Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DDM Tuning issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011 | 11:55 PM
cpo
TECH Apprentice

Angry DDM Tuning issues

Those ******* got me again today. Ordered a fog light kit, and get an email hours later saying they are on back-order. No mention of this through the whole selecting and buying process. Same bullshit happened last month when I ordered an H1 kit. And to make matters worse, one bulb looks 4500k and the other around 6000k.

They are not a sponsor here, but I bought from them solely because of the many recommendations I've seen here.

Also, there is a disputed rumor they really only have 4 (they advertise 7) type of bulb colors (kelvin): 3000k, 4700k, 7000k, and 12,000k.

Lastly, the owner officially announced they will stop selling HID Kits on 1 March 2011. Says they will keep enough spares to honor the lifetime warranties, guess we'll see how that works out...
Old 02-11-2011 | 12:24 AM
On The Tree

I'm interested in hearing the outcome of this. Got many Hid kits on a couple of my cars.
Old 02-11-2011 | 12:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Considering I live 20 minutes from them I can guarantee that they have all colors. I have 5K fogs, my friends have 6/8K. They have a pretty big inventory, hard to see why they are on backorder
Old 02-11-2011 | 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was literally going to buy these this afternoon when I get off work. Glad you said something. I may give them a call and see whats up.

Edit: I found this on their homepage...

We are your source for the most advanced performance and styling options available.

We are proud to be distributors of the most prestigious manufacturers of automotive performance products including DEPO lighting, Eagle Eyes, Turner Motorsports, UUC, Apexcone, Active Autowerke, Audio-Link, Bilstein, H&R and many others as well as our own DDM manufactured products.

Note: We are well into our planned realignment on product lines. Every day we are receiving more and more product lines and are working hard to integrate them into the system. This will be leading to some changes to our operation that you, our customers, will start to see online and at our retail facilities and warehouses. In the beginning, to deal with a new wholesale structure, you may see some long time products disappear temporarily from the website. This will mostly affect new customers; existing customers should be unaffected. If you don't see what you are looking for, create a user account and we will as quickly as possible set your account status and email you back. Also, we need to completely rearrange our warehouses to setup everything for new kinds of bulk storage. Assembly lines also must be realigned for small bin picking. Additionally, we will be moving many commodity items from shipping from our facilities to using fulfillment services before, during and after we reorganize. Its likely that we will also temporarily close one or more walk-in facilities for a day or two as we rearrange. Lastly, once we get all of this under control, there will be some more changes as we will be moving out of our existing location in San Diego, which is really too small, to a new location, probably in June. We are actively searching for a location near our current location to minimize disruptions to customers and employees. The existing San Diego location will be in use also until the end of July so there will be plenty of opportunity for everyone to know where we are going in advance.

Please bear with us during our online and physical remodeling. Our phone support for sales and customer service will not be affected. In the end, we will be all that much bigger, more efficient and as great a value as we have always been known for.
Old 02-11-2011 | 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Although they do have a high reputation, arent most of the xenon hid kits the same thing? I would prefer to get from them because most people are satisfied, but if its mainly the same product...
Old 02-11-2011 | 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

I just bought a set of HIDs from them and had no problems with anything. Everything came on time and was just what I ordered. It all worked with no problems too. For every horror story about them Ive heard 1000 more good stories.

Just email them and im sure they will make things right by you.
Old 02-11-2011 | 01:13 AM
On The Tree

Ive had a 6k hid lows and fogs in from them for over 6 months now, no problems!
Old 02-11-2011 | 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

just got my 10000k fogs and 6000k lows in last week from em.. i ordered them the week prior to that and mine were on back order for a week..no biggie....just be patient, theyll come. In their defense they are doing a big move and opening new stores right now...
Old 02-11-2011 | 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic
20 Year Member

DDM is not a company I would be wasting my money with. I had originally planned to order a kit from them but never did because I knew the light output would be ****. Please don't be that dick on the road with HIDs in a halogen housing...

