Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED Switchback DRL Size for Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, which load equalizer did you get. And do you have a protector wired up? Sorry lots of questions.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darkreign2049
Can you tell me in what order and the color of the wires you have them wired. If you're looking at the socket where the bulb/switchback plugs into from left to right?
Looking at socket as it's plugged in, (a) blue blink, (b) brown drl/on, (g) black ground. That order from headlight to cabin.

I have the protectors spliced into the ground wires. (2) 6ohm equalizers, one on each side. Driver side is spliced between B/ground, passenger is A/ground. Ahead of those splices towards the sockets, I switch the A and B wires. That's how I have white drls' for the day, and amber when the lights are on.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also...they do not alternate between white and amber like the vette video shows. When the parking/headlights are on, amber flashes between bright/dim. During the day, white/off

I don't mind the questions, seems like we're learning about this at the same time. Maybe it'll help someone out later.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GSus
Looking at socket as it's plugged in, (a) blue blink, (b) brown drl/on, (g) black ground. That order from headlight to cabin.

I have the protectors spliced into the ground wires. (2) 6ohm equalizers, one on each side. Driver side is spliced between B/ground, passenger is A/ground. Ahead of those splices towards the sockets, I switch the A and B wires. That's how I have white drls' for the day, and amber when the lights are on.
Ok. Stupid question. Why do you have the load equalizers wired differently on each side. Is it because you only need one equalizer for those circuits and not one per circuit per side for a total of two per side. I'm not doubting you because obviously it is working, just trying to figure this out in my head. Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

I went to radioshack and bought some crimp on quick disconnects on wires A and B. It seems like I am always messing with these DRLs. That way I can switch around the A and B wires quickly without having to cut and splice all the time.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darkreign2049
Ok. Stupid question. Why do you have the load equalizers wired differently on each side. Is it because you only need one equalizer for those circuits and not one per circuit per side for a total of two per side. I'm not doubting you because obviously it is working, just trying to figure this out in my head. Thanks again.
I originally had both wired to the A. But, once I turned on the park lights, the drivers side would go dark. Rethinking everything, our headlights control different functions of the aspect of the drls'. So I figured there was too much "equalizing" on one circuit. So I took a shot and the dark and switched one, and it worked.

You might want to pick up some 18 gauge auto/marine wire. I went ahead and extended my wires some so encase I need to work on them again in the future, I'll have a little more wiggle room.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Cool. I ordered two load equalizers. They should be here by Wednesday hopefully. We will see if I have the same results as you.
Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Be careful after you hook up the equalizers, they get HOT. At least my drivers side does, passenger side stays cool to the touch.

I suspended mine in the air by zip tieing one of the leads to some wire loom. Keeps them from contacting any other wires or any of the plastic in the cavity.

I didn't remember which color combo you were going for...

But remember, if you just straight hook everything up, you're going to get:

drl on, e-brake off- amber
same above with flashers- amber flash
park/headlights on- white
^^^^^^^^^flashers- white flash

switch the a/b around (my way):
drl on, e-brake off- white
^^^^^^turn sigs- white flash
park/headlights on- dim amber (very visible, see my new pics on my 3000k hid thread)
^^^^^^^turn sigs- dim/bright amber flash

good luck, and any further questions, just ask.
Just don't ask for pics of my wiring, it's a mess, and I need to go back and clean it up lol.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:44 PM
12 Second Club

Well I got my load equalizers in today. Hopefully I will have some time to put them in tonight. Lets hope this makes them work correctly, or at least better.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well?

Can you post a vid of yours? i would've, except I don't know how to. Getting on this site is about all my of comp experience...lol
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NitoV
I should've been more specific about this yesterday. According to Autolumination the difference is fairly substantial: "The more expensive ones have our patented circuitry. They have a nice flash pattern, and they are better protected from voltage irregularities, which are the primary cause of led failures."
Sorry to Resurrect, but I'm dying to know if the LED protectors helped. I burned up a set already. I should probably throw in the towel, but I'm hoping the protectors would make a difference in lifespan and functionality.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by djatarax
Sorry to Resurrect, but I'm dying to know if the LED protectors helped. I burned up a set already. I should probably throw in the towel, but I'm hoping the protectors would make a difference in lifespan and functionality.
They didn't help, unfortunately. I blew another tower and decided to call it quits after that. The person that I was talking to did tell me that GM DRLs are hit and miss when it comes to LED conversion.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Has anybody had any luck getting switchbacks and sequential tail lights working together? I have tried different flashers with no luck. I had a set that I thought I toasted, but I popped them into a different car and they worked flawlessly. I am convinced it is the WebElectric Sequential kit (STS-3TA... I think) I am out of ideas. Seems to be load related. There is a visible fluctuation in power that seems to match the 1,2,3 of the turn signal sequence. When the turn signal is on with headlights up, the white diodes stay lit while the amber diodes pulse (instead of one full amber blink) three times with the sequencer. There is no full alternation between just white and just amber. Any ideas?
Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Sorry to resurrect but is there any convenient conversion to LEDS for these. Right now I am burning out normal Sylvania's about once a month due to moisture getting in the housing and I have tried everything. About to breakdown and buy new GM housings with new pigtail connectors and was wondering if I should just go LED.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by orthopod
Sorry to resurrect but is there any convenient conversion to LEDS for these. Right now I am burning out normal Sylvania's about once a month due to moisture getting in the housing and I have tried everything. About to breakdown and buy new GM housings with new pigtail connectors and was wondering if I should just go LED.
That's the only real fix. I did it and got some LEDs from superbrightleds, the housings from Rock Auto, some pigtails from a local pick-and-pull, and an electric flasher. It's been great ever since!
Old 11-11-2014, 09:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TechCam97
That's the only real fix. I did it and got some LEDs from superbrightleds, the housings from Rock Auto, some pigtails from a local pick-and-pull, and an electric flasher. It's been great ever since!
I installed new pigtails from advance auto parts yesterday (conduct title 85881). Going to get the LEDs and electric flashers next. Are the housings from rock auto gm parts or which are the best housings to get?
Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by orthopod
I installed new pigtails from advance auto parts yesterday (conduct title 85881). Going to get the LEDs and electric flashers next. Are the housings from rock auto gm parts or which are the best housings to get?
The Rock Auto housings are reproductions that are made by Depo and they look perfect!

Here's an old factory housing (cracked, faded, pitted, nasty) next to the Depo one from Rock Auto:

The housing by itself: (it's a little dirty with bug guts on one side. I need to wash it!)

With the LED DRL:

Both DRLs:

Everything lit up:
Old 12-04-2014, 05:27 PM
Staging Lane

Alot of information in this thread. I just installed the switch back bulbs and all LED's in my 02 WS6. All works great.
DRL's: Amber
DRL's & blinker: Amber - Off
Headlights : White
Headlights & blinker: White - Amber

I was wondering if I could change to function to always work as if the headlights were on. Would like the DRL's to also be White and blink Amber.

Quick Reply: LED Switchback DRL Size for Trans Am