Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED Switchback DRL Size for Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Oh that's right, I forgot some of the 98-02's come with the DRL's. It may certainly be causing the problem. If I had a couple of hours with a DRL car I bet I could figure it out
What are you waiting on...bring it!

What I dont understand is, is the vette videos on youtube have drl and they work fine. I dont care for having white light in the housing when the headlights are on...would rather have it during the day, hence drl. Something with the parking/head light system is preventing the amber leds from getting power once they are turned on.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I've got it figured out. I replaced the hazard flasher last night with a h/d el12 equivalent. Today, the hazard flashes at the nomal rate, whereas the turns flash at a slightly faster (not quite hyper) rate.

Autolumination isn't very detailed as to describing what the load equalizer does, but I found a site that goes into depth...I think this may solve at least one of the issues.

http://www.customled.com/products/lo..._equalizer.htm

I may go ahead and order some...sucks that I'll have to wait another week to see if it'll work. I also need to figure out whether the blink wire is a or b, and also if the equalizer gets spliced in before or after the led protector. Any insight?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Figuring out the blinking wire (A or B) just use a test light and turn on your blinker. The load equalizer should not matter whether it comes before or after it is simply a load balancer for a circuit. My personal opinion on load balancers is to not use the item. I think they produce unnecessary heat and there should be a way to solve the problem with a better solution. I really wish I had a DRL LS1 car to figure this out for you
Old 08-21-2010, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned a lot from this thread in the first few pages, but I think around page 4 I got a little lost with the introduction of EL12, protectors & eq's...

Did we come up with a solution on whether there is a replacement LED that will do the following, *reliably*?

car: 2000 Trans Am.
Desired pattern:
Headlights off: Amber
Headlights on: White
Headlights on & Blinker on: Amber-OFF

and if so, linky?
Old 08-21-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike
I learned a lot from this thread in the first few pages, but I think around page 4 I got a little lost with the introduction of EL12, protectors & eq's...

Did we come up with a solution on whether there is a replacement LED that will do the following, *reliably*?

car: 2000 Trans Am.
Desired pattern:
Headlights on & Blinker on: Amber-OFF

Somewhere in there, once the actual lighting systems comes into play, Amber disappears. Almost as if it's not getting a signal....or not enough of one.

and if so, linky?
Headlights and blinker on: should be White - Amber

I wished the bulb was set up for
Headlights off: white (makes sense....right?)
Headlights on: Amber (^^^^^^^^^^^^^)
Headlights on & Blinker on: Amber - Off

My theory with the load equalizers are kind of based off of the following:
Parking lights on: Dimmed Amber (Arrow indicators dimly light up), ALSO, turnsignal flashes white/off then stays white once blinker is centered. Other side stays dimmed amber until I activate the blinker for that side, then the same.
Headlights on: White (Arrow indicators still dimly lit)
Headlights on & blinker on: White/Off
Old 08-21-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GSus
Headlights and blinker on: should be White - Amber
The reason I want a Amber-Off blinking pattern is because it is illegal to have a blinking blue-ish light while moving, at least in NJ. And cops in my town actually do stop you for it (been pulled over three times so far for blinking superwhite LEDs).
Old 08-21-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I only want the white as drls. Other than that, Amber for flashers and markers.

I haven't heard of anyone selling a set like that. The all amber bulbs from autolumination, from what I can tell, aren't 3157.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96silverram
Oh that's right, I forgot some of the 98-02's come with the DRL's. It may certainly be causing the problem. If I had a couple of hours with a DRL car I bet I could figure it out
I deleted my DRL's and my 60's still cooked never tried with 48's

Last edited by Danny2tek; 08-21-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, this isn't necessarily a problem. Last night I was driving around and when I turn the lights on both green arrows are lit dimly. They flash on and off when I turn the blinker on for that side but it will still stay lit after it is done blinking. Again, not really a problem but kind of annoying.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

are they LED's? (cluster)
Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No...factory incandescents.

I've been communicting with autolumination throughout the weekend. There's a lot of electrical mumbo-jumbo that I don't understand, but I have load equalizers enroute. Hopefully they'll help. I might end up swapping A and B around also to see if I can get the combo I want...which was also suggested by autolumination.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

I think this thread needs a clear answer on what they do (ie: drl, headlights on, and blinker on) and which ones work. It really shouldn't make any difference if they are 48 or 60 towers as long as they fit in the housing, which apparently they do. It also needs part number for the bulb itself, the flasher has been stated many times.

Here's what I want

DRL: White
Flasher on: Amber/White

It seems that I will need Autolumination (sp?) 60's in Amber/White with electronic flashers...

Please let me know and bash me if I'm missing something...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

From what I have gathered in this thread, do not get the 60s Lyrthropus. These are known to burn out within a few days. You want the 48 SMTs.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

This is how my 48 SMT towers have been working so far.

DRL lights off - Amber
Blinker lights off - Amber-Off
DRL lights on - White
Blinker lights on - White off

One has been working for 3 weeks, the other 2 weeks. This is with the protector on the negative(-) side.
The only part number I could find is when I added it to the cart, which is "SMT Tower 48Led". This is of course with the EL12 flasher from Advanced Auto Parts.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are your turn indicators lit up at night?

My load equalizers should be (hopefully) in tomorrow.
I got another email from autolumination, saying I may need to reverse the "on" and "blink" wires. That should reverse the colors.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Are your turn indicators lit up at night?

My load equalizers should be (hopefully) in tomorrow.
I got another email from autolumination, saying I may need to reverse the "on" and "blink" wires. That should reverse the colors.
Yes, when I turn my head lights on both turn signal indicators are dimly lit up. I also switched my socket out and now when my head lights are on. I'm going to have to check all of my butt connectors and make sure they are on the correct wires.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My equalizers came in yesterday evening. Will try to get then installed today and see if they help some.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright, car's in the air, inspection cover is off....doh!

A and B, which one is blink?
Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Eureka!

Load equalizers took care of the indicator lights. I swapped A and B (A is blink btw), now drls' are white, park and h/l's are yellow. Had to re-wire load equalizers... Passenger is A/ground, drivers side is B/ground.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Eureka!

Load equalizers took care of the indicator lights. I swapped A and B (A is blink btw), now drls' are white, park and h/l's are yellow. Had to re-wire load equalizers... Passenger is A/ground, drivers side is B/ground.
Can you tell me in what order and the color of the wires you have them wired. If you're looking at the socket where the bulb/switchback plugs into from left to right?

Quick Reply: LED Switchback DRL Size for Trans Am