Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a lot of pieces.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lemons12
Anything that is a very common problem, they discontinue! Haha
Yeah, it's quite annoying.

Note to all reading - I don't know if they are producing the panel, it is listed on GMPartsdirect. I know that they do not have the Sail Panel listed on GMpartsdirect - they are not producing the Sail Panel at this time.

My guess is that they are still producing the panel, I can't confirm that.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 93 still has the original dash cover that looks brand new. You guys just have bad luck or I have good luck.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99superhawk
Well there it is. You used suede. I used vinyl. That's apples and oranges, sir. I wanted to keep my interior as factory looking as possible.

No one in that sticky thread mentioned anything about Permatex sucking. In fact, most claimed that going on 9 months, it was still working fine. Given that I used the exact steps that they did, used the exact materials they did, and employed a design that took the better part of 2 days...I really don't see how you can argue that I did anything wrong.

I never said you didn't have a clue what you were talking about. My intention isn't to have anyone in this thread butt-hurt. Just saving some chaps the frustration of using a write-up that doesn't 100% work.

Let's tone it down a bit.
How many times do I have to say it? The glue you used is the problem...
Vinyl/suede has nothing to do with it. The backing is quite often similar, if not the same, thats the only thing that matters. Do more reading than that one thread and you'll see what kind of glue will actually hold up to high temps.

Im wanting to do my lower door panel as well as my center console in a suede/micro suede material. Could you please give me some pics or a link to some things?
I'm assuming Its going to be pretty simple but whatever info you have is appreciated, finished product would be awesome too.
Thanks
I'll see what I can do. As far as material, its expensive, but the best to use is by far alcantara, which is what they use in Lamborghini's. I'll be going with all alcantara for the final interior. Only downside is the fact that, IIRC, its right at, or close to $100 a yard. As for threads, I'd read all of VikingRamAir's interior threads. VERY good info in there. I'll see if I can find some pictures of the panels I wrapped.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Awesome man. I plan on doing door panels, center console lid, middle lower back and butt portion on my front trans am seats as well as the very middle section of the rear seats in some sort of suede material. Everything else, upper dash pad rest of seat parts etc will be soke sort of vinyl.

I don't mind spending money on it but also don't want 1k$ in just material if I can help it, might not be possible for what I'm wanting though.

I drive my cwr very, very little.. Is the alcantara the best because of durability? I need something that can stand me sitting on it for maybe 5 hours per week if that. Hardly ever have a pass nobody in rear seats.
Thanks for the info, I will go read his thread.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome man. I plan on doing door panels, center console lid, middle lower back and butt portion on my front trans am seats as well as the very middle section of the rear seats in some sort of suede material. Everything else, upper dash pad rest of seat parts etc will be soke sort of vinyl.

I don't mind spending money on it but also don't want 1k$ in just material if I can help it, might not be possible for what I'm wanting though.

I drive my cwr very, very little.. Is the alcantara the best because of durability? I need something that can stand me sitting on it for maybe 5 hours per week if that. Hardly ever have a pass nobody in rear seats.
Thanks for the info, I will go read his thread.
The alcantara doesn't fade in UV, is very durable, completely synthetic, and looks and feels better than anything else. Thats why they use it in all the high end cars, like Lamborghini's, BMW M's, Chrysler SRT's, Lexus IS-F series, Audi's, Alfa Romeo's, Porsche's, etc., so you can guess the quality. Lamborghini used it in the Reventon for christ sake. It'll more than hold up with your use, and IMO, is well worth the money considering its going on your seats.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well.. I don't want overkill on it. I was just thinking if microsuede has held up for years on my couch of constant sitting and not being careful etc and still looks that good... With the 5 hours or less I'm in my car per week, Hell sometimes 2 months without driving if its under the knife.... Why not save 500+$ and get it?
If its just flat out not going to hold up, ill get what I need. but I assumed there would be an alternative instead of spending 1k plus for very little material. Does corbeaux or however you spell it use microsuede on their seats?
Even if I had to pay a little extra for treated it would be way heaped than alcantra.

What is used in the cobras? Newer challengers? Etc?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well.. I don't want overkill on it. I was just thinking if microsuede has held up for years on my couch of constant sitting and not being careful etc and still looks that good... With the 5 hours or less I'm in my car per week, Hell sometimes 2 months without driving if its under the knife.... Why not save 500+$ and get it?
If its just flat out not going to hold up, ill get what I need. but I assumed there would be an alternative instead of spending 1k plus for very little material. Does corbeaux or however you spell it use microsuede on their seats?
Even if I had to pay a little extra for treated it would be way heaped than alcantra.

What is used in the cobras? Newer challengers? Etc?
Yea, I know what you mean. The thing is though, you need to be careful. There are ALOT of different options for microsuede. Ultrasuede is pretty nice as well, but a little more expensive usually. Microsuede will hold up if you get the good stuff. I'd PM TransAmJam about the micro/ultrasuede. He did his homework on that ****...Whatever you do though, get a sample first. You need to make sure it stretches enough, and has the texture you want. You'll need a backed material for the seats most likely. With any luck you can find a company that offers the same or very similar materials in a backed and non backed version.

As for the Cobras and Challengers, I'm not 100% sure. I'm pretty sure the Termi's were just a normal suede, but as far as the newer cars, I'm not sure, I've never really paid attention to em. Challengers are probably suede, but Chrysler and Jeep are using alcantara in stuff like the Crossfire SRT-6 and the new Jeep SRT-8 thats supposed to come out in a few months, so the SRT-8 Challengers could have alcantara as well. I've driven a couple, and I never really paid attention, so I couldn't tell ya for sure.

Quick Reply: Dash pad cover pictures