Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Any good recomdations for water spots?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any good recomdations for water spots?

Any good recommendations for water spots? I spent a few days scrubbing my car down when i first got it. It had the worse water sports i have seen. first i used some stuff for the windows. Witch didn't seem to work to great at first. then i tried it with some 0000 fine steal wool. and it seemed to do the trick after scrubbing. Then spend a day using Meguiars rubbing compound to get out most of the water spots. Still a few on the front noise where it was a bit harder due to all the curves. Then of course i clayed it and glazed and waxed it.
But i have noticed. Since i park my truck out side it has bad water spots to. and because i neglected of waxing it for so long. But its white so they dont stand out so much. Only under certain lights. But its a 07 tundra, And need to get it done and get a good coat of wax on it as well. So looking to see if there is a better way.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

If you have tried the claybar and compound I would say maybe try a buffer. I have no idea how to use one but i'm sure someone here does. Do a search on how to use a buffer and you will find a lot of info, or take the easy way out and have a professional detailer do it
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Porter Cable buffer or find someone that has one. The PC with some pads, compound and polish will take care of the spots. You can buy a starter kit for around $200. You can easily pay that much for a detailer to do it. It is an investment, but the PC will last you a lifetime. I have had my PC for 6 years or so and average 75 cars a year and it's still going strong. The PC is very user friendly and you will be comfortable with it in no time. I use Meguiar's M105/205 combo. Follow that with a good quality polish/wax.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

White vinegar and a microfiber works well .
Old 04-24-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LT4vert
White vinegar and a microfiber works well .
I have had good luck with this also. As long as the spots are not too bad. Hard water spots that have been on the paint for a while might needed a little more. But the vinegar is a good and cheap place to start.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

mequires spray, micro fiber towel
Old 04-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Banned

I have tried the vinegar. Didn't even lighten the spots they were bad! And i used a cheap ryobi buffer on my ws6 but seemed very weak, And i have tried a clay bar as well with no help. You can get some bad water sports in Hawaii! but at least now the ws6 is in the garage. and if i get caught in rain when im out i usually wipe it down as soon as i get home. don't really want to go through that again, I know when i was talking wit a detalier shop they said they used some sort of acid to get them off? and they charge like 200$ and there is no guarantee they will all come off. I thought they where out of there mind. And told me they don't sell the acid.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Don't go to that Detailer then. A machine polisher will remove the spots, contact more detailers and plan to spend about $200-$250 for the job. The spots MUST BE BUFFED OFF you can't remove them with a topical chemical/vinegar/clay bar or cover them with a wax/glaze. They have etched the paint and must be polished out.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

meguiars ultimate compound and a D/A polisher. problem solved

Quick Reply: Any good recomdations for water spots?