Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

For those breaking the "no front license plate" law.. COME IN!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those breaking the "no front license plate" law.. COME IN!!

Alright guys.. I think I may have got something as a birthday present that kills 2 birds with 1 stone.

I got 2 "no front license plate" tickets here in NY this summer (actually got pulled over 3 times).

Everyone told me to just put the front plate on my SS, but I REFUSED to drill the holes in the front of my bumper, ruin the appearance, and take out my front bumper insert to do it.

My parents bought me a retractable front license plate bracket that mounts underneath the front of the bumper and folds up. Soo.... When I'm driving, I can flip it up, and when I'm at a car show, I can hide it. I've never seen anything like this before on local cars, but I'm sure that some of you guys may have.

Its not yet installed, but I snapped some pics of it to show the design.

It seems like its real good quality as well... And durable.

I might install it later tonight, not sure yet.. But I'll definately get some pics up after it on.

Just thought I'd post this up to show some of you guys an option for the whole front plate thing. I'm glad I didnt drill into my bumper and held out.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Is that the manual version? I'm dying to get the remote operated version.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like a good idea for those running without front plates. luckily, i've never had any issue without having one.

the design looks good, just wonder how low exactly it'd be to the ground, with it being attached under the car. Especially when you go to park somewhere where you park facing a curb, where the bumper hangs over the curb slightly, or when there are the cement blocks in parking lots. The plate would probably get banged up pretty bad by those things.

^A remote version of this design would be perfect. have it go down when driving and back up everytime you park/stop the car. I'd be all over that. Until then, i'll go without
Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by crimson_bird
looks like a good idea for those running without front plates. luckily, i've never had any issue without having one.

the design looks good, just wonder how low exactly it'd be to the ground, with it being attached under the car. Especially when you go to park somewhere where you park facing a curb, where the bumper hangs over the curb slightly, or when there are the cement blocks in parking lots. The plate would probably get banged up pretty bad by those things.

^A remote version of this design would be perfect. have it go down when driving and back up everytime you park/stop the car. I'd be all over that. Until then, i'll go without
I found out that they have one of those too...

I think its like $130.

You can controll it inside the car, and have it flip up or down with the puch of a button.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

ive had both the manual/remote versions of that kit. your going to have to drill into the bottom of your bumper to hold the frame there. ive got a video of the remote controlled version....

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=56767420
Old 09-15-2010, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

cops must be bored. I have been pulled over twice for no front plate. I just remove my grille and velcro that bitch on there...

Post some pics when you get it installed
Old 09-15-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Badguy7
ive had both the manual/remote versions of that kit. your going to have to drill into the bottom of your bumper to hold the frame there. ive got a video of the remote controlled version....

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...deoid=56767420
Which did/do you prefer? would you buy either one again after owning them for some time?
Old 09-15-2010, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

I think it is a great idea that some one came up with it.. I also got my front bumper all smooth and perfectly painted..I would hate to drill a hole..

The solution to the curbs are to park the car rear end in first..
Old 09-15-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
I think it is a great idea that some one came up with it.. I also got my front bumper all smooth and perfectly painted..I would hate to drill a hole..

The solution to the curbs are to park the car rear end in first..
Some parking lots in So Cal have "Dont not park back in first" signs.
I've never understood why not.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Which did/do you prefer? would you buy either one again after owning them for some time?
I will definately buy another one, keeps the cops off my *** for not having a front plate.

As for which do i prefer, i kind of liked the remote version a bit more. I guess just because it was like a james bond/007 type of thing lol And it would be a great thing to show off at a car show. Probably get a few points just for that. At the same time though, i got so used to just leaving the plate facing up that it really wouldnt have mattered if it was the manual or remote version. I only put it down for taking pics of the car or washing the car. At the end, just depends if you want to spend the extra cash for it or not.

