Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Hlaalu's headlights ** 99.9% completed **

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be in the H1 / 9006 connectors. Ive got DDM kits on my bike, GF car, moms car, my xterra, my camaro, with no probs.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UnVMySS
If your HID is flickering, you need a wiring harness. They're 25 bucks at hidspeed.com. These cars need them. Trust me.
What is it exactly?

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Depends. Mine work perfectly without a harness, I've had them about 2 years
Well aren't you special! There is a lot of stuff about it on google, it looks like it's totally random.

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK
It could be in the H1 / 9006 connectors. Ive got DDM kits on my bike, GF car, moms car, my xterra, my camaro, with no probs.
It might be, because I had to flip the connection so it doesn't lock in place. I'll tape it really good when I finish tonight
Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends. Mine work perfectly without a harness, I've had them about 2 years
yeah but youre special. Id get them just for insurance, why put all that work into them and burn them out in a week (or risk it)
Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

How hard is it to actually take the lens off? to get to the halo's? just curious ...I might do this seeing as how I need new headlights..
Old 08-03-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hlaalu
What is it exactly?
Basically feeds them direct from the battery instead of through the stock harness. The stock harness just clicks a relay on and off. Reason I don't think the stock harness is an issue when running is HIDs (the 35W ones at least) use less power than halogens, so the stock harness can handle that just fine. The issue can sometimes be just the initial startup inrush current which is pretty high. Firebird guys tend to have more of a problem than Camaro guys because they have the extra load of the headlight motor starting as well.

Well aren't you special! There is a lot of stuff about it on google, it looks like it's totally random.

It might be, because I had to flip the connection so it doesn't lock in place. I'll tape it really good when I finish tonight
Yes, I am special

What I did on mine is I flipped the wires in the stock harness so it could lock in place again. That way the HIDs work, and lock, and if I was to ever go back to halogen the halogen bulb doesn't give a crap which way the current flows in it.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Basically feeds them direct from the battery instead of through the stock harness. The stock harness just clicks a relay on and off. Reason I don't think the stock harness is an issue when running is HIDs (the 35W ones at least) use less power than halogens, so the stock harness can handle that just fine. The issue can sometimes be just the initial startup inrush current which is pretty high. Firebird guys tend to have more of a problem than Camaro guys because they have the extra load of the headlight motor starting as well.

Yes, I am special

What I did on mine is I flipped the wires in the stock harness so it could lock in place again. That way the HIDs work, and lock, and if I was to ever go back to halogen the halogen bulb doesn't give a crap which way the current flows in it.
How did you do that? I tried getting the wires out of the connector and they wouldn't budge, I didn't want to break anything.

I also read that the if the fuse for the lights is a 10 or a 15 I should change it to a 20.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

okay this is weird, I went to check my fuses and I don't even have fuses in the LH HDLPR and RH HDLP DR

But my lights have always worked and still work.... um?
Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

How did you do that? I tried getting the wires out of the connector and they wouldn't budge, I didn't want to break anything.

I also read that the if the fuse for the lights is a 10 or a 15 I should change it to a 20.
There is a little locking tab that if you push with a tiny screwdriver it lets the wire slide right out.

Also, changing the fuse wouldn't do anything good. If you aren't blowing it, then a higher rated fuse will do nothing. If you ARE blowing it, you still shouldn't change it to a higher one as the wiring probably wouldn't handle it.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

There is a little locking tab that if you push with a tiny screwdriver it lets the wire slide right out.

Also, changing the fuse wouldn't do anything good. If you aren't blowing it, then a higher rated fuse will do nothing. If you ARE blowing it, you still shouldn't change it to a higher one as the wiring probably wouldn't handle it.
well there are no fuses in there lol
Old 08-04-2010, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

hey sparky is there a way to make adjustments to the headlights on the car? like with the brackets or something? the adjustments on my headlights are maxed out but they still shine kind of low
Old 08-04-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

here are some more pics, i think my camera is broken though it wouldn't focus at all.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:59 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

now you need to do this
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...very-easy.html
Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

There should be 2 adj screws on the lights. I had to loosen the 10mm bolt, pull up on the light and tighten it back to get the proper adj I needed.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by saltwaterreefguy
How hard is it to actually take the lens off? to get to the halo's? just curious ...I might do this seeing as how I need new headlights..
not hard at at all, remove metal tabs, bulbs, there might be a screw on some lights that holds housing together...remove that, place on cookie sheet at 350 for 8 mins, use oven mit or gloves, use a small flat head screwdriver or work ur way into the light, you need to move quickly cause the RTV will harden back up. Once you got it started, you can use an utility knife to cut through the RTV, and pull apart with ur hands.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HAYSTACK
There should be 2 adj screws on the lights. I had to loosen the 10mm bolt, pull up on the light and tighten it back to get the proper adj I needed.
Actually there are three adjustment screws on the Sonars, that's why they fit better than the others the bad part is you have to take the headlight off the car to adjust it (eyeball). The 3rd screw is at the middle-bottom, behind the headlight IIRC.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 AM
On The Tree

the adj is still poor, on my Xterra I can adj the projector itself up, down, left, right without adj then entire light.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

hey sparky is there a way to make adjustments to the headlights on the car? like with the brackets or something? the adjustments on my headlights are maxed out but they still shine kind of low
Yeah. Pull them off the car then look at the center of the lower part of the bracket. You should see a philips head screw in there. If you loosen it, it will push the bottom of the headlight outward a little (don't go too far). That will tip it upward a tad but more importantly it gives you a little more range of motion and helps fill in any gap between the light and the bumper.

The screws should be enough to get it aimed high enough though. On mine, if I max them out I would be shining straight into someone's windshield.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks amazing Hiaalu. I dunno how the hell you go about changing the halo colors.. but I better start figuring it out, cause I'll probably have a Camaro soon.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those RED halo's are frickin' amazing......

Great job so far....
Old 08-04-2010, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
That looks amazing Hiaalu. I dunno how the hell you go about changing the halo colors.. but I better start figuring it out, cause I'll probably have a Camaro soon.
Find the lights you want....open them bad boys up........
Just measure the diameter of the shroud, so you know what size CCFL to order, besides that the hardest part is getting them secured so they wont come off. Most of the halos that come on the headlights have 2 tabs and are hot glued in...so removal is fairly simple.

Quick Reply: Hlaalu's headlights ** 99.9% completed **