Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I wanted mine to match.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

HID's look good, but I think somebody needs to figure out a way to affordably retrofit some projectors into the firebird housings. A buddy of mine is all about retrofitting stuff he does FD's, FC's, Miatas, Supras, RSX's and a couple other cars. I'm trying to convince him to look into our cars. All these DIY HID threads are popping up all over tech now don't get me wrong they look cool, but they can't be very safe as far as light output and blinding people. To the op your set up looks pretty cool.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

If I drove my car more than once a week I would have bought the bsl kit. Later down the road I am going to make my own projector housings so it will be correct.

The more blue they look, the more blinding they are. Mine are EXTREMELY bright but not blinding, this is because of the temp and how I have them pointing. When I move my lows down a notch on temp I dont think I will ever get flashed, I very very rarely do now. Not only will I have more light output it won't seem as bliding to oncomers, win win.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by metalmilitia606
HID's look good, but I think somebody needs to figure out a way to affordably retrofit some projectors into the firebird housings. A buddy of mine is all about retrofitting stuff he does FD's, FC's, Miatas, Supras, RSX's and a couple other cars. I'm trying to convince him to look into our cars. All these DIY HID threads are popping up all over tech now don't get me wrong they look cool, but they can't be very safe as far as light output and blinding people. To the op your set up looks pretty cool.
Most people won't pay $300+ to DIY retrofit random projectors into F-bodies. The methods have been out for years, and people have been doing it for years, but it has never caught on because people aren't too keen on DIY. They want something name-brand, plug-n-play, and idiot-proof. How do I know? I'm one of them.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Simple fact.. The vast majority of us will spend 500$ on a set of headers, converter, intake, etc... Something to make us go faster, hook better, etc. If people can spend less than 100$ and get similar results and spend the other 400$ on performance parts that is what they are going to do.
On BMW, acura, vw, etc sites where the vast majority cares about appearance mods first, they will do the opposite. They will spend 500$ on lights and then only 100$ on performance and be happy.

It has nothing to do with one platform doing it the right or wrong way or more or less intelligent people, it has to do with priorities. And lights aren't high in the majority of fbody owners eyes.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Well stated. I put them off about as long as i can though definatly true though appearence is the last mod i usualy think about
Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Most people won't pay $300+ to DIY retrofit random projectors into F-bodies. The methods have been out for years, and people have been doing it for years, but it has never caught on because people aren't too keen on DIY. They want something name-brand, plug-n-play, and idiot-proof. How do I know? I'm one of them.
That's half the fun though is trying to figure it out ha ha. I agree though typically f-body people don't spend money on appearance mods. I bet that if there was a cheaper way to do HID's the right way people would jump all over it.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

My bad. I was misinformed on the color then. No reason to be a ******** about it. btw I adjusted my headlights correctly and didn't get flashed once compared to the 15 times I got flashed 2 nights ago. But I'm happy with my headlights. between my new turnsignal housings and Switchbacks along with everything to make the HIDs happen I have about $270 in all of it.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you have sort of a problem? You are so defensive in your posts. Nobody was being a ******** about anything. Calm yourself down a level or two and don't jump to things so quick. We are all men here, grow some thicker skin and just roll with it.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 AM
TECH Addict

No, no problem. just a stressful week at work I guess? building turbo setups that weigh almost as much as a car is kind of a PITA. My apologies. anyway, nice lookin car. I always thought white was 5000k and 4300k was yellow. But it looks like I've been a shade off.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just for FYI, OP.. If you ever wanted a cheaper DIY alternative to an expensive housing. The FX35 or FX45 projector housings can be had for $40/ea. Just another alternative for ya.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

yea i was look for a projector style housing....i found one, but it looked very cheap, and it didnt say waht size it was so i said **** it and baught the lmc housings.. ill def check those out. if i like em ill just sell mine and buy those thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
just for FYI, OP.. If you ever wanted a cheaper DIY alternative to an expensive housing. The FX35 or FX45 projector housings can be had for $40/ea. Just another alternative for ya.
Where? Link? I need to replace the DEPO projectors in my dad's Benz.

Quick Reply: Got my HIDs and DRL switchbacks in.