Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Griot's Garage products: what are your opinions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Griot's Garage products: what are your opinions???

I'm thinking about ordering this kit from Griots that includes their 6" random orbital, pads, machine polish, and their "best of show" wax. I"ve been reading that their buffer is just like the PC 7424 but even a little better. Before yall mention Adam's, i checked them out and they seem great. Just a little pricey tho. Anyway, how do Griot's polishes and waxes perform and compare to other brands? BTW this is for the SS in my sig, which is black with a TON of swirls. Thanks,----Justin
Old 05-25-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
I'm thinking about ordering this kit from Griots that includes their 6" random orbital, pads, machine polish, and their "best of show" wax. I"ve been reading that their buffer is just like the PC 7424 but even a little better. Before yall mention Adam's, i checked them out and they seem great. Just a little pricey tho. Anyway, how do Griot's polishes and waxes perform and compare to other brands? BTW this is for the SS in my sig, which is black with a TON of swirls. Thanks,----Justin
They have good products but wayyyy over priced if you ask me. Personally, I like the Mequires products (105 and 205) for cutting and polishing and much more affordable.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Good stuff but these are "boutique items" and are likely made by someone else, just relabeled for them which a lot of auto chemicals are but people don't realize it..
Old 05-26-2011, 05:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can't go wrong with their orbital, it's one of the best ones out there, Better than the Porter Cable.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Like was mentioned above, they have some nice items, but you can find the exact items, labeled differently, much cheaper elsewhere. You end up paying for the name at Griots.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 AM
Internet Mechanic

Boutique waxes are for guys with way to much money who wants a idiot proof system and everything laid out for ease of use. Go to ANY website, such as a Autogeek and heck I even feel confident in buying every darn item they sell.

Then I realized that I am not rich and I have to spend within my means....
Old 05-26-2011, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have never used their polishes but I like their window cleaner. Their productts are way over priced. I use them as an idea for stuff and then find it somewhere else for cheaper. I use Zaino and love it.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adams seems expensive but you get sooooo much product, if used properly you can get 30 details out of each bottle and then some. Check out thier forum, I have used mine probably 4 times and still have tons left! I promise once you use it, you wont think twice about the purchase or using anything else
Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the response guys. I'm still wondering, is it worth it to splurge a little extra and go for the Adam's? I might say screw it and just get the M105 & 205, and maybe a nice wax.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

If your swirls are really bad you may want to think about taking it to someone professionally. It can't be too expensive to have someone that can do a good job and remove all the swirls. Or if you feel confident you can do it urself then I would use Adams...they are priced high but the results are worth it.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Pinnacle also makes good products. I use their Advanced Finishing Polish and Souveran Paste Wax and get great results. Again, a little pricey but you get enough to last a long time. I polished/waxed 3 cars and have tons left. This stuff will probably last me the next 5 years.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 344 Likes on 258 Posts

at the risk of falling into a previously mentioned "boutique wax" category......

I have used there best of show wax, claybar, speed shine, and machine polishes. their leather care stuff is also phenominal.

the wax can sometimes require a little more elbow grease than most, but i havent ever used another wax that gives that kind of depth, and shine (on 2 black vehicles) and did wonders for my crystal red metallic vette as well.

you can say its someone elses stuff under a different name, and its overpriced all you want, but from my personal experience i havent found anything i like better. I am not a professional detailer or anything, and i am not saying you cant get great results using some of the other products out there. but i am perfectly fine with my "idiot proof system" and the detail guide and dvd on the buffer was kinda nice too
Old 05-27-2011, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Tried them. Found them a little lacking in performance, ranking them probably "average", and the prices have some extra performance (read: more $). Not worth it IMO.

Get the Megs twins (105/205) or the Menzerna twins (SIP/106FA) and a good wax or sealant. Oh and the Menzerna is more user friendly and works quicker on our hard clear coats.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
at the risk of falling into a previously mentioned "boutique wax" category......

I have used there best of show wax, claybar, speed shine, and machine polishes. their leather care stuff is also phenominal.

the wax can sometimes require a little more elbow grease than most, but i havent ever used another wax that gives that kind of depth, and shine (on 2 black vehicles) and did wonders for my crystal red metallic vette as well.

you can say its someone elses stuff under a different name, and its overpriced all you want, but from my personal experience i havent found anything i like better. I am not a professional detailer or anything, and i am not saying you cant get great results using some of the other products out there. but i am perfectly fine with my "idiot proof system" and the detail guide and dvd on the buffer was kinda nice too
I have used their products in the past too (got a wash kit for free) and they say right in their catalog that everything is made in house. FWIW. http://www.griotsgarage.com/category...+different-.do
Old 12-20-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Basically when you're speaking random orbitals here are your three run of the mill options

Porter Cable
Griots
Megs

There isn't enough difference between the three to make one significantly better than the other but I bought the PC, and i'll tell you why. When you're looking to upgrade backings and pads, interior brush attachments, etc it's slightly more expensive at every corner with the griots so I just went PC. Also i'm used to it from my last job and it's never disappointed me. Little noisy but who cares really...and i'm sure the griots isn't much quieter. Lots of comparisons out there on the web.

I did just start using their paint cleaning clay though and so far I do like it...easier to kneed than Meg's and does a good job...no complains haha but I use it with meg's quik detailer
Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I will say this about the Griot's DA.....

IT RULES. Beats the PC hands down. This is the new version I'm talking about. I got it earlier this month and haven't picked up my PC since.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z

IT RULES. Beats the PC hands down. This is the new version I'm talking about. I got it earlier this month and haven't picked up my PC since.
I cannot argue this point I never tried the new one. If this is the case disregard my previous statement
Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Adam's products are top notch. People complain about how expensive it is, but the saying goes "you get what you pay for". It might be a little more expensive then some others but you get a lot of product for the money. In addition, all of Adam's stuff is produced in the US, no where over seas or anything. On top of that, they have the 110% satisfaction guarantee. If you don't like the product or it doesn't work how you like, contact them and they will buy the remaining product back at 110%. If this hasn't swayed you yet, this is the best thing of all...their customer service. They will literally do anything they can to make you happy and help you out. 2 examples. First, they have a code for a free 16 oz bottle of car wash on their magazine. I couldn't get the code to work and said forget it. I then later contacted their customer service and asked about it. They added the car wash to my order with no questions asked. More recent, today in fact. I placed an order with one of their authorized dealers and when I got the items today the drying towel was stained from a bottle somehow getting opened in transit. Contacted the seller and he is shipping me a new towel and new bottle of product out. This is by far the best customer service I have ever experienced in my life and that's what keeps me going back on top of their great products. Also, if you go with Adams, use "LSONE" at checkout to receive 10% off anytime. Right now they have a holiday special where you receive a free 16oz bottle of glass cleaner and their glass towel on orders of $50+.

Just some more things to think about.

I've also heard good things about Meg's and Menzerna, but I doubt you'd be able to get your money back if you didn't like the results...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z

I got mine a few weeks ago and touched up a scratch. That thing has some *****!

Quick Reply: Griot's Garage products: what are your opinions???