Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Project OVRKILL: The BLING Phase!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013 | 11:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LPE 403
I think that looks WWAAAYYYY better than stock Brent. Just my opinion.
Old 04-13-2013 | 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tones2SS
I think that looks WWAAAYYYY better than stock Brent. Just my opinion.
Thanks buddy!!

Tweaks for what I call "the final phase" (fingers crossed) are underway and, like every other time it ends up on a lift, more **** comes apart then planned

Ran into a little heat issue after SEMA with the gas tank that deserved some obvious attention. Still not sure how this happened yet....but it's fixed now.

Donated tank from a V6....and some "insurance" heat mat.

Because of the apparent exhaust issue, decided to make a few "while we're at it" adjustments. One of the add-ons will be in the form of some SS shielding tacked to the pipes in areas of heat concern....pics later. My favorite is a serviceability mod. If for some reason I needed drop a portion of the exhaust, decide to run the car without cats later, etc....it would be a major PITA. Enter V-band couplers....

(Crazy how orange the pipes look in that ^^^^ pic.....REALLY hot some bitch)

Last but not least....K-member interference to oil pan (UMI vs Moroso) which, by this pic you can see rubbed a little prior to giving it a little clearance.

More to come....maybe an angry dyno vid
Old 04-13-2013 | 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Car is looking great, been following your thread for awhile now! That gas tank scares me though
Old 04-13-2013 | 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LunarWillow
Car is looking great, been following your thread for awhile now! That gas tank scares me though
Thanks! Lol...scared the hell out of me too. Fix is easy....just unfortunate.

Last edited by LPE 403; 04-13-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2013 | 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

How did those pipes turn that orange? Was it really that HOT? Lot's of dyno runs so not much airflow to cool them down, or what?
Old 04-13-2013 | 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

BEAUTIFUL. I really like all the little details like repainting the shocks and filling the seams in the engine bay.

PS...Can I have your motor lol.
Old 04-13-2013 | 08:47 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Interesting on the tank, I have the same worries with mine. Since we have near identical set ups back there.

I have the exhaust installed but plan to pull the back half. Which insulation did you use. I bought some of the DEI product, I did the floor over the drivers side cats with it too.

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...und-insulation

I think I will wrap the pipes over the axle too.
Old 04-13-2013 | 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

looks baller man
Old 04-14-2013 | 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
How did those pipes turn that orange? Was it really that HOT? Lot's of dyno runs so not much airflow to cool them down, or what?
Car hasn't run on a dyno yet.....basically limping around with a startup tune. It definately happened while at SEMA. Lots of idling, long slow rides, etc. The biggest miss was not checking clearances prior to.

Originally Posted by Mr. Trick
BEAUTIFUL. I really like all the little details like repainting the shocks and filling the seams in the engine bay.

PS...Can I have your motor lol.
Thank you. It's gonna bum me out to pull it all apart to go to Koni's, but I have an idea or two on how those will look

PS...everything is for sale

Originally Posted by RAMPANT
Interesting on the tank, I have the same worries with mine. Since we have near identical set ups back there.

I have the exhaust installed but plan to pull the back half. Which insulation did you use. I bought some of the DEI product, I did the floor over the drivers side cats with it too.

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...und-insulation

I think I will wrap the pipes over the axle too.
I know...you and I talked about it and now we know what happens if precautions arent taken. This was an install issue plain and simple....without going into a lot of detail, exhaust is too damn long between headers and axle. After thinking about it and noticing a witness mark on the rear end, it appears the rear end drove the pipes upward when the suspension was loaded which ended up resting on the tank.

Not wrapping the pipes though....stay tuned for pics....going to tack on a couple threaded stand-offs to the pipes and make an aluminum shield that will be fastened via screws. Of course, I could just wrap them but that would be easy

Originally Posted by Yun Gunz
looks baller man
Appreciate it

Last edited by LPE 403; 04-14-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-18-2013 | 08:12 AM
Launching!

While I'm still waiting for go-fast parts to be finished, I'm in the "what else can I do?" mode....

Bilstein make-over! Yellow and blue were not going cut it!! Hard to tell in these pics but I used a light silver metallic to match the V caipers. Didn't come out to bad...

I hope you take this as a compliment to your good work, but I'm about to do the same thing, for the same reason... Yellow and blue =

Did you sand the original paint first or just spray away? I'm going with Storm Gray Metallic and black (matches the car)
Old 04-18-2013 | 09:03 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by juSStin4171
I hope you take this as a compliment to your good work, but I'm about to do the same thing, for the same reason... Yellow and blue =

Did you sand the original paint first or just spray away? I'm going with Storm Gray Metallic and black (matches the car)
Pretty much that simple. Prepped, paint and cleared the hell out of them. FYI, dont paint the dust boots like I did....I knew it wasnt going to stick (lol, and it doesnt), but did it anyway. Bilstein has a mold-in-color black boot for their shocks - which I have now. You may have to call around to one of their dealers to locate.
Old 04-29-2013 | 04:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice detail work. I wish you lived closer. I'll call you the next time I go to Detroit.
Old 04-29-2013 | 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

and 30 pages and 592 posts later i'm just amazed!!!! epic build thread!!!!!!
Old 04-29-2013 | 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stage7
Nice detail work. I wish you lived closer. I'll call you the next time I go to Detroit.
Thanks buddy. Love to have ya out. Bumped your thread about an ITB "get together" on your side of the map.

Originally Posted by King Nothing
and 30 pages and 592 posts later i'm just amazed!!!! epic build thread!!!!!!
Thanks man! Hoping the end is near. Tomorrow is a big day
Old 04-29-2013 | 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

what is in store for tomorrow??????
Old 04-30-2013 | 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

what is in store for tomorrow??????
Confirmed today some disassembly is in order thanks to a bad lifter

Here's the fun part....you can't pull this intake in this bay without doing one of two things:

1. Drop the engine
2. Dismantle the intake.......one piece at a time

Decision.....don't drop the engine. Seems like this thing should come apart and go back together easy enough

Hell, if there's a silver lining here, I may even pull off a cosmetic upgrade or two while its apart
Old 05-01-2013 | 02:23 AM
TECH Veteran

smart move to drop it so you can pull the heads real fast and install fast too! bad lifter like wrong length pushrod?
Old 05-01-2013 | 03:52 AM
TECH Addict

smart move to drop it so you can pull the heads real fast and install fast too! bad lifter like wrong length pushrod?
NOT dropping the engine. Don't have to pull the heads either....RHS block, ftw! Lifters are accessible thru windows in the valley.
Old 05-01-2013 | 05:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hope it's quick and easy for you. Sh&t happens, especially on the road less traveled.
Old 05-01-2013 | 09:34 AM
TECH Veteran

NOT dropping the engine. Don't have to pull the heads either....RHS block, ftw! Lifters are accessible thru windows in the valley.
wow for some reason i was thinking you need to drop the engine to change out lifters

Quick Reply: Project OVRKILL: The BLING Phase!!!