Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Suede Interior Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow Looks awesome jam, My pal Glocklimited9 did the same treatment to his interior but you beat him to the punch with the pics! Good luck with the rest of it!
Old 03-26-2010, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks, but I'm redoing those boots and the center console cover in ultrasuede.. =[
Old 03-26-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Gimme a day or so I will get you pics of what the stock visors look like taken apart . Unlike a few , this is a stupid easy design . If your machine can sew thru posterboard type paper you can make the seam on it . Explain more later when I have more time . FYI , your gonna wanna the same foam backed material you use for the headliner .
Old 03-26-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah bro, I'm gonna head home tomorrow to see the sample that was sent over to me and then i'll order the ultrasuede (foam backed) material for the headliner and visors. I got my work cutout for me, that's for sure, probably will get back to work on this in the next upcoming weekend. It definitely sucks having a "project thread" and not getting any work done; I have been learning a lot though and I'm sure with the knowledge I've gained from you guys I will be avoiding potential problems. If I did it on my own I probably would have used aerosol glue on my headliner and continued using this cheap *** microsuede. But, I'll have my ultrasuede in this week from that guy on evom, so I'll do the boots and console cover over, the kick panels, the glove box, and underneath the steering column. You guys think white threads would be overkill and I should stick w/ black? or should I go w/ a silver thread?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey how are you gonna do your console??

viking did a gorgeous job, but i have people in back enough that i wanna keep cupholders. Were you planning on taking the sawsall to them or stitching around the prollemb?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not going to wrap the lower console ... eventually i'm going to do a cupholder/ashtray delete.... and I am going to sawzall the back cupholders and fiberglass that smooth....then I'm going to send out the entire thing to be hydrodipped CF
Old 03-27-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

If u want a light thread , do silver . White will stick out in a bad way . As always though ...jmo .
Old 03-28-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah i keep my sidemarkers in my bedstand too
Old 03-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must be getting old because my first thoughts were get rid of your faux hawk and clean your room...

seriously though...do it
Old 03-28-2010, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

^^ I get bitches w/ this hawk, so I could care less about your opinion... and I may be drunk, but really dude....that's all you have to say? ... in that case get the "faux" out my thread

Last edited by Trans Am Jam; 03-28-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Suede looks good Jam. I'm not big on the fingerprint showing look of the ultrasuede but overall it will look good either way. I would maybe recommend doing some textured leather wrapping on the exposed plastic interior pieces. This would def. kick the interior up a notch for sure but I see you have already mentioned you want to do some custom fiberglass work and such.

That center console is asking to be slightly marred due to simple general use and a painted surface, while looking cool, may look like crap just a little bit down the road. Leather or something else would be much more durable and userfriendly.

Looking forward to the completed pics.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everything looks good man. cant wait to see the ultrasuade. i may have to look into this for my interior as well.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
Suede looks good Jam. I'm not big on the fingerprint showing look of the ultrasuede but overall it will look good either way. I would maybe recommend doing some textured leather wrapping on the exposed plastic interior pieces. This would def. kick the interior up a notch for sure but I see you have already mentioned you want to do some custom fiberglass work and such.

That center console is asking to be slightly marred due to simple general use and a painted surface, while looking cool, may look like crap just a little bit down the road. Leather or something else would be much more durable and userfriendly.

Looking forward to the completed pics.
When is the lower console ever touched by an object, besides the seatbelt? what do you suggest? to wrap the upper console in suede after I do the cupholder/ashtray delete? And yeah I hear you about the fingerprints...how it can be weird to have it show on objects like the console lid and panels, but alcantara wouldn't be any different, if anything it would be worse because it's more compact and plush. Now, I'm most likely going to wrap the door panels in soft vinyl, but besides that I'm not sure where else I can use it. I'm trying to stay away from wrapping the passenger air bag cover so I can't do the dash. .....maybe I'll do the instrument cluster. Just let me know what you think I should do.

EDIT: I will be doing the shifter/ebrake boots, console lid cover, glove box, and d/s knee bolster...so if anyone has any good advise on what would look best or any designs you think I should incorporate let me know!

Last edited by Trans Am Jam; 03-28-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmmm.... doing the armrest/upper dash/shift cover in suede would look pretty cool, but i wonder if that would be too much. probably would wanna cut out the cupholders and stitch around the seam if you did that (faux cf lower, faux suede upper, faux ws6 hood... im seeing a theme jam)

no but really, thatd be pretty cool. Have you seen the 'fingerability' of the roof liner material?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

nah I haven't ordered the headliner material yet.. I'll order it after I do this stuff first.. this is going to be at least a solid 10-12 hours of work.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

As far as how much to use , check out some newer aftermarket Audi's or a new porshe gt3 . Alot strike a pretty perfect balance . Only items I would add is the steering wheel rim and I would remove the platic trim from the t-tops and cover it to flow with the headliner , other than man , I would call it a day . If u start doing other random things its gonna look like you started a project to wrap the entire interior in suede then stopped 1/2 way thru ...if ya get what Im sayin . You could though , also take a tip from the newer cars( basically the whole top is covered in headliner material) and wrap the a-pillar trims with the headliner material as well . I took that route on my mine , didnt use suede though , its the new woven knit style , but the concept still applies .

Pics of a few things I have wrapped so far to give idea what they look like not plastic . They look ALOT better .

Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Banned

how breathable is the ultrasuede and microsuede? i have a project i've been thinking about, but i need a breathable material for it to work.
Old 03-28-2010, 02:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT4Vert..got anymore pictures??
Old 04-02-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Subscribing. I'm actually in the process of doing something similar, although, instead of using suede I opted for microfiber. I got my material by ordering a backpanel from a furniture store. High durability and at least some presence of uv inhibitors. Can't wait to see yours done.

Quick Reply: Suede Interior Project