Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Dementia's stab at TA HID retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellsworth
How do you do the "lazy eye" mod?

I need to order some new headlights, and all this projector HID crap confuses me lol. I just want a basic plug and play kit that has a nice blue tint to it and actually helps me see. anyone PM me some info it would be GREATLY appreciated.
If you want the plug and play route, get a hold of BLSolutions. If you want to do it completely custom. get on hidplanet.com and theretrofitsource.com and make some yourself like I did
Old 02-15-2011, 05:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have part numbers for the DIY guys out there?
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nnag
this car has the aps twin setup right? Saw it at clints shop last year, very clean car. Interested in seeing more details on the lights.
yup thats mine. clint did an awesome job. i was hoping for 500hp with the 7.5lb springs that came with the kit but he got me 100hp more and everything looked good on the tune. hopefully i'll be seeing some upgraded turbos after a few months and i'll have clint update the tune. not looking for more power at this point just want turbos that i wont have to worry about breaking. I might just wait till i get all the parts for my next round of mods.

next up after that i'm planning on a monster twin disc, mwc 9", and weld rts.
those will probably all go on at the same time. All of those unfortunately are probably going to take me a while to scrounge up but hey, this car is ultimately my lifelong project so time is something i definitely have. After those mods are done i'll just do piece by piece mods with the suspension to help my baby lose some weight and plant the power.

A built engine would be my last big mod but i'm really hoping the stock block lasts through all these mods before i "have" to upgrade the engine. Till then though, just the cheap dress up mods along the way

If the end result turns out decent i'll give some pointers for those of you looking to do the same. After i get these ones finished up I'm going to try my hand at a static light setup. I decided to go the partially opened route first since i figured it would be the easiest of the 2 to fabricate and i definitely want this thing up and running for this summer. I miss taking the girl for a cruise through the mountains for hot dogs lol.

As far as progress, i messed around with some scrap plexi glass i had lying around. I made a rough draft lens (and i do mean rough) but i was definitely happy to see the end results. It resulted in the shape of my lens clearing the bumper completely. I only made it 3 inches deep (which ended up being too short as when the lights were opened you could see the bottom edge of the lens above the lip of the bumper). A quick trip to the hardware store and a few bucks later, i now have myself some lexan pieces. I went with the medium grade lexan lowes caried (proported to be 250x stronger than glass, shatterproof, and gauranteed not to yellow from sun exposure for 10 years...i know i know they probably wont ever see sun but hey its a perk). I was really tempted to use the top of the line lexan they caried which was considerably stronger than the lexan i bought but they only had it in these huge sheets at $60 a pop. Lol maybe if i ever produce something worth selling and want to make a few bucks i'd go that route but the sheet i got was enough for 4 lenses and only ran me $11. I've gotten that sheet cut down (to the 4 pieces mentioned) and after fudging up one made 2 perfectly bent ones. I'm straying from the bends in my rough draft as i didnt like the creases so much but essentially its going to have one crease on the outer edge (approximately 35*) and then the front portion is going to be flexed into shape rather than me shaping it with heat as i did on my rough draft. the lexan is more than flexible enough to handle the slight bend it'll be under and it'll give the overall front a very smooth look. Perhaps after i get it bolted down in its final flexed shape i'll hit it with some heat to help relax some of the stress it'll be under. Not sure if its worth the risk as the flex will be minor but i'll experiment and see whats best. After i get these cut down into shape and mounted i'm going to work on the inner "shroud" if you will. since the morimoto was meant to be place inside of a sealed enclosure i need to figure out a way to encase my projectors so as to keep them clear from debris and moisture. I know i'm making baby steps right now, the R&D is a learning experience. Hopefully I'll have some progress pics soon. I was rushed making my rough draft lens and dont have much to show for it at the moment.

Last edited by dementia; 02-15-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know this is an old thread, but did you ever seal them up or finish the retrofit? I'm interested.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:53 PM
TECH Resident

sad to say no i never finished this, things just kept coming up. So i put the stock-ish setup back on and have been doing that since.

I'll probably be toying around with the light setup more after the beginnning of next year. Right now I've got my exhaust setup to worry about. I have emissions coming up in March and i'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say my downpipe dumps are not going to fly w/ the testing station. I'm about to drop the coin for the kooks true duals system. Going to try and have the local exhaust shop chop the ends of my stock cats, weld on some adapter pipes and flanges and make a section of the kooks setup into interchangeable race pipes so that i can just swap on the cats for emissions and take them off afterwards. Hopefully prolonging the life of the cats. These are my 3rd set already luckily the first 2 were covered under warranty but I'm willing to bet that if these were to go out again the dealership would charge me the full price for them since i now have a twin setup. So the kooks and I'd like to get a lil something something for the APS setup, with any luck i'll be able to do that soon too. Those are my top priorities w/ the car currently. I'd also like to get the new SuperHawk hood painted relatively soon. Why does this hobby gotta be so expensive?

