Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

mix of LS1 formula/TA NEED Opinion's and your PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mix of LS1 formula/TA NEED Opinion's and your PICS!

okay guys, having some doubts and some trouble. i have a 1999 trans am. its stock right now. sleak beak and all. here is what i had planned up.
1. Superhawk Hood
2. TA front bumper
(the flare thats on the sides at the bottom i was going to shave to match/flow with the formula side skirts. i realize it'd be easier to just get a formula front bumper but i love the TA one.)
3. Formula side skirts
4. Formula rear bumper
5. take off TA spoiler and put on a ducktail from the camaro's.

it was kinda going to be a 2003 trans am heritage look. if you havent seen it i posted pics. its the white one. different front end of course bc i like the LS1 front end too much. lol

i took off the TA side skirts, and i realized that i think i like the TA skirts more... but that could all change with the new rear spoiler and rear bumper.

what i need photo's and input on is:
1. How do the trans am side skirts flow with a formula rear bumper? if you have pics plz post, from all angles but side is best.
2. how would the ducktail look with a trans am rear bumper?
(i cannot find a single TA rear bumper with the ducktail spoiler on it?!)

so here is my options:
A) formula side skirts with the formula rear bumper.
B) TA side skirts with the TA rear bumper.
C) Formula rear bumper with the TA side skirts.

i have no idea which way to go. PICS would do alot for me.

i know there is alot of controversy on the spoilers but i think they look damn awesome, and im set on one.

(future reference) THANKS for all the help! lol
Old 02-28-2011, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

this car has TA side skirts and formula rear bumper. but its from the back and you cant really see the flow too well...
Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Old 02-28-2011, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

here is my car.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

oh yeah, and if any one has a formula or TA, with (prefer 19") Chrome C6, or Crome C6Z06 deep dish w/ rivetted rims plz post pics. i cant even begin to decide between the 2. lol
Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

To the top! id really like to know what size inch lip is on the spoiler of the black LS1 car pictured. im thinkin 4"?
Old 03-09-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

not the size u wanted on the wheels but it will work. 18x10.5 out back

Old 03-09-2011, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

as I recall that is a freedom designs spoiler modified to fit a shaved TA hatch so 5".

A camaro hatch on a TA...? Have you ever seen a camaro with the spoiler off? they have different rear fenders as well that rise up higher to match the spoilers edge, that isn't going to work. You will need to take off your TA spoiler, fill in the holes, drill new holes for the freedom spoiler and re-shape as necessary to mold to the new rear. I love the look too, but don't have a TA rear hatch to start on yet LOL

and by formula skirts do you mean the absence of skirts? they don't have any.. and personally I think the side skirts don't flow with a formy bumper, BUT there are some gdfx kits that would alleviate this some, look into buying just the rear bumper portion for a formula they are just little side skirts and they don't wrap to the back

hope that gives you some direction!
Old 03-09-2011, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

not the size u wanted on the wheels but it will work. 18x10.5 out back
man i love those rims! lol i think im going to go w/o the rivets tho.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

as I recall that is a freedom designs spoiler modified to fit a shaved TA hatch so 5".

A camaro hatch on a TA...? Have you ever seen a camaro with the spoiler off? they have different rear fenders as well that rise up higher to match the spoilers edge, that isn't going to work. You will need to take off your TA spoiler, fill in the holes, drill new holes for the freedom spoiler and re-shape as necessary to mold to the new rear. I love the look too, but don't have a TA rear hatch to start on yet LOL

and by formula skirts do you mean the absence of skirts? they don't have any.. and personally I think the side skirts don't flow with a formy bumper, BUT there are some gdfx kits that would alleviate this some, look into buying just the rear bumper portion for a formula they are just little side skirts and they don't wrap to the back

hope that gives you some direction!
yes the freedom was used on the 2003 design. but the black trans am up there has an RK Sport ductail 1 piece on it. they come in 3 pieces also. (i prefer those lol) they make a 3" 4" and 5"... that i know of. and i do realize that ill be needing to take off the highrise and shave the holes. thats no big deal. get that taken care of in one saturday. i believe the spoiler used with the black trans am used none/minimal molding. you can see its unpainted and he has no bondo spots. the ta's rear end is rounded but he placed it further up where its still very similar to the camaro.

