Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

HOW TO: Trans Am DRL Switchbacks

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

skytower--do you still have standard incandescent bulbs in your tails? If so, I assume the new flasher modules work with those just fine?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you just leave regular bulbs out back for the turn signals?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:41 PM
TECH Resident

The ONLY led bulbs I have on the car are the switchbacks. All other bulbs are stock/incandescent.

The flashers are electromagnetic so they work with both LED and incandescent bulbs.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

UPDATE:
My driver side switchback started acting up yesterday as I was leaving work. The white portion wasn't activating with the headlights on and the amber wasn't flashing with the headlights off. On the drive home, my gauge cluster fuse blew and the turn signals/drls were acting all kinds of weird. I'm pretty sure the driver side switchback is causing the problems. I have emailed autolumination to send replacements. I have not received a response yet but I'll be sure to keep everyone updated when I hear back from them.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:43 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by contraststriker
skytower--do you still have standard incandescent bulbs in your tails? If so, I assume the new flasher modules work with those just fine?
It should...the flashers referenced are just electromechanical versions of the stock flashers (which are thermal)...it just simply breaks the connection at regular time intervals to create the flashing effect.

My question was more from the standpoint of me trying to do this with LEDs front and rear - with the electromechanical flashers, I had problems with the turn signals with the DRLs on - only the back would flash, and the front would stay steady (even though the indicator said that they were blinking). The only fix I could find was to go to a solid state flasher, but then it didn't click, so you had no audible signal that your turn signals were working.

I'd be curious to know the bulb life with the LEDs acting as DRLs...I know every manufacturer I went to said they would not warranty the LEDs in a GM DRL application. I just gave up and went with regular bulbs
Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I'd be curious to know the bulb life with the LEDs acting as DRLs...I know every manufacturer I went to said they would not warranty the LEDs in a GM DRL application. I just gave up and went with regular bulbs
Brian @ BLSolutions has been running autoluminations switchbacks for years in his LT1 without any problems.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skytower31
UPDATE:
My driver side switchback started acting up yesterday as I was leaving work. The white portion wasn't activating with the headlights on and the amber wasn't flashing with the headlights off. On the drive home, my gauge cluster fuse blew and the turn signals/drls were acting all kinds of weird. I'm pretty sure the driver side switchback is causing the problems. I have emailed autolumination to send replacements. I have not received a response yet but I'll be sure to keep everyone updated when I hear back from them.
TECH Addict

Did you just leave regular bulbs out back for the turn signals?
when did you get 'modded'?

Congrats
TECH Regular

UPDATE:
Hmmm...*****...I already ordered a set. Well I hope it's a good set
Old 03-16-2010, 04:20 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Brian @ BLSolutions has been running autoluminations switchbacks for years in his LT1 without any problems.
Do the LT1s use the turn signals as DRLs? I can't remember...either way, from the reading I did, the circuit GM uses for these apparently is known to be very hard on even regular (incandescent bulbs), and is why LED people won't warranty them in this application (at least not any of the ones I ordered in the past).
Old 03-16-2010, 04:40 PM
TECH Resident

Can we get pics when problems fix?
Old 03-16-2010, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 383camaroz28
Can we get pics when problems fix?
My video was from Sunday when everything was functioning correctly.

I will be taking more pics/videos once I get my fog lights sorted out and my BLSolutions HID kit installed.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

I wanna see howd it look with hids , u get super whites right?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It should...the flashers referenced are just electromechanical versions of the stock flashers (which are thermal)...it just simply breaks the connection at regular time intervals to create the flashing effect.

My question was more from the standpoint of me trying to do this with LEDs front and rear - with the electromechanical flashers, I had problems with the turn signals with the DRLs on - only the back would flash, and the front would stay steady (even though the indicator said that they were blinking). The only fix I could find was to go to a solid state flasher, but then it didn't click, so you had no audible signal that your turn signals were working.

I have all LED's now except the swichbacks. I just ordered about 4 days ago so they haven't arrived yet. I will let you guys know if they work with LED's in back too. Hope that helps. I'll post up when I get it done.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is because many current GM cars use a PWM signal for the DRLs, making the "effective" voltage lower (so they aren't full brightness) but it is a rapid pulsing which is hard on the bulbs (hard on the standard bulbs too, they blow more often). Our cars however don't have any PWM signals for the DRLs, it is just full steady voltage so there should be no problem using LEDs.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 383camaroz28
I wanna see howd it look with hids , u get super whites right?
I ordered the BLSolutions 5000k 55w HID projector kit.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 PM
FormerVendor

UPDATE:
Ouch! They are good about backing up their product so I would bet they will get you replacements. I had issues with a couple of their units which was minor compared to how many of their LEDs I have in my car that have worked flawlessly. Tracy is a good person to deal with over there.

Do the LT1s use the turn signals as DRLs? I can't remember...either way, from the reading I did, the circuit GM uses for these apparently is known to be very hard on even regular (incandescent bulbs), and is why LED people won't warranty them in this application (at least not any of the ones I ordered in the past).
The turn signals in my LT1 are also DRLs. I have the original 20 LED switchbacks which use a 5mm LED and are different than the newer SMT LEDs they use for the bigger towers. Maybe the SMTs are more volatile to voltage change than the older units.

I will pop my news ones in maybe this weekend and do some testing.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
This is because many current GM cars use a PWM signal for the DRLs, making the "effective" voltage lower (so they aren't full brightness) but it is a rapid pulsing which is hard on the bulbs (hard on the standard bulbs too, they blow more often). Our cars however don't have any PWM signals for the DRLs, it is just full steady voltage so there should be no problem using LEDs.
Okay...that's what it was. I never could figure out if our cars used that same PWM scheme. I guess now I know.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Do they light up white when only the parking lamp (middle) and fog lights are engaged?
Old 03-16-2010, 10:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by contraststriker
Hmmm...*****...I already ordered a set. Well I hope it's a good set
doh! I new I should have waited

Quick Reply: HOW TO: Trans Am DRL Switchbacks