Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Pro detailers come in

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro detailers come in

So, for those of you that detail without a shop to tale the car to how do you do it? I detail for a living at a stealership and am looking at doing it on the side. My main question is, do you pick up the car and take it to your place or do you do it at their house or what? Portable power washer or something? Any guidance would be awesome.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

i do it on the side and do it in my garage. customers leave it for about 5-10 hrs. I;m looking into getting a truck and going to my customers.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's actually what I was thinking was getting a truck and mobile power washer and power supply so I can buff and do the interior there. Do you have them sign a waiver or anything or any kind of protection for yourself if you burn a panel?
Old 11-14-2010, 11:25 PM
Staging Lane

I have people drop it off at my house, and then pick it up. I never drive the car. Less liability that way.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

if you do end up doing damage to there car you are the responsable one just like if you pick there car up and get in a wreck you have to take car of it.
my buddy does that he has a guy pick up his car and i cringe every time he tells me he's geting his truck cleaned up.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shaun
if you do end up doing damage to there car you are the responsable one just like if you pick there car up and get in a wreck you have to take car of it.
my buddy does that he has a guy pick up his car and i cringe every time he tells me he's geting his truck cleaned up.
Exactly

Hence why I said less.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

We pick it up and do it at a buddys uncles shop, or his driveway. We also try to get them to drop off the car, as stated its less chance of issues. But if we have to we pick it up.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

a waiver would be a good idea. I'm thinking about doing this..
Old 11-15-2010, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 01SOMSS!
a waiver would be a good idea. I'm thinking about doing this..
That waiver would be worthless, because if you do unexpected damage to the car you will be leliable regardless of any piece of paper.

Waivers only work if it's something beyond the company's control. For example, you sign a waiver at the gym that releases them from liability if you over-work yourself and have a heart attack, because exercise is expected and a heart-attack is a possible result of that and is beyond their control. On the other hand, not crashing your car IS within the detailer's control, and therefore it's not a waive-able liability.

If you're going to pick up cars, you're going to need business insurance. I personally wouldn't let any business pick up my car without that insurance, and as a business owner wouldn't want to take the risk of crashing a $80k car without insurance. (And I don't believe your personal auto insurance covers your pick-up detailing driving. Might want to look into that)
Old 11-15-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

the waiver i was talking about wasnt for wrecking a car. I never drive my clients cars. It was for something like someone trying to blame me for a scratch that they found on their car that I didn't have anything to do with. I've never been in a situation like that,but I'm sure it could happen to anyone.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

the waiver i was talking about wasnt for wrecking a car. I never drive my clients cars. It was for something like someone trying to blame me for a scratch that they found on their car that I didn't have anything to do with. I've never been in a situation like that,but I'm sure it could happen to anyone.
That's actually what I meant. Say a scratch was already on a panel and you try to fix it and they come back and say 'that wasn't there before' or something. Just a thought. I appreciate the feedback though guys. I really may start having people drop their cars off at my place and keep the car for awhile and have them come pick it up.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I manage a shop where we drive and work on customer vehicles and we always do an inspection, not unlike a rental car place, and I point out and describe every little flaw I can find so we won't be blamed for it later
Old 11-16-2010, 01:12 AM
11 Second Club

Apply to be an LLC. It's 50 bucks IIRC and one simple form. That way you can only be sued for what you have in the company if you are really going to be doing a lot of jobs.

For example, you have 500 invested in your company, if you have an LLC, that's all you can be liable for. If you don't, you can get sued for more than that.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Since I just do side jobs and its not my full time job I do it in my garage because hauling ask that stuff around is ap pain in the as let alone doing it in the fun if they don't have a garage
Old 11-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has been only one person whom I let take one of my cars due to being good friends and he was in a bind. Typically they drop off or im always willing to drive to their house so as long as I have shade, time, access to water.

I did a internet search about portable washers and I got some good hits.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Teching In

I setup mobile detailers as well as full blown dealerships for a living so here is the skinny:

If your going to be picking up the customers vehicles or performing an onsite mobile service you better invest in an insurance policy to cover you in case of well ANYTHING. These policys generally cost around $100-$150 per month but the piece of mind is priceless.

If your going to go mobile you will need a pressure washer, 125 gallon water tank (no more as it will be hell on your brakes and driveline to carry the water), generator to run your tools and all of your chemicals and sundries.

If you have questions on how or what to use just shoot me a PM. I would be glad to help you get started.

Joe
Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DukesOfHazard
That's actually what I was thinking was getting a truck and mobile power washer and power supply so I can buff and do the interior there. Do you have them sign a waiver or anything or any kind of protection for yourself if you burn a panel?
Don't get a waiver form, a good lawyer will tear right through that if you get yourself in trouble. Get insurance!

Learn to buff properly before doing it on other peoples cars. Dealership training has MUCH to be desired.... Keep it by hand only until you learn the correct skill set.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trojan35
That waiver would be worthless, because if you do unexpected damage to the car you will be leliable regardless of any piece of paper.

Waivers only work if it's something beyond the company's control. For example, you sign a waiver at the gym that releases them from liability if you over-work yourself and have a heart attack, because exercise is expected and a heart-attack is a possible result of that and is beyond their control. On the other hand, not crashing your car IS within the detailer's control, and therefore it's not a waive-able liability.

If you're going to pick up cars, you're going to need business insurance. I personally wouldn't let any business pick up my car without that insurance, and as a business owner wouldn't want to take the risk of crashing a $80k car without insurance. (And I don't believe your personal auto insurance covers your pick-up detailing driving. Might want to look into that)
This is spot on.

If they want to FIND something, they will. That won't hold water. Get insurance.

Originally Posted by VinR1
I manage a shop where we drive and work on customer vehicles and we always do an inspection, not unlike a rental car place, and I point out and describe every little flaw I can find so we won't be blamed for it later

Do you have insurance to back you up or photographic evidence with extensive before pics? If not, you can easily be vulnerable.

For detailers, Garage Keepers insurance is a must. If you are driving a customer's vehicle anywhere outside your driveway, get Garage Liability as well which covers you driving their car anywhere. For me with $1 million coverage and $500 deductable it cost me under $800/yr thru State Farm.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:21 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance isn't that much I have to have at least a million dollar plan, I do chemical cleaning of new masonry and restoration and Its only 250 a month well worth it,
Old 11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Restricted User

I do it at my house, the clients house, as well as a few shops. Make sure you have all your products, tools, ect. I use the clients water and power I havent had any have a problem with that. If they dont have that avalible then they will drop the vehicle off at my house or at one of the shops I work out of. Also get yourself insurance, I have a limit liability insurance for my company. Depending on where you live and the insurance company you go with you will either need a limit liability or garage keepers

Quick Reply: Pro detailers come in