Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dash pad cover pictures

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Default Dash pad cover pictures

Seeing as how difficult it is to get a used dash pad now I am contemplating getting one of the plastic covers that goes over the original, but I've never seen pictures of them install. Please post pics but again, only the plastic covers not the carpeted ones.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also interested... sick of staring at my cracked stock dash pad
Old 06-09-2011, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Have not seen any with the plastic, only carpeted ones
Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

In 4 pics too. Mine just recently formed a tiny little crack.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one and they arent worth a **** if you dont put in some effort... I put my cap on and all the broken pieces rattled underneath it.. sucked worse than seeing a broken dash.. my advice to you is to rough up the underside of the cap and glue your broken pieces to it but dont glue the broken pieces together.. i know it sounds stupid but thats the only way it worked for me... also, the lines dont sit flush with the dash line so be prepared for that. they also sit above the A pillars as well. Id say a normal person probably wouldnt notice but WE would. Also, there is not defrost vent, just an empty hole so you have to fill that with something.. for all this work, I would just buy a new one from NewGMparts.com search "crash pad"
Old 06-09-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i believe 6LE has a fix for this right HERE
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

6le is a vendor for the manufacturer of those caps, this is NOT his design. If it were, we wouldnt be having this conversation. He just started carrying them a couple of months ago so theyre kinda new to his lineup...
Old 06-10-2011, 07:35 AM
10 Second Club

I wonder if anyone has tried bondoing, sanding, and repainting theirs and how it came out. Those plastic covers just arent gonna cut it, especially for ~$150+ shipped.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Staging Lane

There is a sticky write-up on how to plastic weld and vinyl wrap your crash pad to look better than factory. I decided to give it a shot on Monday. The write-up is correct, it looks 10000x better than factory :] Until of course you realize, "SH*T! I live in Texas " Not 2 days later the adhesive holding the vinyl to the plastic dash underneath has bubbled up in this God-awful heat. I give it a week before it looks like absolute crap. I feel like Robin Williams in "Awakenings". Just spent $45ish that I should've just put toward replacing it with OEM.

Unless you think you have the worlds greatest adhesive, or live in a place where the summers don't reach above 90 (that totally bake your interior), don't even bother doing this. Just cry as you pay $280 for a part that's destined to fail again.

I hate factory ABS.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Has anyone tried to reinforce a brand new oem pad before initial install? I was thinking about getting a new one and maybe glassing the underside for added strength if there is room. If there isn't alot of space underneath, maybe a thin layer of just resin would be enough to keep it from cracking?
Old 06-10-2011, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

What the hell do you people do to your cars to be having these things crack all the time?! My car was in California for 8 years, and now Louisiana for 3 and I've pulled it out 2 or 3 times at least with no problems whatsoever. Looks like its brand new...

99Superhawk, what glue did you use? I live in Louisiana and have done a few pieces in my interior with DAP Contact Cement IIRC with no problems at all. If you do it RIGHT, it won't give you trouble...
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by squee
What the hell do you people do to your cars to be having these things crack all the time?! My car was in California for 8 years, and now Louisiana for 3 and I've pulled it out 2 or 3 times at least with no problems whatsoever. Looks like its brand new...

99Superhawk, what glue did you use? I live in Louisiana and have done a few pieces in my interior with DAP Contact Cement IIRC with no problems at all. If you do it RIGHT, it won't give you trouble...

as far as i know, they crack just because you looked at them wrong. mine has had a crack all the way through since i've had it, but since then another crack has started on the right side. it's horrible looking. i have tried so hard to get the rest of the car to where it is now, but there's just no real "fix" for the dash pad. i did glue it with black abs glue over some drywall mesh tape on the underside, and its definitely holding, but i couldn't get the panels to line up perfectly again.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

I live in FL so I guess thats a no go on the wrapping it.

People who've never had them removed have had the dash pads crack. Personally it was from pulling it too many times from wiring/gauges coming through the dash.

That is an interesting idea to reenforce a new one prior to its first install. Might help it survive in the long run. Still waiting on pics. I cant believe nobody has tried one of the covers yet.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

wimps............get a new 1........i did.......looks great !!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
wimps............get a new 1........i did.......looks great !!!!
Hey genius, not everybody wants to drop $2-300 on a stupid piece of plastic that has no function and probably cost $10 to make from GM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Hey genius, not everybody wants to drop $2-300 on a stupid piece of plastic that has no function and probably cost $10 to make from GM.
No function? How about a cosmetic one. Of course its not needed to run but please. Dont be a cheap ***. If for you serves no "function" then why do you care it it looks like ****?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

I does have a function. It's function is to not look like ****. I have no problems buying a new one but I refuse to have the new one crack just like my current one. That's why I'm looking to reinforce a brand new one somehow.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

^ I have done what you are talking about but there is only one problem, you cant make it too rigid because you have to be able to flex it quite a bit to het it between the A pillars, you can get a new one from newgmparts.com a friend of mine has one and says the quality is much better than the factory part. I put one in my car but I put a dash carpet over it the same day. That is the only way to protect it. I just slide it off when I go to a meet...
Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

What did you do to reinforce it? Resin? I think if I were to get a new one and just be really **** about never letting the dash sit in direct sunlight I'd be fine. It just grinds my gears because when I bought my SS 2 months ago the dash was perfect. I walk out to the car on the 2nd day of owning it and the dash pad is cracked in 3 places
Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

^ What do you expect, its like a giant potato chip... haha. heres a pic of mine when I first got my car.. I did the whole plastiweld thing but the second I picked it up and tried to flex it to put it back in,, snap crackle pop..

Quick Reply: Dash pad cover pictures