also i went and got a formula rear bump from a junk yard in pretty good shape. got it on the car. and by formula side skirts, yes you are correct. its the absence of them. sorry i didnt clarify.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Regular

Ah, its been awhile since I looked into those spoilers got mixed up a bit lol. The one on the black ta looks about 1"-2" shorter than the fill panel for a rough guess. And sorry I thought you meant you were planning to put the camaro hatch on your car not just the spoiler lol. I belive the company that made the gdfx kit I was reffering to was lm motorsports or something like that as well.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Orignally posted by RacingTiger03 >
Ah, its been awhile since I looked into those spoilers got mixed up a bit lol. The one on the black ta looks about 1"-2" shorter than the fill panel for a rough guess. And sorry I thought you meant you were planning to put the camaro hatch on your car not just the spoiler lol. I belive the company that made the gdfx kit I was reffering to was lm motorsports or something like that as well.
yeah i hear ya, i have refresh myself on stuff just about every time. or i start to get it mixed up. lol i agree with the 1-2" shorter on the black TA. i was wanting specifics on that one bc i thought it looks almost perfectly proprtional. dont like too small but also dont like over the top. id say im pretty safe planning on buying the 4" 3 piece RK Sport ducktail. its like $155 more than the freedom tho, so i was was second guessing and saying maybe ill like the extra inch for $155 back in my pocket. haha and sorry, shouldve clarified i was only removing the high rise spoiler to begin with, i get excited sometimes and forget you all arent reading my brain only the words i type for you, altho some of these guys on here are so smart i think they may be able to? i almost mistake asking questions on here for praying for information to god! lol and the gdfx kit was made by LG motorsports i think? i could be wrong. its been a while. but were both in the ball park anyway.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

alright guys, finally settled. i am siding with Dick Harrell and going with the 5" 3 piece RK Sport one. read guys had problems with their hatches falling from the one piece freedom. and i honest cannot tell the difference in design, other than $150. lol i think itll be worth it though. i found the "RKSport Performance Spoiler" for $327.77 - if any1 knows where one is cheaper or wants to see one cheaper. plz let me know! thanks for helpin me pick this one out too. it was the best choice. knew you wouldnt let me down!
Old 03-10-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car looks nice the way it is bro but different is always good as well. good luck!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Regular

thanks man. nice to some, not to others. lol one mans trash is another mans treasure ya know. i love it. but still want to do about $24,000 worth of changing to it. then ill admit it's nice!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Numba20
I can't lie I would rock this ta any day....
Old 03-10-2011, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to be paying very close attention to this thread as I have been wanting to do that kind of spoiler on my car. Just never could pull the trigger on it since there wasn't much info around on how to.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Hope none of you all intend to be coming around knoxville tennessee! i better be the only **** around here with this set up. lol jk guys. glad to inspire/help you all. i will be buying the 3 piece RKSport Performance Spoiler. (its a 5") in about 2 weeks. and installing immediately bc im freaking excited! lol ill post pics of all steps i take, and any problems i may run into. also, got a high rise TA spoiler for sale... MINT! lol if anybody wants to go with the freedom design (same just a one piece) its $150 cheaper and it appears to fit well also.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Numba20
Hope none of you all intend to be coming around knoxville tennessee! i better be the only **** around here with this set up. lol jk guys. glad to inspire/help you all. i will be buying the 3 piece RKSport Performance Spoiler. (its a 5") in about 2 weeks. and installing immediately bc im freaking excited! lol ill post pics of all steps i take, and any problems i may run into. also, got a high rise TA spoiler for sale... MINT! lol if anybody wants to go with the freedom design (same just a one piece) its $150 cheaper and it appears to fit well also.
Make sure you're just selling the whole spoiler and not the hatch too. Hopefully you're able to do a bit better job than the guy with the black TA. It would be nice to see the spoiler at the very back of the car. I've always considered doing this, but can't justify the time involved.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

yeah if you look at the contour of his, it flows almost parrallel to the tail lights. i will do eyeballing until my eyes go cross eyed. lol i will find the best fit. and yes, that seems rather elementary to know not to sell the entire hatch! lol

Quick Reply: mix of LS1 formula/TA NEED Opinion's and your PICS!