Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What do you guys think is the best headlight restorer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What do you guys think is the best headlight restorer?

I just bought some used whistler modded lights and they are a bit foggy so i want to clean them up. I got a package of that CV(Crystal View) Headlight Restorer/Defogger from walmart for 20 bucks.

I looked up reviews and people say it works really good. Have you guys ever used this on your F-body lights? The only thing i hate about cleaning the lights are the stupid nipples on em get in the way and everytime my finger hits against em it kinda hurts and gets annoying lol. I also heard that the meguirs(idk if thats how u spell it) restore kit works good aswell. They also say toothpaste works but i tried it on my V6 a few years ago and they came out crappy...i also tried another kit at autozone and made em worse.

So that being said what do you guys think or what is your favorite headlight restorer kit/polish to use on your lights?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've heard some good things about Meguiar's.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

So have I, thier products are really good but as far as something for headlight restoring...is that kit worth it? A few months ago a friend took a buffer and some polish not sure what kind it was but he ran the buffer on my lights and they looked way better. I saw a few videos of crystal view's product and it looks like it works aswell as meguiars.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My passenger side headlight looked a little cloudy when I bought the car. Wetsanding, and polish with some plastic scratch-x stuff, then any basic polish. I used a cheap orbital buffer when I polished and it turned out pretty nice.

Before...

After...

I did a half *** job on the wetsanding, there are spots by those damn nipples that still need attention, but it still turned out pretty nice. I don't remember the exact process but I think it was wetsand 400 grit, wetsand 1000 grit, wetsand 2000 grit, then I used the plastic polish or scratch-x or whatever it was called (they have it at most stores) with a buffer, then finished it off with car polish.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SKZ28
My passenger side headlight looked a little cloudy when I bought the car. Wetsanding, and polish with some plastic scratch-x stuff, then any basic polish. I used a cheap orbital buffer when I polished and it turned out pretty nice.

Before...

After...

I did a half *** job on the wetsanding, there are spots by those damn nipples that still need attention, but it still turned out pretty nice. I don't remember the exact process but I think it was wetsand 400 grit, wetsand 1000 grit, wetsand 2000 grit, then I used the plastic polish or scratch-x or whatever it was called (they have it at most stores) with a buffer, then finished it off with car polish.
I got some of that platic X scratch remover layin around somewhere i bought to remove a scratch off my truck and it didnt really work well...but i will have to try it with my headlights. Your results are impressive man, Your before light looks just like mine...and your after result is what im after lol
Old 04-01-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I'm pretty sure that's the stuff I used. Hopefully if you try a similar wetsanding process you'll get the same results
Old 04-01-2010, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a fan or the 3M kit you can purchase at most AZ's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Regular

I used CV for my headlights, and they came out great. I followed the instruction but added about an hour on each headlight to make sure I got it perfect.
after sanded

after polished
Old 04-01-2010, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

i took the expensive route, and said F*%K the fix-it kits and restoration stuff! hopped on ebay and bought the cheapest set of halo's (like $130). got em home, threw them in the oven and pulled the new lens off. then used that lens with my headlights that had already been painted.

with all your work, you may get them looking like new, mine are new

Old 04-01-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pir7tr
I also used this a year later for a touch up
Old 04-02-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pir7tr

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t1RBw0IGXA
Hmm that looks like a good kit also.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Taken4granted
I used CV for my headlights, and they came out great. I followed the instruction but added about an hour on each headlight to make sure I got it perfect.
after sanded

after polished
Damn those look brand new. I might have to try out the kit tomorrow...I would be happy if my lights came out like that and yep i heard the more you spend sanding the better they come out, well at least thats what the CV guy says on the how to video.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
i took the expensive route, and said F*%K the fix-it kits and restoration stuff! hopped on ebay and bought the cheapest set of halo's (like $130). got em home, threw them in the oven and pulled the new lens off. then used that lens with my headlights that had already been painted.

with all your work, you may get them looking like new, mine are new

Damn you must have money to throw around! lol jk man but why would you buy a new set of lights just for the lenses? Hmm thats like me wanting some ZR-1 wheels,buying a cheap *** f body with brand new wheels takin the wheels and throwin out the car!! lol What did you do with the Halos??
Old 04-02-2010, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

i did a few sets before, wetsanded 400 up to 2000 (one set was completely yellow, started at 200), then hit it up with some Novus plastic polish #2 & #3. They came out flawless, if i put good effort in the sanding
Old 04-02-2010, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Damn you must have money to throw around! lol jk man but why would you buy a new set of lights just for the lenses? Hmm thats like me wanting some ZR-1 wheels,buying a cheap *** f body with brand new wheels takin the wheels and throwin out the car!! lol What did you do with the Halos??
haha, naw i don't just have money to throw around. But, with getting the car ready for sale, i figured i'd get it looking the best it could. i did "try" to restore my other lights, they came out looking better, but still looked like *** compared to the new set. i did install the halo's just to see if i wanted them more than whistlered lights... realized i didnt, so i pulled them apart.

i dont really look at it as spending all that money just for the lenses, i just see it as a new set of lights, because essentially, that's what i got. the new halo's/housings are just sitting in my garage now.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

I used the Novus spa polish and a small buffer/drill. Works real good.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camaro981289
Damn those look brand new. I might have to try out the kit tomorrow...I would be happy if my lights came out like that and yep i heard the more you spend sanding the better they come out, well at least thats what the CV guy says on the how to video.

Trust me I spent hours wetsanding these lights the first time by hand using the CV kit. I was happy with the results. As you see in the photos. When I did the whisler mod last year I used the 3M kit and did it with the entire lens off the housing.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:54 PM
12 Second Club

ill just wet with 800-1000-1500 then 2k then use a yellow 4in pad on my porter cable and give it a good buff with some megs plastic cleaner.
eather use that plastix stuff or the have a meg's mirror glaze 2 part cleaner polish that i seen a o'rilleys

Quick Reply: What do you guys think is the best headlight restorer?