Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

A Metal Polished Air Lid?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Metal Polished Air Lid?!?

I have NEVER EVER seen one of these. Now i dont work for the company that sells them so calm down. I am looking for a new air lid since my SLP one rubs BADLY on my SS Hood. I came across this one on Ebay.

I am unsure if I actually like it. But has ANYONE EVER SEEN ONE INSTALLED? I just cant imagine it looking too good.

Anyways, here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8099&viewitem=
Old 02-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FreakishSpeed
I have NEVER EVER seen one of these. Now i dont work for the company that sells them so calm down. I am looking for a new air lid since my SLP one rubs BADLY on my SS Hood. I came across this one on Ebay.

I am unsure if I actually like it. But has ANYONE EVER SEEN ONE INSTALLED? I just cant imagine it looking too good.

Anyways, here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...8099&viewitem=
To me it kinda looks unfinished. like they left a lot of scratches and swirls. in my opinion i dont think it looks good
Old 02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That lid is bad *** and all you need to do is polish it up a lil better. I would trade my MIT CF lid in a heart beat for this one. A guy has one on here with a nice super charger badge on it.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's been talked about before.

Might want to check out this thread it has some cool pics in it.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...l-air-lid.html

But for me it's a bit too much bling.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
On The Tree

wow that airbox is AWESOME!!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stupid
Old 02-07-2011, 11:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

do a search. the SS ebay ones are super heavy, shitty quality/fitment/welding/finish. ie the tb didnt line up w the intake, the box didnt seal to the shroud, etc.

if it was aluminum or light gauge stainless then maybe, if you didnt mind the crazy heat soak vs the nice showeyness.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The one guy that did a lid swap on his LT1 with this lid reported ambient temps at idle and below ambient at speed so not sure how this would be a heatsoak assuming you have a hood to let air in
Old 02-08-2011, 01:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by FreakishSpeed

Anyways, here it is:
I had that lid, and its a cool one... you can get it much cheaper than that.. just search his other ads.. it fits fine but will need some tweaking... i only got rid of mine because the stainless was out of place under my hood.. here are pics of mine installed...

Old 02-08-2011, 01:42 AM
TECH Addict

Seems like it would get pretty hot.. I think it looks good though
Old 02-08-2011, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

nope, doesnt get hot at all.. if you think about it, it never touches metal.. plastic base and bellows is it.. aside from ambient temps, theres nothing to make it get any hotter than the rest of the engine bay.. i really liked my lid a lot, i just wanted something that matched.. whoever wants one should get one.. but with everything custom, expect some fitment tweaks... the AIR hole needs plugged and the iac needs a thicker gromet... you will need to put a seal in the lid too... the fit is actually just as good as my new whisper lid...
Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh but thats the thing, the ambient air in the bay should get absorbed by it. Theres a reason they make radiators black so that the heat transfer or emissitivity is greater. Hell, it prob should matter much though..Specially if your running a cai or something
Old 02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

^ :/ 666th post and i said hell. lol coincidence??
Old 02-08-2011, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

the lid does not get hot.. ive owned it and put about 7k miles on it... NO problems at all... dont listen to anyone else unless they have used it.. I HAVE USED IT.. it is an awesome lid.. really.. here is all i had to do to use it:

IAC sensor gromet hole is bigger than the stock one, get a bigger one from Autozone... cost me $2

Plug the AIR hole in the side if you dont have it... you can use the plug from the !help section in the store.. the one where you tighten the bolt and nut and it compresses the rubber gromet and makes it swell.. i used the same one when i plugged my EGR hole on top of my intake.. or a 1 1/8" body plug or similar will work too
$3 maybe...

put a seal on the inside of the lid.. all lids have it so its not like your using "african inginuity" on it... i got a whole roll for $4

the neck is exactly 90mm, the maf end will fit if you file the edge of it off smooth instead of having that little v hump on the end of it.. i used a fernco fitting on mine, or you can slit the ends like most of the plastic ones are.. the neck is long on purpose, you can easily cut it down...

That lid is worth it, and every time you raise your hood people will notice it... the only reason i traded for my whisper lid is because i am going to put an acrylic plaque behind a cutout with an led in it..
Old 02-08-2011, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There was a guy on here not too long ago who bought one off Ebay(i dont know if its any of the previous posters) But you might be able to find his thread. He said it fit like ****, the weld's looked like pigeon ****, and it had swirl/scratches all over it, i honestly have never seen or used one though. My honest opinion thou is i think it looks cheap and tacky, i would not own/buy one.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

not a fan of it
Old 02-09-2011, 05:39 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah not a fan,and for who ever said someone has one with a supercharger logo on it,I'm sure that is the pro charger kit,not a air lid .this might look good with some kind of decal or something on it,but by it self it doesn't look good imho,maybe with one of these on there it would look better if there was a lot of bling going on,(not my car another members)

Quick Reply: A Metal Polished Air Lid?!?