Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Help me pick my next mod!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me pick my next mod!

Here is my car 00' LPM z28. I have money to spend for once (3-4 benjs) and cant decide what to do since there are many things i want to do: lower it, cam it, maybe a different exhaust setup, HIDs, sub, i don't know there is alot. I currently have new tint for the sides and back, new window motors, and rear shocks that are waiting for me to just get some time and replace. I'm thinking mainly dropping the car cause it rolls like a **** in the corners and handles like a pig, but i dont have enough for good shocks just springs. Anyways take a peak yall and tell me what you think!
Attached Thumbnails Help me pick my next mod!-z.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Lower and loose the side moldings. Black clear corners and not the VHT stuff. Matte Black Tailight panel. Maybe the Whistler mod. CME or something diff. on the exhaust tips side. I'll get back to other stuff if I can think of it. What I listed was stuff off the top of my head.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Since you say you're having handling issues, plus the fact that a few of the things you mentioned are more than $400, I'd go with a set of Bilsteins for $400.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Lower and loose the side moldings. Black clear corners and not the VHT stuff. Matte Black Tailight panel. Maybe the Whistler mod. CME or something diff. on the exhaust tips side. I'll get back to other stuff if I can think of it. What I listed was stuff off the top of my head.
I dont know what springs i would get since there seems too be many problems with all of the choices execpt a complete setup like koni/stranos or equivalent. Am i gunna get alot of hassle from the cops for the tailight panel cause i was thinking about that. CME would be sweet, i'm going to wait on that though because i'm thinking may be able to fab my own when i have the chance and just get the valence. And how much hassel is the whistler? If i do that i have been wanting to get at my corners to black them out too..

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
Since you say you're having handling issues, plus the fact that a few of the things you mentioned are more than $400, I'd go with a set of Bilsteins for $400.
Not nessisarily issues just the stock garbage...not exactly good in the corners especially after riding in my buddies rsx all the time really makes me want something stiffer.. I have thought about them.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you Need to do the suspension. It would look good & corner very well.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I would go with Strano's. I have Eibach and there starting to show the wear on them cause my back passenger side actually sits lower than the driver side. Not much but it does. For the tailight panel, all you do is take the two screws out on each side for the tailgihts, pop the out then take out the four screws holding the tailight panel on the just slide it out, prep, paint the reverse your steps so all you doing is painting a piece of the car itself, not the tailights unless you tint them and idk really about the cops since all areas are different. The whistler just requires you to take the headlights out, heat them up to loosen up the glue that holds the lens on the housing so you can take them apart, tape off what you don't want painted, then paint the inside housing, let dry, then take and get some RV sealant to re-install the lense to the housing. Only thing you have to worry about this is if you headlights aren't new, when you go to tape off the areas you don't want painted, some of the reflective stuff may come off since there old and brittle. They make low adhesive tape for stuff like this. Or you can use whatever tape you want to just take the piece of tape and put it on your pants or something like that cause if you have ever done that, then whats it gonna do? Not be as sticky so you have a better chance of not messing the headlights up.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the info! Oh ya my bad i didnt see panel thought u were talking about tinting the tails. Not too sure on that one thou, but i was diffinatly thinking about tinting the lights or something at least.. As far as the springs did it stiffen up your cornering alot?
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

If it were my car...

-Remove side molding (free, easy, looks much better)
-Replace amber signal housings with black housed signals w/ clear lens (very cheap & easy)
-Replace black rear marker lights w/ clear ones (personal preference, black stands out too much on a light car, so why bring attention to the marker lights?)
-Do whistler mod (cheap and easy, looks great, tons of write-ups on here)
-Black Berger panel (gloss, semi-gloss, or satin. Personal preference of course)
-Short antenna

Then, save up money for struts and springs. The car looks good as it is though. I hate snowflakes, but they look wayyyy better painted black.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have Eibach and there starting to show the wear on them cause my back passenger side actually sits lower than the driver side.
I think a lot of them do that, regardless of the type of spring. My suspension is stock, and it does it.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 AM
TECH Junkie

^ I get what your saying but mine is a lot worse than others that have done it on others cars.

Mighty Texan: The tailight panel is easy to do. Takes a couple of hours to do and the worst part of it is sitting and waiting for it to try, LOL. But as far as the springs, I have to think back cause they have been on there for a year and a half to two years now but as far as I can think they did help a little. It wasn't anything dramatic or anything to write home about but you would be able to tell a little difference if you go with springs alone. About the tinted tailights themselves... I had mine done and went to another county here in the state and got a ticket for em cause the officer said that I didn't have my tailights on but it was like 10:30 at night and my headlights were on, now explain that one and to beat all, they were on and I had pics took to prove it no more than 5 min. after I got the ticket. So I ended up wet sanding the VHT off my tail lights and haven't even thought about putting the stuff back on. But it all depends on what you want about the tail lights though as far as if you want em and if you would be left alone by police. And SKZ28 had some other stuff to add to with the shorty antenna but for the rear marker lights, I have black and think they look ok but I've had mine in for nearly 2 and a half years and am thinking of going to chrome housing/clear lense ones just to swap it up a little. Hope all this helps.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Mighty Texan
Thanks for all the info! Oh ya my bad i didnt see panel thought u were talking about tinting the tails. Not too sure on that one thou, but i was diffinatly thinking about tinting the lights or something at least.. As far as the springs did it stiffen up your cornering alot?

