Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Does anything get the cig smoke smell out...or at least reduce it???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the o-zone machine does work wonders. i work with a detail shop and they use it all the time.. they had some really nasty smelling cars that they would make smell new just by shampooing the carpet and using the o-zone machine.. thats what id do is shampoo and o-zone it.. i bet ya that would work
Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if they sell it at stores or not, but one of my suppliers at work sells an ozone treatment in a can. We sell it to customers for $29. It is like a fog bomb for bugs. Turn the a/c on recirculate, pull the tab, close the doors, and let it go for about 15 minutes. Works wonders.

To me though it sounds like your best option is to pull the panels and carpet and do a thorough cleaning.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work at a dealer and we paid to have o-zone crap done on a explorer and paid $100 and the smell came back after a week. cust did not buy that explorer.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:13 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Another inexpensive option is arm and hammer baking soda. I would lay a heavy amount on all flat surfaces for a little while and let it absorb the odor then vacuum.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I would say at least 70% of the smell is in the headliner. Find a detail shop that uses a tornador. I have done MANY cars and the 50/50 removal is awesome. Top it off with a ozone machine and your done.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by naperws6
I work at a dealer and we paid to have o-zone crap done on a explorer and paid $100 and the smell came back after a week. cust did not buy that explorer.
Then you guys got took. The smell should never come back after o-zone treatments if done properly & the carpet is cleaned.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

Depending on cost of the OZone treatment, I would just try the shampooing and leaving the windows down treatment to help it air out.

Lysol might help also.

I left my window down and got flooded one night. My car smelled BAD.. like mold for weeks. No matter how much of the water I sucked up with towels. No matter how much Lysol or Febreeze I used nothing seemed to cure the problem. I shampooed the carpets and seats and left the windows down for a few days for it to dry and air out. seemed to cure the problem right up
Old 05-16-2010, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

Some pretty good solutions so far.

If it were my vehicle, I would:

-thoroughly clean every plastic and leather surface in the car first with all-purpose cleaner and then with a steamer
-shampoo and extract all carpets/cloth with a professional extractor
-ozone generator

Might even be easier to replace the carpet/padding than spend lots of time and money cleaning.

Even after that, you're likely to get some traces of smoke smell from time to time.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:36 PM
11 Second Club

take the seats out and console out clean them then clean the carpet. Let sit with windows and top off.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the dryer sheets under the seats, just replace them every couple days. Did this for my ex's car and the smoke smell disappeared...that is until she started smoking again.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

vinegar and baking soda. Then leave coffee ground in a can in the car all night. It WORKS!!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
as soon as i saw the thread title i came in with the mindset of saying that. i tried it out and it works wonders. completely absorbs any odors in the air. and if you already have coffee, its essentially free to try it out.

do that, and then if it doesn't clear up move on to something else.

edit* here's that thread. more options in there: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...oke-smell.html
The coffee thing WORKS . I use used coffee grounds in a can in my garage so my garage doesnt smell like an ashtray . I dont know why it works , but it does . I thought my Gma was crazy when she told me this
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

When i read this title, I thought NO WAY you're smoking in that beauty! I was relieved to hear it's a different car!

This brings me to attention that I really need to shampoo my carpet
Old 05-17-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by projectX
vinegar and baking soda. Then leave coffee ground in a can in the car all night. It WORKS!!
I've been using this to get rid of smoke smell in carpet in a house. (Altough I have not tried coffee.)

The smell is mostly gone after several treatments of baking soda and leaving white vinegar in several open pans.

The smell still comes back every once in a while though.

It's not bad at this point... but I am probally going to throw out the carpet in the near future.

Quick Reply: Does anything get the cig smoke smell out...or at least reduce it???