Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Interior smells from flooded carpet!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Interior smells from flooded carpet!

This past couple of days Ive been smelling something that wreaks in my car, It was comming from my shifter area, so I removed the center console and I dint find a thing, . I removed my rear carpets and the floor was flodded w/ water, both the rear floors I was like WTF! no one eats nor drink in my car, I went under my car to take the drain plugs off and water was just leaking out and the water that was draining from my car really smell bad. so I stripped my whole interior seats panels the whole 9 yards. pulled the whole carpet of the car, dayum the whole back was flooded under the seats and everything. I closed all my windows and ask my bro to spray water out side of my car and dint find a leak on any of the window seals . so today Im going to the dealer and have them check it out. but all I know they better give me a new carpet cause mines wreaks (warranty). IT wreak most when I was driving, I guess cause the air just blows all the smell out. I cant believe I dint catch this ahead of time. sorry so long.

Mark
Old 02-19-2004, 11:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it rains alot in Hawaii, just like it does here in Louisiana. Once the carpeting, and insulating jute get wet, they need to be replaced. Forget about shampoos, or deodorizers.

The big issue is finding the source of the leak.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can shampoo the rug; more than likely it will have to be done quite a few times to really get rid of the smell.

Try shampoo'ing the carpet once, after it is dried, spread baking soda all over the interior, let it sit for a day or so, remove it and re-shampoo the carpet again.
Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys, just got back from the dealers and the tech told me hell try to get me a new carpet. hope they find the leak. theyre also changing my rear pinion seal @ the same time. THe tech also told me it could be a leak from a body seam.
Old 02-19-2004, 02:36 PM
TECH Resident

Not coming in from the rear hatch?
Old 02-19-2004, 02:37 PM
11 Second Club

could not find any leaks man, Ill let you know once I get it back
Old 02-19-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

My 98z had a leak around one of the body seems in the rear hatch area....
Old 02-19-2004, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I ran some wires on my SS, I took out the grommet in the PCM area... Apparently all of the water in that area runs RIGHT next to it.. It used to leak all of that crap into the car..

The other possibility is that one of the "drain tunnels" is clogged in the frame. There was a post I saw a while ago that detailed how the water drains through the car to exit it.. It sounds weird, but it goes inside the frame, under the car, in the car, then out the car in the back area.

You can use a coat hanger to "pop the cherry" on the clog.
Old 02-19-2004, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

My Z28 always stunk like stale water when I got it and behind the right passenger seat the floor was always wet. I pulled up the carpet and vacuumed it out. Smell went away and the water hasnt returned im not sure how it got there.
Old 02-19-2004, 10:29 PM
wrencher

Try this to make sure you dont have a leak;
Apply light amounts of talcum powder to the suspected seals.
Wet car down & then either have someone douse the car & you drive it, or blow air on it to remove excess water.( point is to not open seal with standing water on it)
Then check all the areas to see if water breached the seal anywhere. The powder will make it easy to find.
Old 02-20-2004, 02:50 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys,

Juissed, the grommet that your talking about is one of the leaks in my car ran my line lock wires through there and I guess I dint put it back properly, but the dealer dint find that leak I did, they found a leak by the driver side, where the throttle cable comes in, another grommet. The dealer is going to warranty me a brand new interior carpet, itll be like new again.lol. but I have to wait for about a week, so ill be cruisen round all stripped. and man my true duals set up sounds like 10 times louder without all that carpet and padding

this weekend is the first race of the year for us and my whole car is stripped, took off about 80 lbs worth of seats! panels! seatbelt retractors! hope to gain some et's. thanks again guys.

Mark
Old 02-20-2004, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Steve98Z
My 98z had a leak around one of the body seems in the rear hatch area....
Me too. Would get water in the rear well. It was the hatch weatherstripping on the driver's side - the channel where it slipped on to the body, right at a body seam. I put some black gasket maker (the tar-like stuff) on there. No more leaks.

-Andrew
Old 03-17-2004, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Default This might be a good info for guys that live on hills.

Last week was pouring rain here in hawaii and I slept over my girls house. her house is on a hill. I parked the z w/ the *** up on the hill. when I went home that morning I could here something splashing behind me (seats, carpets, panels, etcs still off) so I looked back and the dip where the rear seats sit was filled w/ water both sides about 5 inches. I was like WTF. then when I depresse my brakes all the water came forwardunder my feet on drivers and pass. side. WHen I got home I jacked up the rear and had my bro shoot water on the rear hatch and then wahhhhla niagra falls on my back seats. I was so happy finally found that ****** leak.

Today I wentto the dealership and told my friend that works there about it and we just sealed under the weather stripping w/ marine rtv. There was 2 2002 camaros dispayed @ the dealers w/ the rear tires on ramps, so I went to a salesman and asked if I could check out the interior. I told the sales man "hey man this car smells funky" he was like it must be the grass your smelling from the rain! so I stuck my hands under the rear seat carpet and wahllaaaaa another flodded camaro. so I told the salesman about it and he was like how did you know I just @ him and walked away laughing. I compared the camaro and firebirds rear hatch and the camaros hatch is much deeper than the firebirds. which means more water can collect on the camaros rear hatch area, when on a hill. sorry so long but Im jus so happy I found this nitemare leak. My new carpet that the dealer warrantied came in and im glad I dint put it on yet.

MArk
Old 10-23-2004, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

once youve cured your leak...strip the interior down to the metal...replace it with new...custom trick now is doin a leather floor & headliner...i love hawaii, i'll be on the isle of kuwaii for acouple weeks in feb
Old 10-23-2004, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Me too. Would get water in the rear well. It was the hatch weatherstripping on the driver's side - the channel where it slipped on to the body, right at a body seam. I put some black gasket maker (the tar-like stuff) on there. No more leaks.

-Andrew
Damn skippy! I had that exact same problem on the passenger side, I haven't sealed it up yet, I just keep a close eye on it and keep pushing the weather stripping back into it's channel.

Quick Reply: Interior smells from flooded carpet!