I'm hoping that after i get past the emissions though then i'll be able to provide some new progress pics/updates for this site. I do have a completely different direction that I'd like to explore w/ the headlights from what i've posted already. I wont let the cat out of the bag just yet on what i have planned but lets just say it'll definitely be a one of a kind thus far if i can pull it off. If i cant, or if it turns out looking less than how i'm imagining it in my head then i'll continue w/ the setup that i've started with this thread. Didnt know people were looking for me to finish this setup i just happened to come across this thread and said hey that looks familiar lol.
Old 10-15-2011, 12:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

No worries man. How's it like fitting the minis in that tight space? I'm debating whether to go that route or the fx-r if I can get it to fit.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

The mini's fit tight the way I had it so without heavy modification (cutting the stock light seats) I doubt anything larger will fit. Initially I wanted to do fxr's as well but played it safe and went with the mini's as their output is very good and they're bi xenons so I only needed one set.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Got any pics of the housings without the lights on?
Old 10-16-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by no juice
got any pics of the housings without the lights on?
+1...
Old 10-17-2011, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

This is the best lights off pic i have of it, i know it doesnt show much but its what i've got.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

I was in the process of doing almost this exact same thing (this is actually the first I've seen of this thread... I thought I was doing something completely original >.<). I couldn't get the projector mounted as cleanly as I would have liked, so I went with a completely different idea. I'll have pictures up once I finish up, which should be soon, so keep an eye on my thread:

Alternate Headlight Lifters?
Old 10-18-2011, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dementia
They're morimoto minis (bixenon projectors) with DDM 8k bulbs. I was originally going to go with a bigger projector to get a 3in diameter lense (FX-R) but i'm definitely glad i didnt. Theres not a whole lot of room under the flip up lenses to fit a projector much bigger than the mini's (2.5in diameter lens). I know i dont have much said about the flip up lights but I've modified it so that it only opens up to the point you see. Surprisingly that was the easy part of the project thus far lol.

I dont recall the name of the cruise but i believe i have the picture folders labeled by date (possibly) on my pc. Once i get things squared away w/ the apartment complex and my life gets back to normal i'll post up some pics to see if it refreshes your memory on what cruise it was.
On the retrofitsource website, the mini d2s, mini h1, and the fx-r are all listed as having a 2.5" lens diameter. Maybe the fx-r won't be much harder to fit in there.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got the pics from that cruise you were talking about? lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dabest09
On the retrofitsource website, the mini d2s, mini h1, and the fx-r are all listed as having a 2.5" lens diameter. Maybe the fx-r won't be much harder to fit in there.
The body of the FX & FX-R is taller/wider/longer.

SCRWS6's using BMW/Audi Foglight Projectors:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...rs-no-56k.html

He ended up making it single-xenon to fit. However, I think it can me made to work without such drastic changes.

He also mounted the plastic sheet between the 2 halves, which you shouldn't do because it will effect output and the cut-off.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Yea the size of the FX-R casing is what prevented me from using it in the first place but with what i have in mind for my next go at this I might just use them since it looks like the casings are completely enclosed (my biggest complaint about the mini's since during tinkering with them dust would collect inside the lens and reflector and it seemed like no matter what i'd do, there would always be at least 1 spec of dust visible once the lights were on, maybe I'm being OCD about it but that **** annoys me) and i should have quite a bit more room with what i have in mind.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:33 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

The FX & FX-R are not sealed. Dirt and water will still get into them. They need to be put inside a housing of some sort to protect them.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
Got the pics from that cruise you were talking about? lol.
Haha I was thinking the same thing I wanna see zl1's car
Old 10-25-2011, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by VIP1
The FX & FX-R are not sealed. Dirt and water will still get into them. They need to be put inside a housing of some sort to protect them.
Thanks for the tip, i couldnt really tell from the pics. Guess for the size i'll just stick w/ the minis. Unfotunately no pics that i took. I can try to see if others from the cruise have any up but i havent seen any yet.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make some thermoformed covers like many others on this site did and then seal those minis! I want someone else to do this the right way before I attempt it lol.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you just change the stop on how high the headlight was raised to give it that look? What I mean is, is that all you had to do with that?

I understand you have to reposition projector and fab up some mounts, do you have any pics of that?

Quick Reply: Dementia's stab at TA HID retrofit