Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My "Official" Attempt At A Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 03:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow My Suspension Build Thread

Well lets see where to start...How about where the car was sitting before I started the tear down (I have 15% tint all around now )

Now where its sitting (poor dirty thing )

Then the build specs are as follows:
8.8 Mustang Axle w/Custom TA Mount (factory mustang width)
31 Spline Alloy USA Axles
31 Spline Trac Lok W/Cobra Carbon Clutches
Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
Drake Diff Cover
Cobra Rear Brakes (11.65" Vented Rotors)
Custom LCA Brackets & Shock Mounts
UMI 3 Point SFCs
UMI K Member
UMI Chromoly Lower A Arms
Stock Upper A Arms (For Now)
UMI Adjustable TA
UMI Double Adjustable LCAs (Poly/Poly)
Edelbrock IAS Coilovers W/600 lb Front Springs
Edelbrock IAS Rear Shocks
Firestone 9000 Rear Air Springs
Upper Bag Mounts (From Suicide Doors)
WS6 Front Sway Bar w/Gusseted Brackets (For Now)
Hellwig Hollow Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
Hellwig Hollow Front Bar (Coming Soon)
Midwest Chassis Watts Link
Speed Daddy Stainless Headers
Custom 2-3"x1-3.5" Y-Pipe (Flowmaster Merge)
Mufflex 3.5" Catback w/Borla XR-1 Muffler
6LE Seats & Brackets
Battery Relocation Kit (Speedway Motors Weld In Bracket)
Racetronix 255 Fuel Pump & Hotwire Harness
-6 AN Fuel Feed & Return Line
OE Style Fuel Filter w/-6 Fuel Line Adapters
Madman Alternator Relocation Bracket
Speedway Motors Power Steering Pump Bracket (Slightly Modified)
Summit Type II Power Steering Pump
Summit AN Power Steering Line Kit
Speedway Motors Aluminum Power Steering Resivor (More Fluid Capacity Than Stock)
Wilwood Brake Proportioning Valve (2 Lines In 3 Lines Out)
Baer Bumpsteer Kit (Will Be Added Later)
KYB Upper Shock Mounts (3/4" Cut Off To Regain Some Shock Travel)
OE Wheels ZR1s in 17x11 For All 4 Corners (Deep Lug Fronts, Deep Dish On Rear)
Nitto NT555 315/35/17s
Motorsports Tech 2.25" Wheel Adapters (Rear)
1/4" Billet Wheel Spacers (Front)
ARP Wheel Studs

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but its a long list. I have been gathering parts for about 16 months and have got some stuff done, but theres ALOT more to get done.
Now some of the axle build...

Sandblasted And Painted...

Wheels...

Battery relocation tray, fuel filter, and AN adapters

And My Parts Corner...

Last edited by Turnin20s; 07-10-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:29 AM
11 Second Club

looks fun! wish i had a parts corner
Old 03-18-2011, 03:38 AM
TECH Addict

I dropped the axle off at my buddies on Wednesday 3/16 to get the gears setup. I'm waiting for the watts link to finish being fabbed and ship out, my K member was on backorder, and I have a whole bunch of stuff being shipped right now. I have been working 6 days a week for the last 6 months to get this project as far as it has come, progress on the car has been slow, but I have almost all of my parts either here or paid for and on the way.

Now the progress will more than likely be slow and I'm horrible at taking pics during the build, and usually get them after something has been completed. But I'm working on that

Goals for the car are...I guess corner carving street car. Its not a drag car, it never will be. I'm building a driver. I built the motor a couple years ago, and this time around the suspension is getting completely reworked. The only stock parts left are the upper control arm mounts and I think thats it It has LS1 brakes installed on the front, T56 swap, spec stage 3 clutch (love it), LE ported heads, cc306 cam, SRP forged pistons, studded mains, ARP rod bolts, blah blah blah. It should make ~400rwhp pretty easily. I have plans of a new motor and boost, but after the suspension its on to the house again for a little while (gotta keep the wife happy)

Saturday I'll be going out to my parents shop and trying to make some more progress. Plans are to weld in the rear upper bag mounts, sandblast the upper spring mounts, sandblast the spindles, paint the blasted parts, finish removing my interior, and organize my parts corner a little better.