I would also suggest that if you do get the remote version, to always flip it up and take a look at it. I once tried it with being in the car and driving around, remembered it was down. So grabbed the remote, hit the button. Gave it a few seconds, figured it was all the way up. Stopped at a store to buy a drink, took a look at it and it wasnt all the way up lol plate was just sticking straight out, need a few more hits from the button to pop it up in place lol
Old 09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Some parking lots in So Cal have "Dont not park back in first" signs.
I've never understood why not.
Because its guarenteed to be collision time when some chick is trying to pull this off.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

i got a ticket only by a stupid statet tropper.regular cops dont care unless ur driving erotic or there having a bad day.the other day i come in to my development and saw flashing lights and thought he was coming after me.with the state tropper i also decided i not going to stop on the rocky grass and i made him wait until thee end of northern state.plse no bashing.i know i did it wrong and there always right.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That sucks man that you are getting tickets. I haven't had one for 10 years and have never gotten pulled over once for it. I wish they would just get rid of the damn law for good. Not every state requires it so the reasons behind having it obviously don't apply everywhere.. Looks like that is a good solution you have, ive seen a few of those before.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99_Z_155
Because its guarenteed to be collision time when some chick is trying to pull this off.
lol.

I've heard that it also hold up traffic, but either one of those are going to be the same when she backs out.

Foward parking:
easier to park, harder to pull out

Backware parking
Harder to park, easier to pull out
Old 09-15-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Badguy7
I will definately buy another one, keeps the cops off my *** for not having a front plate.

As for which do i prefer, i kind of liked the remote version a bit more. I guess just because it was like a james bond/007 type of thing lol And it would be a great thing to show off at a car show. Probably get a few points just for that. At the same time though, i got so used to just leaving the plate facing up that it really wouldnt have mattered if it was the manual or remote version. I only put it down for taking pics of the car or washing the car. At the end, just depends if you want to spend the extra cash for it or not.

I would also suggest that if you do get the remote version, to always flip it up and take a look at it. I once tried it with being in the car and driving around, remembered it was down. So grabbed the remote, hit the button. Gave it a few seconds, figured it was all the way up. Stopped at a store to buy a drink, took a look at it and it wasnt all the way up lol plate was just sticking straight out, need a few more hits from the button to pop it up in place lol
I was thinking of making one myself, but may just buy it and save the work.

I'd probably put some kind of limit switches on it to stop movement and be able to light the switch LEDs to let me know it's status.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

This is definetly a good option for anyone worried about tickets... Fortunately ive never been hassled to bad about not having the plate on the front.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are the pics..

Not the best.. So I appoligise.. And its a little dirty too. I havent driven it for over 2 weeks and it wont be back on the road until spring.

The install was really easy.. And its actually really easy to uninstall too if you wanted to take it off for a car show. I'm actually going to move it back a little so it doesnt stick out as much. I was able to install it with only 1 arm (my left shoulder is in a sling).
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SOMSS1LE
That sucks man that you are getting tickets. I haven't had one for 10 years and have never gotten pulled over once for it. I wish they would just get rid of the damn law for good. Not every state requires it so the reasons behind having it obviously don't apply everywhere.. Looks like that is a good solution you have, ive seen a few of those before.
I've got two tickets. Once by a pissed off CHP that had to catch up to me to pull me over. He gave my whole car a good look over.

The other was for parking on the street in front of my own house. Came back out a few minutes later and there was a parking ticket, with the box checked off for "No front plate". This one was a $50 fine, not a fix it ticket.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got two tickets. Once by a pissed off CHP that had to catch up to me to pull me over. He gave my whole car a good look over.

The other was for parking on the street in front of my own house. Came back out a few minutes later and there was a parking ticket, with the box checked off for "No front plate". This one was a $50 fine, not a fix it ticket.
In NY, they are $110... But I got it reduced to a parking ticket.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Camaro_94
In NY, they are $110... But I got it reduced to a parking ticket.
In CA normally it is a fix it ticket. May or may not also have a fine, but you must take your car to a police station and get the ticket signed off stating that you have the plate on there now. More and more police stations are starting to charge for the sign off.

Quick Reply: For those breaking the "no front license plate" law.. COME IN!!