Let's Just say. I Love On-ramps

Last edited by dopy; 12-28-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:32 PM
TECH Addict

^ I get what your saying but mine is a lot worse than others that have done it on others cars.

Mighty Texan: The tailight panel is easy to do. Takes a couple of hours to do and the worst part of it is sitting and waiting for it to try, LOL. But as far as the springs, I have to think back cause they have been on there for a year and a half to two years now but as far as I can think they did help a little. It wasn't anything dramatic or anything to write home about but you would be able to tell a little difference if you go with springs alone. About the tinted tailights themselves... I had mine done and went to another county here in the state and got a ticket for em cause the officer said that I didn't have my tailights on but it was like 10:30 at night and my headlights were on, now explain that one and to beat all, they were on and I had pics took to prove it no more than 5 min. after I got the ticket. So I ended up wet sanding the VHT off my tail lights and haven't even thought about putting the stuff back on. But it all depends on what you want about the tail lights though as far as if you want em and if you would be left alone by police. And SKZ28 had some other stuff to add to with the shorty antenna but for the rear marker lights, I have black and think they look ok but I've had mine in for nearly 2 and a half years and am thinking of going to chrome housing/clear lense ones just to swap it up a little. Hope all this helps.
Yeah i found a panel at a junk yard once and was gunna but it to do that but it was bashed a little, which can be fixed, but she still wanted 50 outta it! so yeah i havent done that. I do like doing it on mine cause i may want to switch it back sometime and wouldnt want to have to re paint it or something cause i know it would prob be hard to match up again right
Old 12-28-2010, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

^ Yeah I gotcha man. I was younger when I did mine and wasn't thinking about going back to white if I ever got tired of it lol. But when/if I ever get my car repainted, I think I may try and find another one and have it sprayed white and have the one I got now resprayed matte/satin black instead of fully flat black. But hey man, let us know what you decide and post pics when you get stuff going with the car.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

Still want more ideas on my first post!

Heres an idea i had i havent seen it before either, berger panel or not, i now have black inserts too so try to picture them in there too, sorry old pic. Keeping the tint off the reverse lights to keep them brighter and also keep the lights from looking like "bug eyes" especially if i dont do a berger. Idk let me know what yall think..
Attached Thumbnails Help me pick my next mod!-z3idea2.jpg  
Old 12-28-2010, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Halogen headlights!
Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Tail lights idea? Also i figure i could just put in LEDs for the reverse
Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 AM
TECH Junkie

You can do that cause I've seen it done before but instead of being blocky, I'd follow the lines that separate the different sections to look more smooth. And I know I may get bashed for this but for headlights, I had projectors, two words, hated them. I went back to the factory headlights, cleaned the hell out of them and I'm running 6K HID's in them and have yet to have anything said to me as far as police or have been bright lighted by anyone coming towards me cause if you get them adjusted right, there not gonna blind anyone, even older people. For the tailight panel, if your unsure about it and if you can, take and put vinyl over it that way you can get an idea in person and not from pics cause pics can differ from being in person. Hope this helps brother.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
TECH Addict

Shocks/struts. Don't lower your car with lowering springs without doing shocks/struts at the same time you will regret it big time. Like stated also loose the bodyside moldings or my own personal suggestion get a real catback. LPM is the best color also
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Theres a guy that has some springs and Bilsteins for sale in the Texas Section for $400 I think. Name is "kwiker" I believe.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

You can do that cause I've seen it done before but instead of being blocky, I'd follow the lines that separate the different sections to look more smooth. And I know I may get bashed for this but for headlights, I had projectors, two words, hated them. I went back to the factory headlights, cleaned the hell out of them and I'm running 6K HID's in them and have yet to have anything said to me as far as police or have been bright lighted by anyone coming towards me cause if you get them adjusted right, there not gonna blind anyone, even older people. For the tailight panel, if your unsure about it and if you can, take and put vinyl over it that way you can get an idea in person and not from pics cause pics can differ from being in person. Hope this helps brother.
Yeah i had some extra old tint from the windows i can just use that too to see, Thanks!

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
Shocks/struts. Don't lower your car with lowering springs without doing shocks/struts at the same time you will regret it big time. Like stated also loose the bodyside moldings or my own personal suggestion get a real catback. LPM is the best color also
Yeah im not sure about lowering it now because 1. I was looking in the 12s section and its making me want to go to the track sometime. 2. Yeah the exhaust from the first owner blows and im deffinatly going to be doing LTs either TDs or a catback.. but TDs would be scraping everywhere.. +2 on LPM but like black alot too!

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Theres a guy that has some springs and Bilsteins for sale in the Texas Section for $400 I think. Name is "kwiker" I believe.
Thanks there were some in the classifieds on here along with some kyb's ill prob wait till i see a little better deal thou

Quick Reply: Help me pick my next mod!