Anyway, concerning their 4 color only inventory. If that were incorrect, this lawsuit wouldn't have been filed...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1438/...38e404ec_o.jpg
Old 02-11-2011 | 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

I bought a set of slim ballast 5500k from them last year. A week later 1 ballast went out, i called, emailed etc..after a week i finally got through to someone to get the RMA process going, and that's all that happened. They never took care of the issue. Couple months later the other one went out and same thing. Fortunately I had a couple old ballasts laying around that I used (as a temporary setup then waiting for the new DDMs), but are now permanent i guess.

I'll never buy from DDM again. In fact I just bought a random set on ebay, and one ballast died after 1 day, they sent me a new one the next day.
Old 02-11-2011 | 11:19 AM
Teching In

I have issue with there returns process as well. They sent me a dead ballast to begin with. Then i had to pay to ship it back to them, and there was a 2 week turn around time. No way i would buy from them again.
Old 02-11-2011 | 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Maybe there reputation is going down the drain, seems like there are more and more complaints
Old 02-11-2011 | 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I talked to a pro HID guy who mentioned many issues with DDM stuff. It's all really cheap. The bulbs run hotter than most, melting some shrouds used for retrofits, while decent bulbs do not. The light output is lower than better kits of the same wattage because more of that power is turned into heat with the DDM bulbs.

He also mentioned the inconsistency with their color output (I've seen complaints of that many times as well). Also how the arc inside isn't centered consistently either, making them not work as well or create weird cutoff issues with some projectors.

Now he did say their ballasts aren't too bad, and typically aren't the issue. Mainly their bulbs are cheap junk.

HIDplanet doesn't think too highly of DDM.

Just throwing that info out there.
Old 02-11-2011 | 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

To the OP at least you got an email that they were on backorder. I waited over a week then called only to find out the kit I ordered wasn't even in stock and they had no idea when they would get more. When I searched for hids here I don't remember seeing anything negative about them like there is in this thread. Now I'm second guessing having purchased anything from them.
Old 02-11-2011 | 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

So, where is another good place to get hid kits from?
Old 02-11-2011 | 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
So, where is another good place to get hid kits from?
And without spending an arm and a leg..
Old 02-11-2011 | 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

i never had a problem with them and my friends were on backorder last week and he just got them on wednesday. yea my fogs are not the exact color i ordered (5k headlights and maybe 4.3k but i just dont feel like taking it apart to send back and wait for new ones) but when i emailed them i got a responce maybe 2 days after and all they needed was a picture.
sorry for the bad luck op maybe i just got to them early because the set i bought are not even up on the sight anymore
Old 02-11-2011 | 11:42 PM
TECH Junkie

My ebay kit is going on 2 years. Paid $60 shipped for them.
Old 02-12-2011 | 03:02 PM
Staging Lane

Apparently DDM has been caught in an ongoing scam. I ran into this online after word spread that they are closing down HID sales entirely, wanted to further investigate and see why in the world they would do such a thing. This may also be informational for those of you that have bought from them before, and for those of you that plan to buy from them. I am assuming their lifetime warranties are now void, but i'm not for certain, you will probably need to contact them to verify that.

Cliff notes of the pic below:

-they only carry 4 different colors but they advertise 7 different ones (or more if you contact them directly). So you pay for one color and they knowingly send you the wrong colors. ie. Bait and switch.

-they falsify import documents from China showing that they are importing lighting for 'stone mining' equipment to avoid customs

Also I apologize in advance for this gigantic image but its got a lot of info on it.

(this image is not mine, i found it online detailing the situation)

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2...338e404eco.jpg

I got mine from Stepen Shaar. www.hiddirectllc.com

Last edited by 01SSNBM; 02-12-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-12-2011 | 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
DDM is not a company I would be wasting my money with. I had originally planned to order a kit from them but never did because I knew the light output would be ****. Please don't be that dick on the road with HIDs in a halogen housing...

Anyway, concerning their 4 color only inventory. If that were incorrect, this lawsuit wouldn't have been filed...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1438/...38e404ec_o.jpg
Holy **** thanks for the link ! Never bought from them but this makes sure I never will .

Quick Reply: DDM Tuning issues