Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Does anything get the cig smoke smell out...or at least reduce it???

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Does anything get the cig smoke smell out...or at least reduce it???

We have a chance to get a pretty nice 98 WS6 soon, but it smells VERY strong of smoke inside. I mean STROOOOONG!!! Is there anything that can be done to get that smell out or at least reduce it short of replacing the seats, carpet and headliner (and it will still be in the dash and AC.) The bad thing is the interior is in such good shape I hate to replace it all just because of the smell...but then again I can not drive it like it is.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2000 V6 smelled like smoke when I got it. Mine came with t-tops and I would take the t-tops off in Summer on a nice sunny day and let it sit in the sun. I did it enough where the smell was suppressed enough that I didn't notice it anymore. If you don't want to replace it. try shampooing the carpet and what you can. Hopefully some of this helps.

By the way, the smoke in my V6 wasn't intense but you could notice it was there.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00FlowCamaro
My 2000 V6 smelled like smoke when I got it. Mine came with t-tops and I would take the t-tops off in Summer on a nice sunny day and let it sit in the sun. I did it enough where the smell was suppressed enough that I didn't notice it anymore. If you don't want to replace it. try shampooing the carpet and what you can. Hopefully some of this helps.

By the way, the smoke in my V6 wasn't intense but you could notice it was there.
Thanks but I dont think that would help much in this one...you can actually smell it outside the car with the windows up!
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, call a local carpet cleaning company & ask them if they can o-zone your car for you. This is what they do in homes after fire damage to get the smoke smell out. My wifes brother owns a restoration company & has done this for a few peoples vechicles.
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sister bought a Sebring that was the same way. What we did was leave the top down since it was a convertible and cleaned every plastic piece wery well, Shampoo the carpet and seats, sprayed Febreze in every area in the dash that we could, and then since I work at Sears I did the AC vent cleaning service they offer now. Basically it just runs a cleaner through the AC vent to deodorize and clean them. Now you can't even tell it was a smoker's car.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

I remember reading a while back that leaving an open can of coffee in the back seats for a few days would get the smell out. You could try that.

If that doesn't work, try what BIG MIKE2005 said.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Go to McDonalds, get a large order of fries, leave in car overnight. Worked good for my stepsister who was trying to hide the fact that she was smoking.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

I wouldnt turn down a car because of that, may take a while but you could get it out. Car looks great btw
Old 05-12-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

put several dryer sheets under the seats and around the car, ive done it and it helped alot. also turn the a/c on and spray fabreeze in the cowl where it sucks the air in.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
Yes, call a local carpet cleaning company & ask them if they can o-zone your car for you. This is what they do in homes after fire damage to get the smoke smell out. My wifes brother owns a restoration company & has done this for a few peoples vechicles.
Do this. After they do this you won't be able to tell anyone ever smoked in it.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PERFECT Z28
I remember reading a while back that leaving an open can of coffee in the back seats for a few days would get the smell out. You could try that.

If that doesn't work, try what BIG MIKE2005 said.
as soon as i saw the thread title i came in with the mindset of saying that. i tried it out and it works wonders. completely absorbs any odors in the air. and if you already have coffee, its essentially free to try it out.

do that, and then if it doesn't clear up move on to something else.

edit* here's that thread. more options in there: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...oke-smell.html
Old 05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Staging Lane

I have heard of people cutting an apple in half, and putting it in the car cut side up(on the floor)? Idk if tis works but it is worth a try.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Launching!

I made the mistake of buying a 94Z28 that had been smoked in. It was something I said I'd never do. Well, I tried ozium spray and almost everything else but later found out that the only reason I couldn't get rid of the smell was that the ashes had built up under the console. I think the only way to get it truly out of the car is to pull the interior and have it all either cleaned or replaced. Even when I thought I had it all out, a hot day would come along and I'd smell it again.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the suggestions...like I said this one is BAD. It smells bad enough you almost expect smoke to come out of the seat like dust if you hit it. I am thinking the O-Zone stuff or something along those lines will be required because its severe...but the car itself is very nice and we should be able to get it right (and that is the only way we will get it) so its worth the effort to get or at least try to get the smell out. I am sure it will never be all the way gone.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

If all else fails, just start smoking so you'll get used to that awful smell!

LOL
Old 05-12-2010, 02:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
but the car itself is very nice and we should be able to get it right (and that is the only way we will get it)
whats this... a new project?? do tell!
Old 05-12-2010, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Take out all the vents and clean inside there, let the car sit in the sun with the windows down for a few days, remove the driver's door panel and vacuum all the ash that will be in there. All stuff I did for my car when I first got it, now it just smells like leather
Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, the O-zone cleaning I'm talkin about is only done professionally. Not a can of stuff you spray. They put a actual O-zone simulator machine in your car with the windows rolled up & your vents on high with the setting on re-circulate so it pulls air from inside the cabin not exterior. That way its sucking the O-zone thru the entire ventalition system.

Honestly if its as bad as you say I wouldn't waste my time or money doin any other type of treatments. Go straight to professional grade cleaning. We all know how **** you are about your cars, so I'd just call a couple local reputable carpet cleaning companies & see what they will do for you. If none of them will then call a disaster restoration company.

I just use my wifes brother for our cars if they get weird odors but he does both, carpet cleaning & restoration.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:09 AM
12 Second Club

Some used car lots have ozonator's as well.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought an o-zone blaster a couple years ago. $200 if u want to buy it.

Quick Reply: Does anything get the cig smoke smell out...or at least reduce it???