Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

mix of LS1 formula/TA NEED Opinion's and your PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok guys, i was feeling a little froggy tonight, so i decides to take off my spoiler to see what im in for. only 8 10mm nuts hold it on. unplgged the 3rd brake light, and it was off. in literally 5 minutes. the hatch isnt metal, either fiberglass or plastic, didnt really take the time to define. either way, a DA sander will smooth it out fine. fill the holes with bondo, resand, and im ready to install my new spoiler. car looks HIDEOUS without spoiler tho. haha! i took some pics for you guys. it'll be more than a couple weeks now b4 i get my spoiler.... freakin regulator on my altornator went out. and ive just let it go, bc i have more import stuff you know. and its almost ruined the battery. :/ really depends on if i can sell my high rise and rear TA bumper on Craigslist tho. anyway, heres the pics.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love these wheels..no rivets
Old 03-11-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Regular

actually just decided to go with those. only the deep dish version.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:24 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah that pic of the white ta is pretty bad ***
Old 03-12-2011, 06:35 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know man its your call,I really like the formulas how they are,but good luck,
Old 03-12-2011, 07:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

id recomend fiberglassing over the holes and putting some sort of backing behind them... bondo is going to crack out eventually
Old 03-12-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Regular

BOBS99SS
yeah that pic of the white ta is pretty bad ***
hell yeah it is. and its just a cool bonus that its resurrecting the old style of the trans am, with a sleek design of the new gens. i love it. but the front was done with the shaker design, its cool, but nothing really compares to that trans am WS6 front clip.

Last edited by Numba20; 03-12-2011 at 08:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

BOBS99SS
I don't know man its your call,I really like the formulas how they are,but good luck
well im going to try it and hope for the best!! haha
Old 03-12-2011, 08:36 AM
TECH Regular

maxplusten
id recomend fiberglassing over the holes and putting some sort of backing behind them... bondo is going to crack out eventually
well all of the holes are smaller than a penny in circumfrence. except the hole the wires for the 3rd brake light run thru. its pretty good sized. i planned on doing something of the sort with that hole.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

nice nice, and yes LG Motorsports was the company that makes that gdfx kit I referenced, I knew it was L? Motorsports and didn't wanna botch it lmao. I'm definitely looking forward to this build thread
Old 03-12-2011, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

RacingTiger03 [>]
nice nice, and yes LG Motorsports was the company that makes that gdfx kit I referenced, I knew it was L? Motorsports and didn't wanna botch it lmao. I'm definitely looking forward to this build thread
simple mistake, very similar companies, very similar names. happens to us all. I wish i could be putting the wing on now! lol but got to buy an altornator first, then the spoiler. along with some tiger hair and resin! btw thanks maxplusten, cracking wasnt even on my mind. i woulda been pissed if i got new paint a year down the road, and found cracks starting!
Old 08-07-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

ok guys, im totally reviving this thread from the dead.... but i have an EXCELLENT reason. lol i bought the freedom designs spoiler and got it on my TA. i personally love the way it looks.... some may not. any1 feel free to chime in. the goal here was to do a retro-throwback look, and to be unique. i nailed it in my opinion. but i know some of you following were wanting to see how this turned out bc you were thinking of doing the same. i have 18 pics of all the progess, start to finish. and i will tell all about the experience, and point out all the different ways to go, set backs to each choice and such. and ways to enhance the look.

