Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED Switchback DRL Size for Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of the guys that actually purchased and received the switchbacks? Which ones did you order? 27.99 or the 14.99 each.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the $27.99 ones. If I remember correctly the difference between those and the $14.99 ones is the that the $27.99 ones are SMTs.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NitoV
I ordered the $27.99 ones. If I remember correctly the difference between those and the $14.99 ones is the that the $27.99 ones are SMTs.
I should've been more specific about this yesterday. According to Autolumination the difference is fairly substantial: "The more expensive ones have our patented circuitry. They have a nice flash pattern, and they are better protected from voltage irregularities, which are the primary cause of led failures."
Old 07-30-2010, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NitoV
I should've been more specific about this yesterday. According to Autolumination the difference is fairly substantial: "The more expensive ones have our patented circuitry. They have a nice flash pattern, and they are better protected from voltage irregularities, which are the primary cause of led failures."
Thanks NitoV, is that a response you received from them directly? Didnt see that on the site.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

I got my 48 SMT and protector in. As soon as it's not so fing hot out I'll install it. It says I need to connect the protector to then negative side, does anyone know what color it is?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

Ok. So I finally got both sides installed after sending one of the switchbacks in because of a defect. It says on the website that it's supposed to switch from white to amber when you turn on the turn signal. It only flashes white off and instead of amber-off. When the head lights are on the drl turns to amber and blinks amber-off. I'm also having problems with one side or the other not lighting up all the time, intermittently. I may have some problems with the sockets as they look like they have gotten hot, so I have some new sockets coming.

Another problem I had is the drivers side not blinking. Now I had 2 30 SMT towers installed in the tail light on the drivers side and that I've had for 6 months. I took those out and put the incandescent bulbs back in and it cleared up that problem. I have and EL12 flasher so that it would work with tail lights so I'm not sure why that caused a problem. Overall so far I am not impressed with these switchbacks. It seems like they are more trouble than they are worth. The concept is cool but I think with our cars they just may not be able to work correctly. I will reserve final judgment for when I get the new sockets.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you figure which wire was negative? My switchbacks should be in today, also, did you get them from autolumination?
Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

To NitoV...post #55 says that the led protector is to go on the + wire. However, on their site, it shows on 3 wire set-ups like ours, it goes on the - wire. Any insight on that? Thanks.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

Apparently these sockets have been replaced before so all the wires were the same color. After I pulled my head out of my **** I saw that the wires had but connectors on them I saw the wires were colored a little further up. I followed the instructions on the website that said to put the protector on the negative side. The switchback I've had in for about 2 weeks is still working. Now I have to work on my ds headlight it's started grinding again. I guess I was playing with it to much last night.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chon79
Thanks NitoV, is that a response you received from them directly? Didnt see that on the site.
Yes, direct response. I asked about the difference as well.

Originally Posted by GSus
Did you figure which wire was negative? My switchbacks should be in today, also, did you get them from autolumination?
The holes where the wires go in the sockets are labeled A, B, and G. G is ground. IIRC it's a brown wire...

Originally Posted by GSus
To NitoV...post #55 says that the led protector is to go on the + wire. However, on their site, it shows on 3 wire set-ups like ours, it goes on the - wire. Any insight on that? Thanks.
It goes on the - wire. I think Tracy confused the protector with the load equalizer, which gets wired in parallel across the + and - wires.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet...thanks to the both of you
Old 08-20-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, got everything hooked, works great EXCEPT, everything's opposite. Meaning, tranny in neutral, parking brake off...lights are amber. Turn sigs at this point are amber/off. Turn headlights on, they go white. Turn sigs at this point are white/off.

What did I do? Resistor is on correctly....also, while headlights are on, my turn indicators on the dash are constantly dimly lit.

My turn flasher has already been replaced with an el-12, however, my hazzards have not. Would this have anything to do with it?
Old 08-20-2010, 11:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LED's will work in every single position inside and outside the car. I have every single location inside and outside my car replaced with SMT style LED's all from autolumination. Switchbacks on my car have been worry free for a couple of years. Actually you should always start with a single location and simply figure out which direction the LED should be inserted to light it up correctly before moving to the next location. There are only two combinations, one is correct, and the other is not-correct. You certainly can use a test light to figure it out, but it's over kill in my opinion. I use the EL12 on the turn signals as well as the hazards. Your problem should not have anything to do with having the EL12 in the hazard position. I ran mine for years with just the EL12 on the turn signals. Granted the hazard did not work until I finally switched to a EL12 (I was lazy ). LED's can be real tricky when your converting your entire gauge cluster. It is especially important to do one location at a time. It takes a little longer to check each one, but the results are fantastic. I have even converted the steering wheel controls to LED's. As good as this looks in the picture, it looks even better in person I have literally done every location on my 96 WS6 T/A if you have any questions on LED's I have probably already worked through most of the obstacles. Just ask if you need any suggestions

Here is a pic of the LED SMT switchback from autolumination: The running light is an amber 194 LED. When the switchback functions its all amber

Interior LED's:

Last edited by 96silverram; 08-20-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ ive followed some of your threads before in my quest for nicer lighting. Definitely got pushed by the wayside, but i hope to have an '00 cluster looking like that but with all white lighting soon enough.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:13 AM
12 Second Club

Cool, post pics when you finish
Old 08-21-2010, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Did the 96's come with DRL's? I think this is the issue with DRL's and 98-02 Birds and switchbacks, some sort of electronic component compatibility issue ?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:29 PM
12 Second Club

Oh that's right, I forgot some of the 98-02's come with the DRL's. It may certainly be causing the problem. If I had a couple of hours with a DRL car I bet I could figure it out
Old 08-21-2010, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Mine may work. When I hit my unlock button the drl are supposed to flash. One or the other won't come on every time. I am getting new sockets next week, so we'll see if that clears up th problem. By the way, if anyone needs to order sockets you can get them at auto lumination for $3.59. I didn't want to pay $56 from the auto parts stores. I was just browsing around on there and happen to see them.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 PM
12 Second Club

It is also a good idea to properly clean the socket, scrub the contacts, and apply a small amount of di-electric. I have done this to all of my factory sockets and it seems to make a world of difference for contact.
Old 08-21-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

AAARRGH!!!

Went through everything again...still the same. Noticed that with the headlights off, and the blinker on, the front and rear blinks in unison. Headlights on, blink patterns are opposite...no amber, only white/off.

As soon as I turn on my parking lights, the amber dims slightly and the green arrows illuminate some. Headlights on, amber turns white...green arrows stay the same. Turn on blinker, green arrow goes bright green/dim green. However, turn on the hazards, arrows go bright green/off.

Can someone explain to me a little more in depth as to what the load equalizer does...and do i need it.

Also, I read some folks saying that they stayed with the el12 flasher and everything works fine...whereas on autolumination, they say that the el12 wont work with leds and they give their alternate p/n as a replacement @ $25 a piece.

So, in summary...someone please help, lol

Quick Reply: LED Switchback DRL Size for Trans Am