Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Replacing driver side lower seat cushion?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 01:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing driver side lower seat cushion?

I'm about to order a new lower seat cushion, and am curious if replacing the cushion is something I have to take to an upholstery shop, or is it pretty easy to replace the cushion myself? I did some searching, but haven't found any writeups or anything for this.. Thanks

Also, my side supports on the seat seem to leak, I have to pump the side back up every now and then, my 97 did this too. Any common places to look as to why these side supports leak air?
Old 09-15-2010, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Surely someone has replaced this cushion
Old 09-20-2010, 08:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Anyone?
Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its very easy...I have done it lots of times. ALso if you can find a nice passengers side bottom you can use it on the drivers side. They are fully interchangable.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have cloth seats and they were easy to disassemble. Leather is probably similar.

The bottom of the driver and passenger seat are identical. The only change is to move a threaded clip from one side of the bottom seat frame to the other. In fact, my driver's bottom is actually the passenger one. The driver seat bottom frame on mine cracked so a friend of my fathers welded it back up, but in the mean time, I swapped seat bottoms so I could drive the car. When it came back, I used it to reassemble the passenger seat.

Since you're there, you'll notice that the central support for the cushion is a bunch of thin wires that cut into the cushion causing the seat bottom to sink over time. I made a flexible sheet to cover those wires to keep them from cutting into the foam. I had some metal screen material and aluminum foil tape so I combined it. I wrapped the screen material around the wires to make a flat surface then wrapped that with the foil tape. That created a flat smooth flexible metallic surface for the foam to sit on instead of the wires. Sorry, I didn't take pictures.

Some screws holding plastic covers over the track.
4 bolts hold the seat in the car.
Some screws holding plastic covers over the seat tilt mechanism
3+ bolts hold the seat back to the seat bottom.
4 bolts hold the track to the seat

Once you have the seat disassembled, you can pull the cover off the seat bottom. Its held in with two long plastic clips (around 8" long). One clip running along the front and one running along the back. They hold the cover on the frame. Get one clip off and the other comes off easy. After that, the frame can be pulled out of the cover and foam combination. The cover can also be removed from the foam by just pealing/pulling it off.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-29-2010 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Are you getting these cushions from GM or aftermarket? I was under the impression that all of the seat bits where gone?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the responses. The seat cushions appear on gmpartsdirect for under $40.. That's where I'll be ordering them from.. I was just making sure there was no stitching involved. I will be tackling this task soon!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've got my driver seat upholstery repaired and then when I started to assemble I got 2 questions:
1) does wiring (2 pieces of wiring) go between rail and the seat, or should it be between the floor carpet and the rail
2) that plastic side panel with buttons on it - how do I secure it, is it screwed into home-made looking big flat T-piece? I didn't find where to secure it on the seat itself and only later I remembered there was also this T-piece...
Old 04-23-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HoLLo
Thanks for the responses. The seat cushions appear on gmpartsdirect for under $40.. That's where I'll be ordering them from.. I was just making sure there was no stitching involved. I will be tackling this task soon!
Good to know. My drivers side might need some help, but I can't find it on GM parts direct. Got a part number?

Quick Reply: Replacing driver side lower seat cushion?