okay, i started by completely shaving my hatch smooth. i set the spoiler on with 3m double sided adhesive tape. i moved it around to almost every angle you could imagin. what i found was the more verticle the spoiler is, the more agressive and better it looks. of course the hatch flow down at the end so this is opposite of what you want. i used bondo-glass short strand fiber hair putty to build up the back side. Now the spoiler i bought was a 1-piece. and in order to make it the correct width, it had to be slid too far up away from the tail lights. i didnt like where it sat. so i took out a 2 inch section in the middle of the spoiler. fitted it up and it looked pleasing. so i began the mounting process. i used 4, 2 inch long, 1/4 inch thick screws with 1 inch washers on each side. since i cut my spoiler in two pieces, i was able to start the srcew and washer inside the spoiler and run it thru my hatch where another washer was placed before a bolt. i did this on the outer corners of the hatch, and also 2 spaced about 8 inches apart in the middle. to help secure the front down and give me the angle i want i cut the bottom panel of my hatch under the interior panel, and drilled 6 self tapping screws thru to the front portion of the spoiler. this is necessary to pull the front down to give you the verticle angle i mentioned. now i would've like to have gotten a more verticle angle than i ended up with, but never the less i am pleased. the less up and down you have the spoiler, the more subtile it is. and ford probe looking. lol then i used about 3 freakin pints of glass-bondo filling in the spoiler in placed i wanted different contours. i filled the front side of the spoiler so the hatch didnt have the hard downward angle bc that is unappealing. even to this modification's fans. then i filled the back side of the spoiler to meet flush with the edge of the hatch. this is not required but really makes it appear much more like the heritage trans am. did some half *** body work and sanding, and i threw some red spray paint at it. lol and to be honest it looks amazing for what it is. but im getting a paint job this winter, so i figure ill let the shop do the fine tuning and such when i have it painted blue. but for now, it looks good. now show condition tho. ill post pics as soon as damn photobucket will let me login. and try to answer any questions.

i KNOW there will be hate.... if you can lets keep it to a minimum. i took the time out of my day to write this stinkin book ^^^ and help some ppl out, so lets not make me feel that is in vein.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

if i ever get another firebird, i might try the freedom design wing.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

the finished product from straight behind isnt a good angle. its actually larger than it looks.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/y...o/IMG_0602.jpg

I really like this pic! I gotta admit the first pics of it in primer I thought it was ugly as **** then i seen the finished ones and I love it. it looks great! Props for your hard work and being different I really like it. It looks great. Congrats
Old 08-08-2011, 01:40 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I like it. Good job for having a vision and going through and bringing it to life.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 64 Likes on 51 Posts

sweet spoiler . i want the spats gm made on the white and blue one for my formula .
Old 08-08-2011, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

one thing about this project, you need a trans am hatch. formula hatch isnt compatible bc of the fact that the spoiler isnt removable. (i think anyway?)

my spoiler is done, but i will be changing the look of it a bit yet. im getting a drop kit for the front end. thinking around a 2" drop. leaving the back stock height to give it the 'raked' race type stance. it should make the spoiler appear a bit more agreesive. so im excited to see that. i have to buy rear wheel spacers bc my 295's are rubbing part of my suspension. but after that drop springs are next on the list. i will post pics after install.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I didn't think I would, but I actually kind of like it. It's definitely different, which is cool.

I gotta say though WTF is up with those exhaust tips? Those have got to go!

Did you get those at Autozone? I remember a year or so ago I was looking at tips there, and a kid working there was convinced those would look good on my car. I said no, not the right style. He swore up and down they'd look great, and wanted to test them out. So we went outside and he held it up behind the car. I was like "Nope. Horrible, no way will these work".

So he wants to see. So I hold the tip up to the bumper, and he stands back and looks at it from the rear, then the side. So then he says "oh ****, man, you're totally right. Not good at all". LOL

Anyway, enough about the tips, the rest of the car is cool. I like it when people try unique mods.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I didn't think I would, but I actually kind of like it. It's definitely different, which is cool.

I gotta say though WTF is up with those exhaust tips? Those have got to go!

Did you get those at Autozone? I remember a year or so ago I was looking at tips there, and a kid working there was convinced those would look good on my car. I said no, not the right style. He swore up and down they'd look great, and wanted to test them out. So we went outside and he held it up behind the car. I was like "Nope. Horrible, no way will these work".

So he wants to see. So I hold the tip up to the bumper, and he stands back and looks at it from the rear, then the side. So then he says "oh ****, man, you're totally right. Not good at all". LOL

Anyway, enough about the tips, the rest of the car is cool. I like it when people try unique mods.
Not a fan of the tips huh? I really liked em. I did want them tucked in further, but i would get heat damage on my bumper if they were brought any further in. So it was a compromise. But i still like em... But to each his own.

Quick Reply: mix of LS1 formula/TA NEED Opinion's and your PICS!