Its pricey as hell @ $72 a yard though . Its alot , but my thoughts are Im doing this 1 time ...so I want higher end stuff .

Ultratech7000
Name:  100_2675.jpg
Views: 2856
Size:  78.8 KB

Ultratech next to real deal alcantara swatch . The real alcantara is really nice , u think some of the immitation microsuede looks good , then u see this and theres no comparison at all .

As far as the a-pillar trims , mine will be covered in the flat knit headliner material . So I wouldnt beable to show any examples there with vinyl or leather . Tackling that job next week sometime .

Last edited by LT4vert; 02-25-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM
9 Second Club

The fabric that I have fallen in love with is called Whisper Black. It is UV rated at "1000" hours which will hold really well, but it is also a single direction vinyl. What are your thoughts. It is exceedingly inexpensive, has an amazing look and feel, and I simply love the way it looks. It stretches quite well in one direction, but like single direction vinyl, it is not terribly capable of stretching a second direction. Since it really isn't competing with anything that a sponsor offers, I'll go out on a limb and post a link...

http://www.yourautotrim.com/whisper.html

Mods, feel free to take down the link if it violates posting rules.

Here is what it looks like. In person, it is amazing.

On a side note, you are absolutely right about Alcantara. Amazing. Superior to the real thing in every way.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

The whisper material looks really good from that picture . I will have to get a sample card and check it out . I deal with yourautotrim , its a really good company . That where I got the endurex longtitude material from and where Im getting the flat knit headliner material from . Miamicorp , Dubois fabrics and Gulf fabrics(real alcantara) are great outlets for automotive leather and vinyl too .

Post pics when u wrap something in the whisper material , Im curious how thats gonna look . As far as my thoughts , I think youll be ok . As long as u set up laying the vinyl down correctly , you shouldnt be stretching in a alot of different ways anyways . If theres deep contours I typically try to start there , so Im stretching out of ...not into . Its easier to stretch out of a recess and even out on a flat surface . Of course thats not always possible though , just gotta mess with it before ya lay down glue . The longitiude stretched very easily though , so the whisper should be somewhat the same . Those A-pillars , I would start at the bottom below the defroster vent and work up from there .

Last edited by LT4vert; 02-25-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribing! I wanna do this to mine one day.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also looking into this....
Old 02-27-2010, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

Went to a Hancock Fabrics locally here and picked up the Whisper Black vinyl. It is identical to the sample I got from "yourautotrim.com" and was 11.36/yard. I hope it holds up as well as it should given the ratings it has for UV and wear. I won't be able to get started until at least next weekend. Mid-terms are a bitch, and I have 4 next week! Stupid school getting in the way of my mod time!
Old 02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

GL with it . I was curious and ordered a whisper sample card .
Old 02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Teching In

wow im getting all kinds of good ideas from you guys...
Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I plan on wrapping my interior panels w/ alcantara, but I haven't went price searching yet.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trans Am Jam
I plan on wrapping my interior panels w/ alcantara, but I haven't went price searching yet.
Cheapest I've found for real deal alcantara is $99/yard for the panel and trim grade and $104/yard for the thicker seating grade .
Old 02-09-2016, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm bringing this back to life. Did anyone ever follow through on their plans? I'm curious to see how it turned out.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

^me too
Old 02-16-2016, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Check out my thread here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-interior.html

Every plastic piece in my interior will be covered in leather.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:51 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

There have been a few threads over the years on leather wrapping and vinyl wrapping the whole interior. Search and you'll find them.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

My plans took a back burner to other time consuming projects. I autox it alot alot now so priorities changed a bit.

Quick Reply: People who have covered their plastic interior with leather...