Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Led switchbacks, the one no one makes....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Led switchbacks, the one no one makes....

I want a switchback led that glows white for running lights. Day and night. I want it to blink amber When I hit the turn signal. Car is a 98 trans am. Does anyone make this? I've been looking for a while and I'm seeing that our wiring is busted, making switchbacks not work right, if someone knows how to fix the wiring I'm game for that too..

Last edited by t/a98; 02-24-2011 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Blackbirdws6 uses switchbacks that do just that. Purchased from Autolumination (hope I don't cause trouble for that because I'm not sure if any sponsors sell them).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...mods-pics.html

As far as I know, he just used an electronic flasher (EL-12) to make it work.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine from V-LED's are always white and blink amber.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes that's what I use and works fine. Don't go any higher than a 48 LED switchback since it appears the 60s get fried easily. I has a 20 or whatever count switchback work fine for years before upgrading to the 48s without issue.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll look into it some more but I thought all those brands glow amber and blink amber with headlights off, but turn white then blink amber with headlights on.

Ps, talking about non sponsors is fine, just don't post prices or links to their website is where problems arise.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...itchbacks.html

Notice how his are amber with the lights off, but white with the lights on, I would prefer it to not look like that. He doesn't mention a brand but I'll ask him what brand he's using.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...itchbacks.html

These are auto illumination brand. I would get their type two if I couldn't work around it. These are type 1 I believe, but notice how they are also amber with headlights down and white with headlights up...

Last edited by t/a98; 02-24-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Autolumination 48's.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfEm1WPDVJk

I did the !DRL, but they normally light up white with the DRL, running lights, and flash amber with turn signals.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love switchbacks. I was thinking about something like this for my car down the road. (right now a turn signal is burned out all together, but it's a low priority since.. well.. it's not really safe to drive right now lol.)

danny, that shot's during the day, are they really that bright? I used to run LEDs YEARS ago back when clear taillights were popular.. almost got rearended a lot because of them. If I go with LEDs in the front like this I want to make sure they have excellent daylight visibility.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DarkFox118
I love switchbacks. I was thinking about something like this for my car down the road. (right now a turn signal is burned out all together, but it's a low priority since.. well.. it's not really safe to drive right now lol.)

danny, that shot's during the day, are they really that bright? I used to run LEDs YEARS ago back when clear taillights were popular.. almost got rearended a lot because of them. If I go with LEDs in the front like this I want to make sure they have excellent daylight visibility.
Yep, they are as bright as seen in the video..... perfect match with the rest of the lights
Old 02-24-2011, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So Danny why does yours work like I want an the video I posted is all wrong.. This is confusing. Do you have type one or type 2? The only explanation I can think of is yours are 48 and his were 60's... I think you've convinced me to go autoillumination, don't know if I'll order tomorrow or next pay day, I'll keep it updated though.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One last question. Can anyone tell me the difference between the cheaper 48 bulb and the one that's twice as much? one uses smt LEDs and one doesn't specify what kind. They both switchback... I would post prices to make it easier but I believe that's against the rules..
Old 02-25-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
Yep, they are as bright as seen in the video..... perfect match with the rest of the lights
oh yea.. that reminds me.. they'll look like that at night too.

grr.. what I need are switch backs that are white when the headlights are off, but yellow when they are on.

now THAT'S a switchback no one makes..

I wonder if some custom wiring would accomplish this?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Launching!

Its going to come down to custom wiring. Its NOT the bulb. Its the way the circuit in the car is designed. It uses the "amber circuit" for the default output but then switches to the "white circuit" as the default when the headllights are turned on.

You could put the bulb in a car with a more basic circuit and it will be white all the time and blink amber.

I'm actually looking into a work around for our cars.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the video Danny2tek, let me ask you this. How do they light up with only fogs on? In other words, when you're runnin with the parking lights and fog lights on only... no headlights.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

ZROCWS6 is correct, it is simply the way GM put the circuit together for our DRLs...the solid white/blinking amber will happen with headlights on, but not with them off. Also I have the 60-LED bulbs from V-LEDS.com and they have worked flawlessly for a year now.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
Thanks for the video Danny2tek, let me ask you this. How do they light up with only fogs on? In other words, when you're runnin with the parking lights and fog lights on only... no headlights.
white, amber only turns on just for the turn signal
Old 04-01-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I recently put the autolum 48 switch backs in my z28 and they aren't that white or bright, I have cool white 194 LEDs from superbright for the side markers and the out shine the bigger bulb are whiter...the 48s are kind of blue and think when I turn the signal on the whole bulb lights up whiteish blue and amber, the white doesn't shut off with the signals light up amber (headlights on)
Old 04-01-2011, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^ sorry kinda hard to read I blame my phone

Quick Reply: Led switchbacks, the one no one makes....