Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommendation's PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Moz
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Recommendation's PLEASE

I am not a detailer by any meen's.However I do have a Black (ugh)01' WS6 that has minnor swirl marks and minnor scratch's that I would like to have gone.I want to bring back the luster that my car had when I bought it brand new.I dont drive the car in the rain,and it is stored winters (Wisconsin).
I'm looking to do the detailing myself and understand there is a lot of time and effort into bringing a neglected finish back to life,(up to now the car has been washed and dryed).Never clayed or buffed.
I am a novice to detailing but have to start somewhere right?
This is what i've been considering.
http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-porter-cable.html
I know there are a ton of threads/post explaining how to remove swirls and scratches but I truely dont know where to start after washing and drying of my car.
Everyone has different opinion's of what is the right way to approach this,and that just makes it more confusing!
Is this a good kit to start out with? (http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-porter-cable.html)
What is the best approach for a beginner to start taking care of the finish of my car (removing swirls and scratches)?
What causes the swirls in first place (washing in circular motion when the paints clear coat is contanimated)?
Thank You Very Much for any and all inputs.
Moz

Last edited by Moz; 08-01-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-01-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks like a decent kit. I have never used that product, but have heard alot of good things about it. The Porter Cable is a great tool and will not harm the paint if used correctly. Very easy to use, just take your time and start slow. Use the orange pad with their swirl remover product and "work" a 1 foot by 1 foot area until the finish is clear. Once you find out what it will take to get the paint clear, you can do the rest of the car. It takes time, but the outcome can be amazing.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:08 PM
Moz
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99zee
That looks like a decent kit. I have never used that product, but have heard alot of good things about it. The Porter Cable is a great tool and will not harm the paint if used correctly. Very easy to use, just take your time and start slow. Use the orange pad with their swirl remover product and "work" a 1 foot by 1 foot area until the finish is clear. Once you find out what it will take to get the paint clear, you can do the rest of the car. It takes time, but the outcome can be amazing.
Hey that is a great start.
I'm absolutly a visual person :
"Use the orange pad with their swirl remover product "
Thats exactly what i'm looking for, a step by step,from what product to start with to what product to finish with.
Please keep the comment's coming because we all know ,Black is a PITA

Thanx
Old 08-01-2010, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you.. Need to learn how to do a good detail on my car.. Like you my car has never seen snow and hasn't seen rain since 2006...

I just need to bite the bullet and buy a PC kit
Old 08-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Moz
Launching!

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I'm in the same boat as you.. Need to learn how to do a good detail on my car.. Like you my car has never seen snow and hasn't seen rain since 2006...

I just need to bite the bullet and buy a PC kit
Exactly,but what kit?The AutoGeek website has too many options,AGAIN.
I know i'll be buying a PorterCable,but what kit for beginners that want to take out the swirl/scratch marks?
Right now i'm thinking the P/C with the Pinnical starter kit.I want something to attack the swirls & scratches and then bring my finish back to that deep ,dark (wet look),finish to the black paint.
The sale AutoGeek had just ended.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Moz
Launching!

Come on people, are "TORCHD 02 TA" and myself the only people that have interest in getting rid of swirl & scratch marks.I see over 60 view's,so PLEASE any advise would be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moz
Exactly,but what kit?The AutoGeek website has too many options,AGAIN.
I know i'll be buying a PorterCable,but what kit for beginners that want to take out the swirl/scratch marks?
Right now i'm thinking the P/C with the Pinnical starter kit.I want something to attack the swirls & scratches and then bring my finish back to that deep ,dark (wet look),finish to the black paint.
The sale AutoGeek had just ended.
Originally Posted by Moz
Come on people, are "TORCHD 02 TA" and myself the only people that have interest in getting rid of swirl & scratch marks.I see over 60 view's,so PLEASE any advise would be appreciated.
Yeah I think you and I are the only ones in this sinking ship

Like you said, AutoGeek has way to many options.. I am lost what to do to the car after claying.. I think you correct the paint (remove swirls and what not) then you polish it, seal it then wax it...

From what I have gathered, you use Lake COunty pads, Orange, Whit or Blue with there SIP polish
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Moz
Launching!

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Yeah I think you and I are the only ones in this sinking ship

Like you said, AutoGeek has way to many options.. I am lost what to do to the car after claying.. I think you correct the paint (remove swirls and what not) then you polish it, seal it then wax it...

From what I have gathered, you use Lake COunty pads, Orange, Whit or Blue with there SIP polish
I just got done using a Meguiars clay bar kit on my DD (06'Chrysler 300) and man did the dirt come off.The claying process is pretty easy,and you WILL feel the dirt come off,that you couldn't see after I washed the car.
The kit came with a sealer as well.I thought I would get some practice for when I order the kit from AutoGeek (just dont know which one).
So far I have down:
Wash with a good car soap,dry,clay bar,seal.Where does the swirl&scratch remover come in at in this process ?
I know that there are good detailer's out there that get a good $ to do what they do but I want to learn how to do it myself and take a lil' pride in my work.Also a detailer does it day in and day out and sometimes might not take ownership in every car he/she does.That would make me want to do the best job I can and am only going to be doing one car.In return when I get good enough,I should have no excuse in having my car's apperance not up to my liking.

Here are a few pic's I took after doing my DD this afternoon (washed,dried,clay bar,sealed).Turned out alright.But then again the Black WS6 is where the real fun will begin!
Attached Thumbnails Recommendation's PLEASE-chrysler-after-clay-bar-003.jpg   Recommendation's PLEASE-chrysler-after-clay-bar-002.jpg   Recommendation's PLEASE-chrysler-after-clay-bar-006.jpg   Recommendation's PLEASE-chrysler-after-clay-bar-005.jpg   Recommendation's PLEASE-chrysler-after-clay-bar-004.jpg  

Last edited by Moz; 08-01-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-01-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

After the clay bar and the paint is clean, it's time for paint correction. The PC and orange pad with swirl remover or something like Meguiar's m105 (for micro scratches) is where you start. I use the M105, then M205, polish and then wax. There are tons of products out there. Some companies have so many that do pretty much the same thing it gets confusing. It can be very simple. For store bought products I have had good luck with Meguiar's. For scratches I use Meguiar's M105 and M205. I can hook you up with a nice starter kit. I have sold to a few kits to LS1TECH members. I have a few PC kits in stock. It includes the buffer, counterweight, backing plate, pad set and bonnets. I also stock the M105/M205. That is available in 8, 12 and 32 oz bottles. I don't want to get the mod's upset so if you have any pricing questions just send me a PM.

Moz: I saw you posted in TORCHD 02 TA's thread. You can get the correction in those pictures with the PC, M105/205 and some time. Like I mentioned before, you work a small area until you are happy before doing the entire car. I can show someone how to correct the paint and it might take 30-45 minutes to correct half a fender. Multiple that for the entire car and you see why the price is high. With the right "tools" you can do this and never pay anyone again.

Last edited by 99zee; 08-01-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

One of the main things that is important when you are just starting out is to pick a good quality line of products, and learn how to use them, before trying others. Too many people get caught up in trying the latest and greatest, and never learn how to get the proper results out of anything they are using.

The Meg's 105/205 combo is a good choice, as are others.