Thanks for looking

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
looks fun! wish i had a parts corner
LOL I had to fight my brother for that spot, but he has a broken ankle, so it wasn't much of a fight
Old 03-18-2011, 04:00 AM
11 Second Club

just noticed you have a lift in your garage! lucky! i dont have a lift! or a garage
Old 03-18-2011, 04:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1999transamls1
just noticed you have a lift in your garage! lucky! i dont have a lift! or a garage
Yeah my dads a hero haha, he bought it for us (me and my 2 brothers) to keep us in his shop.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do want. so jealous.

i'll trade u an '02 SLP SS for your lift.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by brian_rs/ss
do want. so jealous.

i'll trade u an '02 SLP SS for your lift.
But then what would you work on??? haha

Well last night turned out like the past few weekends and not much happened. I helped my brother get his S10 down so he could start working on that (he has a broken ankle and can't push in a clutch) Got the truck down and installed the rollpan and then test fit the new wheels. Then he replaced his belltech nitro shocks ,only 2 were good after 4k miles, with some doeschtech (SP) shocks and its alot stiffer. The truck needs and alignment really bad and its pushing the tops of the front wheel out ~1/2" or more and it looks like the wheels stick out, but they really don't, its just the angle of the pic

Now on to my junk, I test fit my front wheels with the 1/4" spacer and still had a rub on the spindle where the little casting nipple is. So out came the grinder and I got rid of those Now I have ~1/4-5/16" of clearance between the wheel and the spindle, but the true test will be when I get my tires and that won't be for a few weeks unfortunately. But then I threw the upper control arm mounts and the spindles into the sandblasting cabinet and went to work. But about 3/4 of the way through the last spindle the sandblaster got plugged up and I was tired of doing it anyway so I called it quits and had a few beers

Heres the pics I took this weekend

And my billet 1/4" front spacers...

Now Monday I have a whole bunch of parts coming in so I'll take some pics when that stuff shows up, tuesday my rear axle should be done. I found out that my fuel pump is on backorder until the end of march/begining of april and I still don't have an ETA on my watts link. But next weekend I'm going to assemble the entire axle and probably order my brakes from brakemotive.

So until next time

More parts showed up today Took them out to look them over and snagged a few pics

I have to work 50 hours this week, so nothing will get done and I might have to work both days this weekend But if I have Saturday off I'm going to try to get the motor out and change the opti and install a new thermostat, put in the throwout bearing, run new brake lines, and put the motor back in its home.

If anything else shows up I'll post some more pics
Old 03-21-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's one hell of a mods list...good luck with the build!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Looking good man I know how u feel my ws6 sat for two years now its about ready to come out again.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

lookin good man.

+1 for hands on; im jealous of the black -an stuff because i ended up with blue/red
Old 03-21-2011, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like fun!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Good deal, anxious to see the turn out!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:42 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the replies guys. I kinda forgot about paying in my taxes next month, so I'm going to have to take a break from ordering parts for a few weeks to save for the feds But I'm going to pull the motor and get some other work done in the mean time. I'm going to remove the heater box on the engine bay side and do a few more other things to clean it up.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Well I found out I ordered the wrong throwout bearing, turns out its for a 3.4 M5 So if anyone needs a TO bearing for their V6 f body $35 shipped, I paid $40 + shipping

I still don't have a shipping date on my Watts link that was paid for on 1/21, my buddy thats setting up my gears still hasn't called me, and I don't have any money to spend this week. Just a bad week so far, but maybe this weekend I can get something done, and mod some more parts, thats always fun

I have a plan in my head for the brake lines so I don't have to bleed my brakes after my motor is pulled, just remove the calipers and drop the k member out. But with only 1 day off a week its hard to get anything done

But tomorrow night I'll get some pics posted, hopefully of the motor sitting on the stand
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like a amazing build you got there and look forward to seeing the end product. Good luck with it
Old 03-26-2011, 02:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 6SIX6
Looks like a amazing build you got there and look forward to seeing the end product. Good luck with it
Thanks, I can't wait till the day when its lowered off of the lift and I drive it out of the shop
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

This weekend didn't go as planned, I decided not to pull the motor because the shop has alot of projects going on right now and we don't need a motor taking up more floor space. So I unhooked everything underneath the car, removed the rack, removed the steering shaft, and thats it for that.

Then I did the Upper Mount Mod to my new upper shock mounts, ended up cutting about 3/4-7/8" off of them to give more shock travel. Then pressed in my new front wheel studs, but mushed up the threads on one of them, so I have to order another 1

This week I'm trying to figure out what to order, but I guess I have the rest of this week to figure that out. But it looks like I'll be getting headers, power steering pump, power steering lines, power steering pulley, new wheel studs, and the right throwout bearing from Spec. My sway bars are still on backorder and I'm going to wait on my A arms to see if UMI is going to have an Easter Sale then I'll order them if they do.

And sorry no pics, I forgot to take any
Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Launching!

This is great dude! I wish I had the money/resources to do what you're doing now!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Looks like your going to have a very stout suspension when your done. Looks great so far
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Launching!

BTW.. I am also jelous of the lift. I want one

Quick Reply: My "Official" Attempt At A Build Thread