Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help in fitting a 99 SS hood on a 99 v-6 camaro

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help in fitting a 99 SS hood on a 99 v-6 camaro

Hey guy's, I have a 99 SS clone V-6 car that had a VFN glass hood on it. It was damaged beyond repair and a buddy of mine has a true OEM SS hood he is willing to sell me for $200 Now for the hard part (I think). Has anyone ever done this before and if so how do you reconcile the difference in airbox placement between the LS1 car and the V-6's? In otherwords, what must I do step by step if possible to get my non-LS1 airbox placement to "line-up" with the SS hood? It seems that the V-6 assembly is shifted to the left a couple inches off-center as opposed to my LS1 car. I may be answering my own question here...but do I need to replace the "whole assembly" that attaches to the top of my radiator area that houses my air-filter and "off-center" lid? I am asking because I am hoping that I don't have to try and find a whole assembly suck as that as it may not be that easy!!! Any ideas guy? Thanks in advance for any insight! Craig
Old 07-17-2010, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

um put an ls1 in it then it will line up lol you know driveing an ss clone with a v6 is like sleeping with a transvestitte its just as long as the hood shuts why worry just put some lipstick on it i mean stickers thats worth more hp anyday
i know you dont want to get a whole new assembly but if you are gonna do the sex change i mean lsx swap it wouldnt be a bad idea if if it will line up i dunno never paid the sixers in the 4th gen to much attention
was the vfn hood a ss style hood if so it should line up the same?

Last edited by theskitztikwon; 07-17-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the only difference between the V6 and LS1 airbox is the lid part, not the lower part, but I may be wrong.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there the same
Old 07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A guy around my place that i see from time to time has a v6 ws6. He cloned the car and i tried to race him two years ago thinking it was a ls1,then he showed me it was a v6. now,i look at him in shame
Old 07-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

dont forget to put a spoiler on your spoiler +15hp
Old 07-18-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

You guy's are Terrible, maybe the guy wants a SS but just doesn't have the money right now. I want things that I cannot afford, and i'm sure YOU do Too. You should be Helping him not pokeing fun. shame shame shame.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hey i might have poked fun but i helped too (as much as i could) my first bird was a 90 v6 loved that car altough it was a dog but the only way ill get a another v6 is to have it as a dd as long as the v8 is at the house
Old 07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No help necessary -- SS Hoods belong on V-8s.

That's why an SS is actually a Z28 SS!

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 07-19-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jesus guys, the guy is only improving the appearance of his car. **** if I could get an OEM SS hood for $200 I'd be all over that thing too. Honestly who cares if its a V-6? Some people cant afford a V-8, that doesn't mean they can't make their car look better. An SS hood looks 1000000000x's better than the stocker, so I don't think anyone can argue that he is doing anything that will hurt the appearance of his car. Adding an SS hood is a far cry from adding stickers or putting a spoiler on top of a spoiler so I really don't see why you guys even bothered posting that. This is LS1TECH, where we are supposed to help eachother out, not make fun of people. I agree some people do things that are way out there that look just horrible and I too will let them know that they are hurting the appearance of their car. But, this guy is putting an SS hood on a CAMARO, its not the first time this has been done and it definitely won't be the last. So lets answer the tech question he asked and let him keep making positive additions to his car to make it look better.

To the OP, just put it on there and if it closes then your good to go. You won't see any power gains from having the lid perfectly centered behind the hood, **** you won't see any gains at all from an SS hood except for maybe decreased underhood temps, maybe.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ what this guy said i mean if the hood was put on a v6 instead of a v8 what are yall not gonna put it on a v8 just because it was orignally on a v6? and if you shouldnt do anything to a v6 such as something as simple as swaping hoods then why does a V8 Z28 rock the same hood as the V6? think about that before you post
Old 07-19-2010, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

So put an Ultra Z or heat extractor hood on a V6 -- the SS add-ons are supposed to set the car apart and indicate V8 power... The sixes SHOULD look different. Notice the souped up Jay Leno Twin Turbo V6 5th Gen Camaro concept did NOT look like the SS!
Old 07-19-2010, 02:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
So put an Ultra Z or heat extractor hood on a V6 -- the SS add-ons are supposed to set the car apart and indicate V8 power... The sixes SHOULD look different. Notice the souped up Jay Leno Twin Turbo V6 5th Gen Camaro concept did NOT look like the SS!
okay... you don't really make any sense here... the Z28 has the same motor that the SS has, yet the same body as the v6. So no, the SS appearance options are not to indicate V8 power, if so they'd also be on the Z cars.

As far as 4th gens go, they're to make the car look better, ride better with upgraded suspension, and most importantly, allow GM to charge a lot more for the few extra options. I won't even say perform better, because there really isn't anything extra in that department
Old 07-19-2010, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No help necessary -- SS Hoods belong on V-8s.

That's why an SS is actually a Z28 SS!
Would have thought that somebody with your screen name would be a little more open minded about differant opinions & someones freedom to choose whatever hood they want.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 AM
On The Tree

I would have thought the hoods would be the same? Like direct bolt on to the stock hood you have?

Buy it for $200 if you cant make it work it will sell for more than that, if it was here id pay cash more than that today so just get it and try I guess?

I was looking at the carbon fiber ss hood for my white z but im not sure yet, was thinking itd work to not have to paint it then if it got damaged or something it could be painted.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

Sure did. SS is a package for Z28 cars only. SS Camaros ARE Z28s! Z28 SS, to be specific.

The Ultra Z hood scoop actually works BETTER than the SS one -- I would never want to put an SS hood on my V6 -- it's too misleading.

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
okay... you don't really make any sense here... the Z28 has the same motor that the SS has, yet the same body as the v6. So no, the SS appearance options are not to indicate V8 power, if so they'd also be on the Z cars.

As far as 4th gens go, they're to make the car look better, ride better with upgraded suspension, and most importantly, allow GM to charge a lot more for the few extra options. I won't even say perform better, because there really isn't anything extra in that department
Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

WHY? My opinion was stated. People have the liberty to look foolish if they want, nobody is forcing them to do otherwise. I wouldn't want to do that modification. It reminds me of these silly fart-box imports thinking they sound/look cool with that farting/go-kart sound driving around.

If I want performance, I would buy performance, not a fart-box.

Yes I have an RS too, but there is no chance of an SS hood in its future!

Originally Posted by McNord@6LE
Would have thought that somebody with your screen name would be a little more open minded about differant opinions & someones freedom to choose whatever hood they want.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

No actually if you go back in time the z28 is a RS Ralley Sport with the Z28 package, I believe. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whats with all the bullshit comments? Who cares if he has SS parts on a V6 car. It's his car, let him do what he wants. He asks a simple question and some of you treat him like he's an ignorant ricer.

And did you guys even read.....

Originally Posted by DogNutz
It seems that the V-6 assembly is shifted to the left a couple inches off-center as opposed to my LS1 car.
It appears he also owns an LS1 car; not that it even matters though.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WHY? My opinion was stated. People have the liberty to look foolish if they want, nobody is forcing them to do otherwise. I wouldn't want to do that modification. It reminds me of these silly fart-box imports thinking they sound/look cool with that farting/go-kart sound driving around.

If I want performance, I would buy performance, not a fart-box.

Yes I have an RS too, but there is no chance of an SS hood in its future!
No one cares how you feel. The guy asked a simple tech question and you proceeded to flame him. Do everyone a favor and don't post unless its productive or funny. Two things you have failed at in this thread. OP did the hood fit okay?

Quick Reply: Help in fitting a 99 SS hood on a 99 v-6 camaro