Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Wiring LT1 Tails to LS1 Body?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring LT1 Tails to LS1 Body?

Sup guys, I finally have got around to doing the berger panel mod to my car. Blacked out lights and black fill ins on my red camaro got old real quick after seeing the berger panel. I will be going gloss black with the panel with red fill-ins, and have found some LT1 tails to replace my blacked out LS1 ones.

I have heard around before there is a wiring harness or something you need to make the LT1's work on a LS1 car. Is this true? And if so, is it an aftermarket wiring kit, or just the wiring from the car that the LT1's came off of?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to easy to do!!! I just piggbacked the wire from the brake light into the empty socket in the ls1 tail light harness. So the entire rear light is illuminated. Pull out the little stopper and put the wire in. I did not have to modify the LT1 tail lights at all to get the stock harness to fit like some people have suggested in the past.
If you look in the LS1- LT1 taillight thread there should be some more info.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Ok, I will be sure to look there, because electronics and wiring is not my cup of tea on cars.

EDIT: I checked the appearance sticky and the LS1 vs LT1 lights thread isn't available anymore. Is there anyone that has done this before and could explain what to do in layman's terms, or is there a write up out there?
Old 04-13-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Your just gonna waste money if you get an LT1 wiring harness. Your just going to cut and splice into your wiring in the end.

I was thinking of doing this same exact thing, until someone told me i was going to have to cut and splice into the wiring. I was like "**** that" lol, im not doing that. So i thought about it for awhile, then realized. Well i have a dremel tool and its just plastic. So ill just modify the openings for the harness to slip right in. Just place the ls1 harness into the lt1 tails and see which hole you have to modify in order for the harness to go in fully and twist and lock itself.

For myself, they are in there tight. Modified it enough to get the harness in and twist it to the locking position without being loose or anything.

I hope you kind of understand what im saying, its a simple process and your not cutting and splicing wires.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:40 PM
Launching!

So I won't need to buy a kit or anything? Just work with what I got, and it will turn out fine?

EDIT: And i sorta get what your saying except for the cutting plastic when you said you would just cut wires and splice. Do you have to cut the back of the actual light for the harness to fit? I'm a little confused, sorry. I'm tryin to follow.

Last edited by 00RedMaro; 04-13-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Staging Lane

I did the same thing as smg267. Except I dremeled out empty portion next to the reverse light and put my reverse light there. Also, I moved my turn signal to the old reverse light spot. i love it! All my red lights light up when I brake, but my turns are still yellow, looks real mean with the all the red lens vht'd .
Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Your just gonna waste money if you get an LT1 wiring harness. Your just going to cut and splice into your wiring in the end.

I was thinking of doing this same exact thing, until someone told me i was going to have to cut and splice into the wiring. I was like "**** that" lol, im not doing that. So i thought about it for awhile, then realized. Well i have a dremel tool and its just plastic. So ill just modify the openings for the harness to slip right in. Just place the ls1 harness into the lt1 tails and see which hole you have to modify in order for the harness to go in fully and twist and lock itself.

For myself, they are in there tight. Modified it enough to get the harness in and twist it to the locking position without being loose or anything.

I hope you kind of understand what im saying, its a simple process and your not cutting and splicing wires.

This is what i did, simple and easy to do. I trimmed parts of the ls1 sockets to fit into the lt1 holes and it worked.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:02 PM
Launching!

^^^I did that about a year ago. It's easy to do and only had to tap into the brake light harness to add another one so the entire section lights up bright red. It all can be done with a dremel if you only want the LT1 taillights on the car, if not just a little simple wiring is all. It only took me about an hour to rewire and dremel for the mod in the link below.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...light-mod.html
Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00RedMaro
So I won't need to buy a kit or anything? Just work with what I got, and it will turn out fine?

EDIT: And i sorta get what your saying except for the cutting plastic when you said you would just cut wires and splice. Do you have to cut the back of the actual light for the harness to fit? I'm a little confused, sorry. I'm tryin to follow.
No, you dont need to buy anything. With the Lt1 harness, all your basically doing is cutting off the ls1 harness and replacing it with the lt1 harness. Which now, you have cut wires back there when you dont even need to do that.

On the back of the taillights, you have them openings for the harness to go in. In those openings, you have 3 little slots that will only allow you to put the harness in there correctly. 1 of those slots will need some modification in order for the ls1 harness to go right in and be able to turn and lock it in there like it would on the ls1 tails. Just try and put your ls1 harness into the lt1 tails. You will see that 1 wont go in, when your trying to lock it in there. That slot is what you will modify just a bit, enough for the harness to go in there like it does on the stock ls1 tails. So you can then turn and lock it in place. Hope you understand me a little more now lol
Old 04-14-2010, 12:05 PM
Launching!

I should be picking up the lights within a week. I will try and follow what you guys have said. I sorta get what you're saying. But of course, if anyone has anymore to add please do so. Thanks guys.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 AM
12 Second Club

is this the same for the 97 Camaro's?? I know we have the tri-colored taillights like the LS1's, but do we have to do the same mods to the harness??
Old 04-25-2010, 03:20 AM
Launching!

I got it finished right when I got the lights, once you take a look at them you know exactly what needs to be done. I thought using a metal file was very easy.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
is this the same for the 97 Camaro's?? I know we have the tri-colored taillights like the LS1's, but do we have to do the same mods to the harness??
I believe you do because if you had the 93-96 harness with the 97+ tail lights you would have your amber lights on all the time with your running lights.