Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need your opinion.... VHT or No VHT

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your opinion.... VHT or No VHT

So I did the berger panel last week and it turned out awesome for a rattle can job. Now I am wondering if i should go ahead and vht my tail lights? I posted a pic so tell me what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Need your opinion.... VHT or No VHT-rearview.jpg  
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think one very light coat would look nice.. Something that just tones down the red and yellow a little.. Keep the reverse clear.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

do it up man!!
Old 04-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Launching!

nice berger panel, how many coats of clear did you use?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

yea go ahead and vht them.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

I like the lightly tinted look.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

this might help you, not the greatest chops but at least you get an idea!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

like the last 1 the best
Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

I think on a red car you should do them all red like crimson birds Camaro
Old 04-23-2010, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
I think on a red car you should do them all red like crimson birds Camaro
+1, that would look sweet

How do you go about doing that? I've thought about doing it but I haven't even looked into it yet, anyone have a write-up?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

I believe it is transparent red spray paint and then cleared. The paint is used to make stuff look anodized
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
I believe it is transparent red spray paint and then cleared. The paint is used to make stuff look anodized
Yes, its a transparent paint, but its not used to make stuff look anodized. The stuff 6LE, and I believe Crimson used was made by Pactra for lexan R/C car bodies. Its a very hot paint (on lexan it sort of etches itself into it so it won't flake when the body bends). Its just a candy red that on R/C bodies would be backed with something like silver (usually) or gold/white/etc. The problem is the clear you have to use. Some use a standard automotive clear, which will cause problems with the lexan paint. On the R/C bodies though, you spray it on the inside so no need for clear. I believe Pactra also makes a clear that is safe to use with it.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SKZ28
+1, that would look sweet

How do you go about doing that? I've thought about doing it but I haven't even looked into it yet, anyone have a write-up?
black sheep was right about the paint. -look up Sommer, his red SS has the berger and red outs, definitely a very good look.

i actually did a set of lights to give a another member an idea of what to do with the taillights of his car (red with berger mod) i'll see if i hve any pics of them.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

I've seen red and blue transparent spray paint before at oriellys that is used to make metal look anodized, I still have some of the blue, I'd say it would work the same without any clear problems
Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by squee
Yes, its a transparent paint, but its not used to make stuff look anodized. The stuff 6LE, and I believe Crimson used was made by Pactra for lexan R/C car bodies. Its a very hot paint (on lexan it sort of etches itself into it so it won't flake when the body bends). Its just a candy red that on R/C bodies would be backed with something like silver (usually) or gold/white/etc. The problem is the clear you have to use. Some use a standard automotive clear, which will cause problems with the lexan paint. On the R/C bodies though, you spray it on the inside so no need for clear. I believe Pactra also makes a clear that is safe to use with it.
the paint that i used, and Sommer/Mark (6LE) used as well, is 'Tamiya USA' brand translucent spray paint. i got the trick from their 6LE forum like a year ago.

nothing special about its use, just used it like any other spray. i don't think Sommer used a clear coat. i did use dpli-colors auto clear coat, and that worked fine. looks great. like you said, it is big with RC cars, and other hobbies, which is why you'll pretty much only find the stuff at hobby shops.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
the paint that i used, and Sommer/Mark (6LE) used as well, is 'Tamiya USA' brand translucent spray paint. i got the trick from their 6LE forum like a year ago.

nothing special about its use, just used it like any other spray. i don't think Sommer used a clear coat. i did use dpli-colors auto clear coat, and that worked fine. looks great. like you said, it is big with RC cars, and other hobbies, which is why you'll pretty much only find the stuff at hobby shops.
Oh, ok, I didn't know you used the Tamiya paint, but yes, there is something special about the use. Its intended for and made by a R/C company. I don't remember where I saw it, but someone had a very bad reaction with the clear they used on either the Tamiya or Pactra paint. Perhaps they used a lacquer clear instead of a enamel and thats why they had problems, not sure to be honest, but if your not careful, you can have problems with it.

As for the anodized paint, that would probably work as well, but how well, I don't know. I've sprayed countless R/C bodies with Pactra paint and never had any problems, and I know it works well for taillights, but I'd hate to be the one to find out how the anodized paint works on them.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its all in what you want i guess i had em done to my tails and i got tired of being harrassed by police because even at night time they said you couldnt see my tail lights until i hit the break lights and i only had three coats on there so i took all of it off and after the fact i prefer the stock tail ligh look a lot better for my car so i say do it if you know you want get messed with by the police or dont do it other wise

Quick Reply: Need your opinion.... VHT or No VHT